Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
The next book I'm looking forward to reading,is Deana Martin's biography on her dad Dean Martin.I loved Ricci Martin's bio. on his dad,so I'm curious as to Deana's point of view,growing up with Dean as her father.:cool:

Whatever

Reaction score
I'm reading a biography of Diego Rivera. Before that I read an excellant book called The Rule of Four.

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
I finally caught up on "The Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun. :flirt:
Now I've read all of 25 books, I'm waiting for 26 in arrive in paperback.
(The Cat Who Talked Turkey)

Currently I'm reading 'An American Life by Ronald Reagan' (his autobiography).
I love reading biographies and books on historic events.
:excited:

superfan

Reaction score
Talk about jumping into a thread...ah, better late than never, eh!
:smile:
My fave author is Roddy Doyle. Honestly, his Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, the Snapper and The Van) were hilarious. He has written a couple more serious themed books, equally as lovely.
I also enjoyed:
Roots
Sarum (Edward Rutherford)
The Chronicles of Narnia (as afore mentioned, they are spectacular)
Any book by Isaac Asimov...I'm plugging through the Foundation Trilogy...
V.C. Andrews
some Stephen King

...and the bestest book ever (as I read multiple times as both child and adult)

The BFG (or Big Friendly Giant) by Roald Dahl.
My, God, that book tapped the imagination part of my brain big time. This whole catching dreams in the sky, mixing them in bottles to create a message....wonderful imagery, lemme tell ya.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I'm a huge Stephen King fan.Read Green Mile 3 times back to back(have done that with most of his books). Roald Dahl is a terrific author. I used to enjoy the early John Saul too.:zany:

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Just found the thread. I think the title should be changed, whenever I saw it I thought it was a survey of who would post in a great books thread!!

Anyway, I am a big fan of Victor Hugo; and after a year I finally finished Les Miserables; loved it- it's fab!! Got Notre Dame de Paris at Christmas, so I'm about to brave reading that!!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Just started reading Stephen King's Carrie,better than I thought it would be.Also have my Dune series(on God Emperor,4th book),Jerry Miller's memoir & Sidney Poitier's memoir on the side to read after Carrie.I'm starting to head back to the library more often these days,I can never get enough of reading.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I really want to read Les Miserables. Haven't braved that one yet...
Erin

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Victor Hugo's not an easy one to get through, even though his stories are interesting. Favorite book that I HAVEN'T had to read for school lately: The Five-Minute Iliad and Other Classics. Normally, I'm a little wary of the whole "let's parody some classics" thing, since it's been done it almost seems to death, but this book is very funny, and most certainly far funnier if one has read all the books, not that it's entirely necessary. My personal favorite had to be the five-minute Dorian Gray, though I'm also fond of the five-minute Inferno, in limerick form. (Course, I also was in the middle of Dante for school...) A book I feel I can't reccomend enough is The Little Prince. As you all probably know by now, I love my children's literature, and I just can't get enough of this one. It's a very sweet book, and has got enough wisdom for a person of any age.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree, Little Prince is a great book. I also read Le Petit Prince in French! :cool:
Erin