Ice Age: Blue Sky's Answer to Shrek?

C to the J

Reaction score
Here's an article I found of John Leguizamo's thoughts on the Ice Age franchise. I'm sure it'll make the naysayers roll their eyes.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/en...secret-of-ice-age-franchise-is-lots-of-heart/

Apparently, certain film franchises last long because there's more to them than meets the eye. You gotta admit, John does a pretty good Pinky Lee impression when he performs Sid.

I guess it'll be a long, long time before we see Scrat and his acorn frozen in a block of ice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The film does well in countries where lousier, action driven movies (cough cough Transformers) usually do well, whereas comedies don't translate well. Mostly China.

I do like the characters, I do like Ice Age, but they should have thrown in the towel after the last film for quality's sake, but money beats quality, so quantity will keep this going. Angry Birds barely makes back its low budget in the US, and it even opened slightly better. Ice Age must've fallen pretty low domestically, but that *&^% same market that made hits out of garbage like Tarzan and Warcraft.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hopefully if China is done with them then they'll stop making movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I almost feel like because Ice Age surpassed Shrek in number of sequels that that may be playing a factor in while Shrek is suddenly being rebooted.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say the major factor was the steady string of audience alienating movies and poor timing that lead to so many narrow losses (if any, they made back over their production budgets) being the reason why they'd make another Shrek.

As for Ice Age, well, it sucks that Blue Sky's best film was merely animated by them. Then again, considering it was written by Schluz's kids who have a very tight grip on the Peanuts, maybe that was a good thing. I really want to like Blue Sky more, but it seems that their movies (minus Peanuts) somehow manage to fall flat in some aspect. I think as far as ones they made go, Robots was the strongest. And I'm not saying that because I'm a huge Robin Williams or Mel Brooks fan. They built an amazing world in that one instead of just piling on characters like the IA movies. And it didn't do well, it was quickly forgotten, the toys were cleared out without fanfare, straight to the 5 dollar bin. And it's a real shame. The one where William Joyce designed the characters was better than the one based off his book. Though, to be fair, I never saw Epic the whole way through, but liked the beginning.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ice Age 5 has basically wrapped up domestically with a meager $63 million, that's almost $100 million below the previous low for the series domestically, which was $161 million for Ice Age 4. Worldwide they've raked in $400 million, good for an animated movie, yes, good for an Ice Age movie, NO. It barely beats out Ice Age 1 and is less then half of what the last two made worldwide, even if it reaches $500 million, it's a massive disappointment considering how much the others made.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, it looks like we may not be getting that sixth ICE AGE movie they've been hinting about for years.

However, it's been confirmed that Crash, Eddie, and Buck are getting their own spin-off series.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Thank god. As someone who never really liked the franchise to begin with, I've been waiting for its demise ever since its fans said it was starting to go downhill.

My biggest fear for the franchise was that, after Disney bought Fox, they'd make a 6th movie (because money), and with the recent trend of yeti-themed animated movies (such as Warner's Smallfoot and Dreamworks' Abominable), they'd have the characters meet a yeti, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose dialogue was nothing but cheesy ice puns (leave a like if you get the reference).