Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

Beebers

Reaction score
Yikes, yours is a stronger stomach than mine. Helter Skelter . . . terrifying. I can't deal with reading true crime because for me the crime itself, that it happened at all, is awful enough let alone to read a book about it lol. It is true that the Amityville books are not true.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
That's a really great trilogy. I was sorta bummed because I read "The Golden Compass" and "The Subtle Knife" came out a couple months later, then I had to wait however many years it was for the last book. I was very glad when it finally came out! They're very well-written and intriguing, if a little on the depressing side.
Erin
That happened to us with Harry Potter. We got into the books a few months before the fourth book came out, so it was a great run there for a while. Then we had to wait three years (!) for the (admittedly great) fifth book. At least we had the movies to tide us over...

As for "His Dark Materials" we're really enjoying them, but we tend to skip the grisly parts (of which there are quite a few). I've been doing most of the reading lately, so I'll just end up paraphrasing those bits.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
That happened to us with Harry Potter. We got into the books a few months before the fourth book came out, so it was a great run there for a while. Then we had to wait three years (!) for the (admittedly great) fifth book. At least we had the movies to tide us over...

As for "His Dark Materials" we're really enjoying them, but we tend to skip the grisly parts (of which there are quite a few). I've been doing most of the reading lately, so I'll just end up paraphrasing those bits.
Argh, that Harry Potter wait was so awful! What a pain... I hope it doesn't take six years this time!!!

Ah, so you're a "good parts version" kinda guy? :stick_out_tongue: My dad would read books to me up through... I don't know, probably late into high school. He did a bit of censoring, I think. Though with Tolkien, it was mostly the Elvish he skipped over - because he couldn't pronounce it. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Earwaxboy

Reaction score
Belgariad

My absolute favorite series is the Belgariad by David Eddings. It's the absolute most incredible series I have ever read. It's kind of Tolkien-ish in story line, though not in dialogue-much easier to follow and stay interested in. The Lord of the Rings comes in a close second, but I'm sure a million other people have and will write about that so I'll close for now :halo:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Argh, that Harry Potter wait was so awful! What a pain... I hope it doesn't take six years this time!!!

Ah, so you're a "good parts version" kinda guy? :stick_out_tongue: My dad would read books to me up through... I don't know, probably late into high school. He did a bit of censoring, I think. Though with Tolkien, it was mostly the Elvish he skipped over - because he couldn't pronounce it. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
Yeah, I think the new HP book will be out earlier than the last (I hope). I think JK Rowling said the writing is going really well.

As for "the good parts," well, usually we read the whole thing--I guess we're more of the "non-grisly-parts version" kind of people... Bad things happening to little animals, etc..., doesn't sit well with us...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
As for "the good parts," well, usually we read the whole thing--I guess we're more of the "non-grisly-parts version" kind of people... Bad things happening to little animals, etc..., doesn't sit well with us...
Yeah, it was the same with me. Not a big fan of violence... Hehe, I just got a flashback to Radar on the M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye operated on his rabbit and he couldn't watch: "People bad stuff isn't as bad as rabbit bad stuff." :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Earwaxboy said:
My absolute favorite series is the Belgariad by David Eddings. It's the absolute most incredible series I have ever read. It's kind of Tolkien-ish in story line, though not in dialogue-much easier to follow and stay interested in. The Lord of the Rings comes in a close second, but I'm sure a million other people have and will write about that so I'll close for now :halo:
Hm, I've never heard of that series. It sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out! :smile: I just saw a book today, I think called "Fire Bringer," that looked really intriguing. There was a blurb on the front that said it did for deer what "Watership Down" did for rabbits. That's one of my all-time favorite books. I think I'd like to read this deer book one of these days...
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
"People bad stuff isn't as bad as rabbit bad stuff." :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
That's very true. It always bothers me most when an animal is in peril...

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Books for Thought

:excited: Hiya.I know this is an old book,but one I've just started to get into for the first time Frank Herbert's Dune.I'm learning a lot about life lessons from it.

I agree with Green Mile.Couldn't get into it at first(the individual series books),but once I saw the movie & understood what the book was about; I read the book 3 times back to back(one of King's present bests).I'm a big King fan.

I also like and recommend Deliverance(James Dickey).Read that over and over and as well.

My aunt got me started into Terry Pratchett's Discworld series,love it.

The HP series,are very good,read all of them several times.

Haunted Houses of the United States,I've read so many times,lost count.

I mostly read horror,sci-fi & books turned into movies.

I love sign-language books too(been signing since 9,highly encourage it).

Last book I recommend,hard to find book(found a copy on ebay),another one my aunt got me into: The Ultimate Game(thriller,every victim is left with a playing card,keeps you guessing 'til the end).

That's all I have to add for now.Thanks. :crazy:

Golden teeth & golden tones.Welcome to my presence.-Dr. Teeth :big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
John Grisham's - The Last Juror is what I am reading at present, I'll give a full report on the book when I've finished it.

__

John Fisherman's - T' laster undeaded jurypooler ees vat me reader nowaload. I'll heeby-jeeber reporter-post erf de bookerwormcanner ven finished be I, see? Noodles!