Hanna-Barbera

Erine81981

Reaction score
Don't forget the Gene Deitch era where MGM let a Europe film studio called Rembrandt Films use the characters and make their own versions of Tom and Jerry shorts. Those weren't Hanna Barbera or MGM made. That was in the 60's.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Don't forget the Gene Deitch era where MGM let a Europe film studio called Rembrandt Films use the characters and make their own versions of Tom and Jerry shorts. Those weren't Hanna Barbera or MGM made. That was in the 60's.
I'm aware of those Deitch & Snyder cartoons, which weren't produced or directed by Hanna and Barbera, nor were the ones from the Chuck Jones era (except for Shutter-Bugged Cat and Matinee Mouse which featured footage from older cartoons, with credit given to H-B), nor the 1980 Filmation Tom and Jerry Saturday morning series; H-B's direct involvement was from 1940 to 1958 and in the 1975 Saturday morning series, with subsequent studios giving credit to the creators.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I really enjoyed "The Gary Coleman Show" during its short life on NBC, and I would still watch the series in reruns.

I also enjoyed "Smurfs", up to and including Season 5. From Season 6 onward, I never cared for the newer segments, though I did appreciate the "Smurfquest" episode, and I especially liked it when Papa Smurf mentioned "Earth, Wind and Fire" in that order in his dialogue.

I have to admit, whenever I hear certain sound effects, I am reminded of "Sesame Street" since that is where I first recognized certain sound effects. A scene in a Richie Rich Riches segment ("Boy of the Year", to be exact) has Richie quickly inflate a raft as he and Reggie Van Dough were falling off a cliff into a river - the first thing that came to my mind was the "E for Elephant and Elk" skit on "Sesame Street" (I heard this same sound effect on an episode of "The All-New Superfriends Hour", and also "Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels", and even on a recent episode of the new series "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?", which launched on Boomerang's app on June 27, and launches on Cartoon Network today). I also noticed H-B cartoon episodes which involved a wheeling-in sound effect, which reminds me of the "Sesame Street" skits featuring "The Typewriter Guy".

Erine81981

Reaction score
and even on a recent episode of the new series "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?", which launched on Boomerang's app on June 27, and launches on Cartoon Network today).
WHOA! I can't wait for this. I've already missed the first show but saw where it's re-airing this coming Friday. This will be another great series. I hope it does well for it to have at least 5 or 4 seasons but just hope that Cartoon Network doesn't change it over to Boomerang channel cause I don't have it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
WHOA! I can't wait for this. I've already missed the first show but saw where it's re-airing this coming Friday. This will be another great series. I hope it does well for it to have at least 5 or 4 seasons but just hope that Cartoon Network doesn't change it over to Boomerang channel cause I don't have it.
Me too, because this looks really good.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
After seeing the second episode of "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" which had The Funky Phantom Crew make an appearance, I sure hope there will be a revival of "The Funky Phantom" in some form in the forseeable future. April Stewart is quite cute, and she would be a candidate for a cartoon crush of mine, hands down.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I just dug up a Magilla Gorilla box set, which I forgot I even had, and fell in love with the series again.
The original tie-in, Ideal toys was going to come out with a Magilla doll for Christmas 1964(never seen one). They became the show'ssponsor, and even got a plug in the opening credits:

See in the window, Magilla Gorilla
Full of charm and appeal.
Handsome, elegant, intelligent, sweet,
He's really Ideal!

But the best moment came in the second season, with the song "Makin' With The Magilla". Most of the cartoon is Magilla's weak attempts at surfing, but then we get two minutes of pop heaven.
Throw in shades of Motown, Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, and Little
Eva on vocals, you got a masterpiece.

The other two segments , Ricochet Rabbit and Droopalong (a sheriff and deputy fighting crime in the Old West) and Mushmouse and Punkin Puss (two feuding hillbillies. Lotta shooting going on) were great too.

Also in the cast was Little Ogee (voiced by Jean Vander Pyl, looks like a toddler Pebbles), Magilla's only friend but too poor to buy him.

All good stuff. This was my gang.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score

So, apparently, Hanna-Barbera once gave Gary Coleman his own animated show in which he plays a kid angel sent to earth to battle Gargamel as a pedophilic magician dressed like Snidely Whiplash, and there's no trace of Willis in sight.
Actually, the villain's name is Hornswoggle, not Gargamel. Gargamel was the archnemesis of the Smurfs.

Plus, this series is not a spinoff of "Diff'rent Strokes". It is actually based on the made-for-TV film "The Kid with the Broken Halo", broadcast in April 1982, during the height of Gary Coleman's peak in popularity. "The Gary Coleman Show" may have just started production at the time the film aired. Gary Coleman's angelic character in his animated series was entirely based on the character in the TV film. I, too, wonder how Willis would have reacted to this cartoon series.