Hate Jessie

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Never heard of it, but then again, I've really had no reason to watch Disney Channel in about a hundred years or so.

I haven't even really heard a whole lot of positive things about any of their shows within the last several years or so anyway.

EDIT: Took at look at Disney's official site... not too hard to believe they found yet ANOTHER clone of Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Demi Lovato (back when they all looked the same)... do they intentionally go out and look for girls who look like this?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Actually, the girl who plays Jessie was originally on The Suite Life on Deck. She actually used to be somewhat tolerable on that show until they turned her into an obnoxious, bratty snob, which she now seems to be typecast. She was on The Haunting Hour as, again, an obnoxious, bratty, snob popular girl.

I can always find SOMETHING good about Disney shows, but with Jessie, I just can't do that. I have always considered Jessie to be Disney's worst show, but I think that title goes to Dog With a Blog now

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The show really doesn't have much going for it. Oh hey! Let's make on kid Indian! A well of un-clever jokes and stereotypes to pluck from him! And the butler's so one-note, it hurts.

I agree with Sgt Floyd, there can be a little good in each show. I don't like ANT Farm, but I like that it takes a little surrealist form occasionally. The Disney XD sitcoms really go for surrealism/fantasy instead of just being vehicles for singers.

los

Reaction score
The racist stereotyping of Indians and sassy "urban" youths.
Disrespect of adults like the butler.
Praising irresponsible adoption practices.
Horndog antics of a prepubescent boy.
Shallow indulgences in texting money and fashion by young girls.

What is not to love?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The problem is that unwritten rule in television that all series HAVE to include at least ONE ethnic character in the cast, because apparently an all-white cast is seen as offensive and non-inclusive by today's standards... but at the same time, it comes to the point where writers tend to make the ethnic characters more like caricatures of their ethnicity, which in turn, causes that ethnic group to cry out in offense over their people being portrayed in such stereotypical manners.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Speaking of stereotypes, has anyone complained about Baljeet on Phineas and Ferb?

Aside from his over obsession with getting good grades, I can't really find anything offensive about him.

(and only the writers of P&F could make a punk song about good grades awesome)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've heard a very small number complaints about Dr. Vindaloo from COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG being a negative stereotype, and an even smaller number about Di Lung as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of stereotypes, has anyone complained about Baljeet on Phineas and Ferb?

Aside from his over obsession with getting good grades, I can't really find anything offensive about him.

(and only the writers of P&F could make a punk song about good grades awesome)
Because he's too funny. If Apu from The Simpsons still flies, I see no problem with Baljeet. Seriously... I wanna hijack this thread to rave about Phineas and Ferb. Even their Fruit Punch tastes great. I could go on endlessly complaining about how crummy the sitcoms are, but I could care less about them now, as Phineas and Ferb revitalized Disney Television animation. Seriously... Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and the Marvel shows (though they're produced by Film Roman).... we've come a long way from unsellable Hanna Montana and Jonahs Brothers merchandise being shoved down our throats.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
If I may, I'd like to get this thread back on topic. I hate to sound like a schoolmarm/moral guardian, but I dislike that show, too, mainly because of how rotten those kids on it are. I don't expect every kid on TV to be a perfect angel (that would be pretty grating, too), but there is a gray area between that and being bratty, disrespectful, and never getting punished for it. Just my thoughts....

Reactions: los