If Jim hadn't died in 1990

unclematt

Reaction score
Still the Muppet movies were coming out through the eighties and TMS reran forever.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not much was really kept afloat after Jim died. Efforts were less consistent. I really do feel the Muppets have been coasting for over decade and a half. If Jim hadn't died - Disney would have kept the Muppet brand strong to please him and allowed him to branch out into other media. The separation of properties among Disney, Henson Co, Henson Legacy and Sesame Workshop really do serve them and us better. I don't always like it and think they could stand to play better with one another (the Emmet Otter Kermit cuts were asinine) but in time it could improve. Each company is trying to strenthen the brands they own.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
One thing I wanted to comment on, and it's kind of incredible to think about, is that the time that has passed since Jim Henson's death (almost eighteen years now) has been longer than the amount of time in which he had really experienced success with his characters, which was only about fourteen years. The Muppet Show, at least according to Frank Oz on Henson's Place, was really the start of Jim Henson's big success. I personally would have considered him a success long before that with how creative and humorous his creations have always been, but in terms of fame and fortune, his success started with The Muppet Show. Sesame Street was a success, but in a different way than The Muppet Show, which was the kind of show Jim really wanted to be doing for several years. With The Muppet Show came an explosion of merchandise and opportunities that he hadn't had before. But since his death, I agree with Jamie. It does seem like the Muppets have sort of been coasting... for eighteen years. It just feels so odd to me that it's been so long. What came about during those fourteen years seems to be so much more than what's happened in the last eighteen. Not the amount, necessarily, but the type of things being produced.

And, don't get me wrong with that last comment, I really enjoy the majority of work the Muppets have put out since Henson's death, and I think, for the most part, those who have continued his legacy have done very well. It just seems like there should be more. I'm hoping a lot comes of the next couple of planned films (Muppets, Fraggles, etc.).

unclematt

Reaction score
I still think the brands would be stronger if they were all together. One of thier strengths was the cross over factor. We have lost that.

unclematt

Reaction score
It is hard to believe that we are a few days away from 18 years since we lost him. I remember it like yesterday.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had a very short and good chat with a customer the other day about this same thought. We were talking about Will Ferel, and how when he does a comody it is really great and very funny. Then he will go and do a drama and it stinks. The cutsmoer slams her hand on the counter and says "I just wish people would make up there mind what they want to be!" I had to agree with her, and state i knew what she was talking about. I think that Jim should have focased more on the Muppets and making them even more better and things like that. Just like I think JHC Should do to.
I overheard some people discussing Will Ferrell recently, though they said that it's hard for him to always be funny because he does so many movies a year.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think Will Ferrell could make that jump to a serious actor. I like him alot

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It's funny the things that Jim made that where succsussful and the ones that did not do so good.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
If Jim Wasn't Dead I would wish I could meet him right now.

unclematt

Reaction score
I would love to meet him. I have also been looking for an authentic Jim Autograph and I can only find preprints