Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

christyb

Reaction score
Ok. I thought before I found what I found that the "orginal" was a hoax. Boy am I confused. Oh well. To finalize (not to mention my head hurts for thinking about this too much) Whatever it is it's a good book and I give up trying to figure this out. (maybe there's something floating out there that's a oh I give up.) I read a book similar to Goldman's but it obviously ain't it. :confused: . I give up. LoL.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
In writing it, he tries to satirize historical adventures like "Ivanhoe" and the like, which have a lot of "good parts" but a lot of bring political stuff too. In the "good parts" version, there are all these great editorial asides where Goldman explains what's missing, why he decided to cut it, and why all of the Florinese scholars are furious with him. All fake. (Also, there's no countries of Florin and Guilder. Morgenstern was said to be from Florin).

Hope this helps. I love the fact that he pulls this off. There are also great moments in the book where he tells you to write to the publisher for a particularly interesting deleted moment. He gives you the address. Of course, there's no such moment for them to send, so they get a bunch of letters they can't answer.

christyb

Reaction score
haha. So what I can't type. I meant it is a great book. But I did figure out the problem though. The second book I read is another Good Parts edition. It was had so much tape on it that I only could see Pricess Bride and Morgenstern. Also pages were missing (however I didn't skip a beat in the story) and the "abridged notes" weren't italized. So officially I'm an idiot and very embarrassed :embarrassed: . So the moral of the story. Avoid sticking your foot in your mouth.

christyb

Reaction score
Just thought of something. I do not have a habit of going and taking masking tape off of repaired books. And I do not recommend it. It's just that curiousity was getting the better of me.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
christyb said:
So officially I'm an idiot and very embarrassed :embarrassed: . So the moral of the story. Avoid sticking your foot in your mouth.
No, that one got everyone. Especially if you first heard of the book when you were younger, it's natural to take it at face value. I didn't know about the "hoax" until my sister told me.

christyb

Reaction score
So I shouldn't feel as bad? Well back to books. Anyone read The Once and Future King (I'm pretty sure that's the title)? It's supposed to be the best of the King Arthur books.

Whatever

Reaction score
christyb said:
So I shouldn't feel as bad? Well back to books. Anyone read The Once and Future King (I'm pretty sure that's the title)? It's supposed to be the best of the King Arthur books.
Yes, it's great.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
So, has anyone read Jerry Jenkins "Left Behind" series? A exciting thrilling tale about the last days of Earth? There is twelve in the series and the last is coming out in March, can't wait!

So, has anyone else read these?
Dude! I've read most of the teen series, and my brother's read, like, all of the adult version!

christyb

Reaction score
The Left Behind series is good. And I'm about halfway through The Once and Future King. So far I like it.