Herbert Birdsfoot

Ziffel

Reaction score
Did Grover really slap Herbie's back too? I don't recall ever seeing that happen. But I sure do recall Grover doing that to Kermit a bunch of times. One of my favorites of Herb and Grover together is that one where Grover was afraid of his own shadow until Herb came along and explained to Grover that it was not a stranger following him but just a shadow.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I think the main reason why they didn't keep Herbert was actually because not that many people liked him. I mean, his lectures were kind of plain, and didn't really go anywhere. And he was a real person, just like a regular schoolteacher, and I think most little kids tend to like monsters and other creatures better. I mean, Kermit is OBVIOUSLY more popular than Herbert.

Censored

Reaction score
Some people have said that Herbert Birdsfoot looked and sounded like Ned Flanders from the Simpsons.

Censored

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Well, I think the main reason why they didn't keep Herbert was actually because not that many people liked him. I mean, his lectures were kind of plain, and didn't really go anywhere. And he was a real person, just like a regular schoolteacher, and I think most little kids tend to like monsters and other creatures better. I mean, Kermit is OBVIOUSLY more popular than Herbert.
True, Herbert Birdsfoot's character didn't really have a "gimmick" to define him. I suppose they could have developed his character and given him more personality, but since he was basically just there to do the same things that Kermit could do, they probably figured it wasn't worth it. Still, Herbert Birdsfoot was a part of my childhood and there are a lot of nostalgic memories about his skits with Grover. Like Farley, he was another minor character whose voice seemed to appear on Sesame Street records and albums a lot.

BEAR

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Well, I think the main reason why they didn't keep Herbert was actually because not that many people liked him. I mean, his lectures were kind of plain, and didn't really go anywhere. And he was a real person, just like a regular schoolteacher, and I think most little kids tend to like monsters and other creatures better.
Yeah, he basically did things that Bob would usually do I think. Only difference is Grover couldn't slap Bob on the back and knock him over.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Here's a transcript of a Herbert Birdsfoot and Grover sketch, where Grover calls him "Herbie baby". I thought there had been some confusion on that, so assuming the transcriber is correct, Grover did call Herbert "Herbie baby" sometimes and I imagine he gave him a good slap on the back sometime throughout the years.
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/grocount.html

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
And here's a transcript of a skit with Ernie and Herb. Wow! There's definitely some good stuff here I need to see sometime.
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/vacuum.html

Actually, just check out the whole site. There's tons of great song lyrics, song files, and even sketch transcripts and some classic video clips!
:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
The last time he was ever on the show was in a 30th Season episode in an old skit when Ernie throws a surprize Party for Bert. It's the same episode when it was Linda's Birthday and Snuffy goes into Oscar's Can. It's funny how even though he only lasted a few years, they continued to air his old skits for over 25 years. While charachters like Roosevelt Franklin, and Profesor Hastings, they pulled all the old skits with them when they no longer appeared in any new material.
I think that Rosevelt Franklin also appeared in that skit.