How is Jerry Nelson doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
Shannon, The other message I sent to you was meant for Gonzo's Hobbit. you could do it too, just for fun. I was mixed up, Sorry.

I appreciate your enjoyment of the shows and the work(Play).
Thanks for your good wishes and love,
Jerry Nelson
I'm so excited to hear back from you. It made my day, really. It's so cool to be able to talk to you. I wanted to tell you my mom used to call me ShannonGoboDannon when I was little because Gobo was all I talked about when I was five years old to now. I'm still a huge fan. I litterally take my plush Gobo every where. I took him camping and into surgery just this past October. I can't even begin to tell you what an impact you playing Gobo Fraggle has made on my life. My hands are shaking just typing this!
Thank you sooo much for replying to me. I'm so excited! You are for sure in my prayers and I really hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I'm planning on watching A Muppet Christmas Carol tonight.
Love,
Shannon
P. S.: Bless us all is my favorite Muppet Song ever. :smile:
P. P. S. : I'm also thinking about doing my Extended Essay for I.B. next year on the Muppet/Fraggle Rock shows would you mind answering some questions?
Thanks a bunch,
Shannon

Edradour

Reaction score
Jerry, thank you for...more than I could ever think to type here.

Happy Holidays!

Dearth

Reaction score
Jerry,

I don't know how I've missed this thread, so I'm a bit amazed at the moment.

I just want to say that your talent has had a huge impact on my life.

I was about six when the Muppet Show aired, so I saw these shows at a very formative time. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I was able to see them differently than other people were... I could figure out the sleight of hand at a time when most people my age weren't even ready to wonder how something plainly impossible was achieved.

(Even recently, I was talking to a friend who has DONE puppet shows and he said it never occurred to him that puppets like Rowlf required a second puppeteer for the other hand.)

And yet, figuring out the tricks to the magic made it all the more brilliant to me. I saw the creative solutions, the genius, and the sheer assemblage of talent that was overcoming the technical issues. And those are qualities that I have always strived to bring to every artistic endeavour that I've undertaken... whether as a cartoonist, actor, director, improv comedian, diorama builder, action figure customizer, writer, or editor.

My wife is ten years older than I am, and she has come to appreciate my formative lessons at the metaphorical knee of the Muppets in the last couple of years. I have rediscovered the programs on DVD for our kids, which began me talking about the people involved and how I consider them all idols.

Her maiden name, by the way, is Nelson. It's become something of a running joke between us, because we'll be watching a show that she's unfamiliar with, and she'll ask which performer is doing a particular voice... and nine times out of ten, my answer is "Jerry Nelson", so she has a very personal fondness for your amazing range.

Somehow, she had never seen Emmet Otter until earlier this month. She'd heard me sing songs from the show, and she had heard the powerful rendition of "When the River Meets the Sea" which you and Louise Gold sang at Jim Henson's memorial service. But she'd never seen the entire special in context.

My youngest son observed that Emmet Otter's voice sounded kinda like Gobo Fraggle, or Robin. I just grinned from ear to ear. He's definitely wired like me for that kind of stuff. My wife answered him knowingly... "That's Jerry Nelson."

Anyway, your pebble is definitely still rippling in our pond here, and will for a very long time. Thanks for all the laughs, and even the tears.

Alex Newborn and family

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Jerry, I just want to say something I bet you are tired of hearing, but I'll say it anyway. You, sir, are an inspiration to me in the world of puppeteering. I adore every character you've performed (Mainly Gobo, The Trash Heap, Mr. Johnson and The Count of Sesame Street, and how can I forget Floyd Pepper and Lew Zealand) as each one you seem to have a different voice for (Okay to be fair, Gobo does sound like Johnson in some bits).

I too am an aspiring puppeteer and voice artist (You wouldn't believe the amount of Muppet voices I can do almost spot on) and I always look at the original Muppeteers (Including the likes of you, Richard Hunt, Jim Henson, of course, Frank Oz, and even Steve Whitmire) for inspiration. Funny thing is, voice wise, I can do a lot of Oz and Henson's stuff. I'm trying to work on Whitmire type voices (Think Wembley, Rizzo, or the mouse from Secret Life of Toys).

I am simply honored just to type this message to a living legend such as yourself, but enough brown nosery, I hope to hear from you in the future and if you're still in touch with some of the other Muppeteers (Like Whitmire), let them know that they inspire me.

Best wishes,

James M. Bowen

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Nelson,
In October I cut a tendon while acting. I've nearly got all of my motion back. I squeezed my stuffed Gobo with my right hand for the first time in two months about a week ago. I grabbed something and Gobo was the first thing I really wanted to hold and clutch. I really hope you had a fantastic Christmas and you have a very Happy New Year. I'm also very excited because I can draw again. The first thing I drew was Gobo and Wembly. Gobo used to inspire me to do everything when I was little and even now Gobo seems to inspire me to do the impossible. Thanks Mr. Nelson for beging awesome and totally inspirational!
Love so so much,
Shannon. :smirk:

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that Jerry is still working, despite his illness. The Count was always pretty funny on Sesame Street.

Fraggline

Reaction score
Dear Jerry Nelson,
I'm just another fan, kind of insignificant, because I bet you have bigger fans, but it's just that I've often dreamed of having a chance to say something to you. Thank you for joining this forum.
I really admire you because you can create really wonderful voices for your characters; some of my favorites are Marjory the Trash Heap, Robin, and Gobo.
I once heard Mr. Johnson while my sister was watching Sesame Street, and I thought to myself, "Gee, I don't know how anyone could come up with his voice! It's not your typical puppet show voice, and it's so realistic yet perfect for a puppet! I'd like to know who the genius behind him is." Now I do.
One more reason why I admire you: I was once reading a book and I came across a story about one of the times you saw Jim Henson get mad --- when you weren't included in a script and threw it out to show how upset you were; after all, even though you didn't have a part, you were told to come in for the reading.
Tears come to my eyes as I remember this. I hate being left out, and you reacted just how I would have. That's when you became my favorite Muppeteer.
Is it possible to feel as if you know somebody you've never even met?
Have a great day today,
Fraggline

Puckrox

Reaction score
Jerry,

You're a terrific man, a talented muppeteer, and a wonderful role model. Thank you for bringing such joy to so many people. :smirk:

-- Julia

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Nelson,
I saw the traveling Jim Henson's Fantastic World museum for my birthday. [I turned 16] and it was the highlight of I think my forever because Gobo was at the very end of the exhibit and I think it made me the most happy to see Gobo and Cantus at the end of the exhibit because they were always my favorites when I was little. :smirk:
~Shannon

Status
Not open for further replies.