Learn Something New Everyday Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Double Rainbow guy apparently died a couple of months ago. :frown:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Today I read a report of what Universal Studios had conceptualized during the 90’s. What eventually came to be was Islands of Adventure. It was impressive when I saw it in 2001- especially Seuss Island. But it could’ve been so much more. If everything went through Universal might’ve blown Disney away.
There was a big park planned (a whole park, not just a section) based around Looney Tunes, and DC superheroes. There would have been big coasters and dark rides and interactive shows based on Batman and Superman. Negotiations broke down with Warner Brothers, who wanted a 10% royalty rate for the likeness of their characters in the parks. Universal offered 6% and would not budge.
Universal lost out on Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons (who would’ve had their own kiddie section), and DC. They did pick up Seuss, Marvel, Jay Ward’s Rocky and Bullwinkle, and much later Harry Potter.
But in 1996 Universal’s Roy Sheinberg told Warner’s “We don’t need your f&$@ing characters”. Warner dropped down to 7%, but Shriners wouldn’t budge. So Looney Tunes and DC went to Six Flags.
In Orlando, Disney is still #1, way ahead of Universal. But Universal’s cheapness cost them. Like I said, Islands of Adventure was pretty neat, but was only a remnant of what could’ve been.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
When I looked up who that is, I found out we had the same birthday (and she died on my dad’s birthday). In fact, here’s a list of other people with the same birthday as me:
  • Margaret Thatcher
  • Paul Simon
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Marie Osmond
  • Sacha Baron Cohen
  • Jason Friedberg (of Seltzer and Friedberg infamy)
  • The guy who plays Lucas on Stranger Things
  • One of the guys from BTS
Edit: I also found out I share my birthday with Bill Odenkirk, a writer for the Simpsons and Bob Odenkirk’s brother (he even guest starred in an episode Bill wrote that aired on his birthday last year). What’s even cooler is that I found out he was even born in the same city as me.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was born April 21, so I share my birthday with
Queen Elizabeth
Anthony Quinn
Iggy Pop
Tony Danza
I just squeezed into April 21. If I was born on April 20, I’d have to share my birthday with Hitler.
Thanks, Mom, for staying in labor one more hour!

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember. That’s also my parents anniversary. They’ll be married for 20 years next year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR actually isn't a fictionalization of Will Smith's life at all, it was based on another musician's life entirely.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
The Seattle Space Needle, like the Eiffel Tower before it, was built for a fair held in the city, then became a permanent fixture and eventually, the city’s icon.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I thought that was just a joke from a Simpsons episode. Guess I learned 2 things today.