IAVMMCM - Thoughts?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just rewatched It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, since I obught the dvd last christmas. And you know, I really do like this film. It's alot more muppety that MWoO was, in my opinion. The Muppets Wizard of Oz had a few good scenes but honestly, I can't remember most of them, and overall it didn't stand out. But this special I really liked. It had that whole 'spirit of christmas' thing going for it. Plus I love love LOVE how the characters are just playing themselves and not other characters. In my opinion that hasn't been done enough lately.

But what do you guys think of this special? It will probably be airing on TV pretty soon, if it hasn't already. Do you think it's too trendy, trying to make reference to recent movies? Or do you think it's got the muppet spirit? In comparison to it's tv movie counterpart, MWoO, which one is better?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. I especially like the nod to It's A Wonderful Life with Kermit wishing he'd never been born and then seeing what his friend's lives would be without him. It's got a nice heartwarming message all wrapped up in a nice Muppety package.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It was alright, the humor mostly missed the target. I'm not sure I'd see it again. It had a little bit of 'magic' though. The main thing I liked about the special was Kermit realizes he should never have wished he'd never been born. It was very uplifting. And I enjoyed seeing Scooter again.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I wish some of the humor wasn't so dated (I watched it this weekend and cringed a little at the fake Steve Irwin bit), but overrall I really do like it. I mean sure, it's no Muppet Movie, but I thought (and still do) that it was an honest step in the right direction. The best parts are the Muppets being the Muppets. Both Cusack and Arquette also worked well with the Muppets, which also added to it.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Truely this is one of my favorite modern muppets movies along with Muppet Treasure Island.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I liked that movie! It ws the best thing staring the Muppetes in a very long time. And Kermit got his original personality back, too. I think it a lot of fun.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
redBoobergurl said:
I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. I especially like the nod to It's A Wonderful Life with Kermit wishing he'd never been born and then seeing what his friend's lives would be without him. It's got a nice heartwarming message all wrapped up in a nice Muppety package.
I saw it once on TV years ago. It's something how The muppets and others have priorized the It's a Wonderfull Life movie.

superboober

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. It shows the magic's still there if any choose to look for it. It was nice to see the focus go back on Kermit after they'd drifted a bit away from him for a while, and the frog shows his full range as an actor, so to speak. Somehow the world without him does have a bit of an actual bad ring (although Bouncer Beaker comes off as a bit unintentionally hilarious...or maybe they intended it that way?). I was a little worried when they made it clear Frank Oz had moved on, but Eric Jacobson's more than ready for the roles. I agree it was great to have Scooter and Rowlf again, although more of Robin probably would have been better; perhaps showing a little more of what he'd have become without Kermit would have been a more emotional trip for his uncle. But that's just a minor nitpick; the humor is great (especially Fozzie's mad dash to deposit the money in time), and the heart is there. Hopefully some network will make it an annual event.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Well I don't think ABC or CBS would pick it up with all the NBC throwbacks :wink: