Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I haven't seen "Eddie and the Cruisers," but I know that part of it was filmed where I went to college. Maybe that's a reason I should see it... That, or the Rambo references...

Beebers

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Sadly, no... But I have seen all of the Rocky movies. Is that close enough? :wink:
You goof! LOL. YO, no, it's not close enough! Jeez . . . *laughing*

I'll still dance with ya though.

Jennifer 12, it was A Season In **** that you're thinking of, it's Rimbaud's best-known work, not referenced in E & C.

:cool:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Beebers said:
You goof! LOL. YO, no, it's not close enough! Jeez . . . *laughing*
I'm sorry... I just can't help myself sometimes. The worse the joke, the more likely I'm gonna say it...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beebers said:
A Frenchman of Victorian times whose lifestyle would be viewed with a very jaundiced eye indeed in today's world. He died young, worn away by his own choices, and never wrote a word after the age of twenty. Fascinating brilliant creature. Anyway. A lot of poetry for me, lately.
Wow, nothing after the age of 20? These teen prodigies make me so jealous... Though it sounds like his lifestyle wasn't something to be jealous of. I've finished "Eragon," and it was ok, but it really didn't grab me. I thought it was really dark, lacking in humor, and I just couldn't bring myself to care too much about the characters of the world they were situated in. Everyone keeps comparing it to LOTR, but I don't really see it. The closest comparison I'd draw would be with Anne McCaffrey, with the whole Dragonrider thing. She liked it... Oh, well, can't please everybody, I guess. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Wow, nothing after the age of 20? These teen prodigies make me so jealous... Though it sounds like his lifestyle wasn't something to be jealous of.
Well, yes, he was one of those Tormented Brilliant Talents, as so often happens in the arts.
I've been going through a Bad Patch lately and spent a couple of all-nighters tearing my hair out over things and surfing poetry. I fell over Rimbaud's work during that, we certainly never were taught him in school. I think I know why but I also think he should be taught. Won't happen, his lifestyle was, well, would be considered controversial. I don't find it to be but, so, zee public schools won't go near him. Too bad. And, interestingly, he grew up amongst Utter Dolts, his family were. But no, you would not have wanted his life lol.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah very. Much, much, desperate!

Shame that it will... A. not be in England for a while, and B. not be in the library for a while after that.

BTW, have you read them? and/or do you get to read teh last one early if you work there? :wink:
Oh, I forgot they come out on a different day in England. :sympathy: I've only read the first one, so I've got a lot of catching up to do before I can read the last one. :stick_out_tongue: A good friend of mine is a huge fan of the series, and she wanted to get the book yesterday. I wonder if she did... I noticed that somebody who works at Walden's was reading it before the appointed date; it was sitting on the desk in the back with the inside flap holding a page near the end. I think we got them in a couple weeks early. But we'd be in biiiiiiig trouble if we put them out for sale before yesterday! :eek: They said our store could get shut down for doing that. Yikes!
Erin

Whatever

Reaction score
I'm reading a few Westerns by Zane Grey. Not bad, although Westerns aren't my favorites.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
We're still finishing up "The Amber Spyglass," not able to read more than a few pages a night unless we're on a road trip and have lots of car time. Still, we've been enjoying the whole series of "His Dark Materials" very much.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
That's a really great trilogy. I was sorta bummed because I read "The Golden Compass" and "The Subtle Knife" came out a couple months later, then I had to wait however many years it was for the last book. I was very glad when it finally came out! They're very well-written and intriguing, if a little on the depressing side.
Erin

countfanatic

Reaction score
Oh, I love to read! The kind of books that I enjoy are the more scarier type. I read about the paranormal I read one called Haunted America and Hauntings! Real Life Encounters With Troubled Spirits. I have read all three Amityville books, They were good but I heard they were not true. I have read other Ghost stories. I also like to read about Vampyres. One of the books had different short stories. Right now I'm into two books, One of them Is called Helter Skelter-The Manson story and the other one is called The Journal of Eleanor Druse-My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident. This one is from the Kingdom Hospital series on ABC-TV. that one is Good! The Manson book is really detailed and it has pictures! Iam half-way through both books. I have read other books but I can't remember the titles! I don't think I would/could read anyother type of book. I tried but the horror ones get my interest.