Hate Jessie

galagr

Reaction score
After seeing this thread I decided to check this monstrosity out. Let's just say I can agree with you in saying that Jessie is terrible. They use that flippin' laugh track EVERY...30...SECONDS

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I mean, it's Disney Channel. Don't expect Frasier-quality programming from them. (Except their animated programs. The fish one excluded).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Of all the things to complain about, the laugh track is the least of its problems :stick_out_tongue:

Still, watch Dog With a Blog. THAT is a HUGE monstrosity. I didn't think Disney's writing could get any worse, but it did. You've got the typical clueless idiot, the "sassy" girl who comes off as annoying, inept "I'm cool, let's be my kid's friend" parents who are morons, and the show just isn't funny. Cringeworthy would be too nice.

Even Jessie I might get a laugh at every now and then. Dog With a Blog just makes me want to facepalm.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's an art to using a laugh track correctly, and these kidcoms made by Disney and such really don't know how to master it... they figure since kids don't have a well-developed sense of humor that excessive use of a laugh track will make the show seem funnier, when it really only makes matter worse.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I mean, it's Disney Channel. Don't expect Frasier-quality programming from them.
You mean the show that got downright terrible with the idiotic fat jokes when they were trying to hide the fact that Jane Leeves was pregnant? I hate those episodes. They're so classless. The in-universe bit where it's Niles spoiling her is sweet, but the "It took 2 Cranes to pull you up" line was cringeworthy. And it wasn't like she was that big.

galagr

Reaction score
Of all the things to complain about, the laugh track is the least of its problems :stick_out_tongue:

Still, watch Dog With a Blog. THAT is a HUGE monstrosity. I didn't think Disney's writing could get any worse, but it did. You've got the typical clueless idiot, the "sassy" girl who comes off as annoying, inept "I'm cool, let's be my kid's friend" parents who are morons, and the show just isn't funny. Cringeworthy would be too nice.

Even Jessie I might get a laugh at every now and then. Dog With a Blog just makes me want to facepalm.
Y'know, I sometimes wonder what certain "Brainstorming" sessions go like for certain shows, and, well, I came up with one for Dog with A Blog.

Worker #1: Okay, we've got cliche characters, sub-par actors, and a list of awful ideas for episodes. Anyone have any input?
Worker #2: Gee, I don't know, do you think a show about average people with average adventures will sell?
Worker #1: Hmm, you're right... *Snaps* I got it, we'll make it about a talking dog!
Worker #3: Gee, I dunno Paul, don't you think that will overwelm the kids?
Worker #1: No, we'll give him a blog, he can type, too.
Network Excecutive: I love it, we'll start production Wensday. Now, we need to bring back a property that we haven't dealt with for a couple years.
Worker #4: Hmm, we could bring back the Muppets.
Network Excecutive: Now that's dangerous thinking, Max. Let's bring back Cars instead.

(Turned into my personal rant)

los

Reaction score
Y'know, I sometimes wonder what certain "Brainstorming" sessions go like for certain shows, and, well, I came up with one for Dog with A Blog.

Worker #1: Okay, we've got cliche characters, sub-par actors, and a list of awful ideas for episodes. Anyone have any input?
Worker #2: Gee, I don't know, do you think a show about average people with average adventures will sell?
Worker #1: Hmm, you're right... *Snaps* I got it, we'll make it about a talking dog!
Worker #3: Gee, I dunno Paul, don't you think that will overwelm the kids?
Worker #1: No, we'll give him a blog, he can type, too.
Network Excecutive: I love it, we'll start production Wensday. Now, we need to bring back a property that we haven't dealt with for a couple years.
Worker #4: Hmm, we could bring back the Muppets.
Network Excecutive: Now that's dangerous thinking, Max. Let's bring back Cars instead.

(Turned into my personal rant)
Can I like this more than once

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The problem is that unwritten rule in television that all series HAVE to include at least ONE ethnic character in the cast, because apparently an all-white cast is seen as offensive and non-inclusive by today's standards... but at the same time, it comes to the point where writers tend to make the ethnic characters more like caricatures of their ethnicity, which in turn, causes that ethnic group to cry out in offense over their people being portrayed in such stereotypical manners.
Whaddya know, I was just reading negative reviews about that HBO series GIRLS, and among the complaints about it is... the cast is "very white".

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is that unwritten rule in television that all series HAVE to include at least ONE ethnic character in the cast, because apparently an all-white cast is seen as offensive and non-inclusive by today's standards... but at the same time, it comes to the point where writers tend to make the ethnic characters more like caricatures of their ethnicity, which in turn, causes that ethnic group to cry out in offense over their people being portrayed in such stereotypical manners.
It's the fault of uptight groups that complain until they're noticed, and then complain if the characters are either too ethnic or not ethnic enough, leading to token minority characters that do nothing and can't do anything out of fears that a character trait is going to perceived as negative.

And then on the other hand, when an ethnic group makes a TV show that caters specifically to them, one they can actually do anything they actually want and that's realistic... it gets cancelled for not enough white people watching it. The words "incredibly infuriating" come to mind. But as the song says "Everyone's a little bit racist."

Eh, I'd say the Blog bit came first. Seriously, it screams "only computer term known by an executive in their fifties with an ulcer trying to be hip." Talking Dogs are for Kindergarteners.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I will say, at least Disney isn't marketing its tweencoms and tween idols as aggressively as they did in the mid-2000s with Hannah Montana and stuff.