Is there an overrated/underrated Muppet production?

Skywalker82

Reaction score
Muppets Take Manhattan: I always thought it was ok but give me the first 2 Muppet movies.

Labyrinth: Don't kill me man! but i like this movie but i like The Dark Crystal more as i grew up with TDC but didn't see Labyrinth until i was 10 and thought it was fine but no where near as mature or edgy or accomplished or world building as TDC plus TDC has a much better score than the Carpenter-esque one in Labyrinth. Bowie's songs i thought were terrible, i mean he is a talented actor/singer and the heroine was always a whiny one plus the villain was nowhere near the Skeksis.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Last night it was announced that Tough Pigs is having a "Muppetational May" challenge, with one of the entries being "most overrated Muppet production". Here's details on the whole thing...

http://www.toughpigs.com/muppetational-may/

I'll probably have difficulty determining an overrated production. If single episodes of shows can qualify, then I can think of a few TMS episodes I find overrated (Elton John, Harry Belafonte, Liberace, maybe Rudolph Nureya). I'll have to look back and see if I referred to anything as overrated here because there's so many Muppet productions that I don't think are really popular enough to be overrated. The closest I can think of is the 2011 film. I really like it fine, and it was the Muppet movie to bring the characters back to popularity (not to mention the highest-grossing Muppet film and the only one to win an Oscar), but at the same time, I feel like the popularity of this film hasn't helped the Muppets that much. I feel like it's the favorite Muppet movie of today's young generation, but also feel they aren't too aware of the previous movies or The Muppet Show. In fact I've talked with a few people who grew up when I did who also seem that way.

But I have plenty of time to decide. It's not the only difficult one for me to choose, but it is probably the most difficult. I'll have an easier time determining an underrated Muppet production (I feel like almost all of the specials are underrated, not to mention the Playhouse Videos and Muppets Most Wanted).

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
Underrated: Muppets from Space. It's funny, heartwarming, and provides a great origin story for Gonzo. I have no idea why so many people dislike it. Thankfully Gonzo said one line in The Muppets to confirm the movie is still canon ("People of earth!" when he blows up his business). Overrated: Sesame Street ever since Elmo :laugh: took over.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The hate for Muppets From Space is something I will never understand. Of all the muppet films made in the last 35 years, it captures the energy of the characters, franchise, and humor best. I will always stand by it.