Got a response from the Sesame Puppeteer Workshop...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Re: equipment, personally, I would spend less time worrying about audio and more on puppetry skills.
Well, I don't really have a whole lot to worry about in that department, both seasoned and aspiring puppeteers seem to think my skills are something to be impressed with, though I was just saying, that the audio quality of a lot of the entries in my series were rather poor, and that had been pointed out to me before, which is why is finally donned on me during the last few entries to just dub everything in post.
However, according to my source the scandal from last year has apparently rattled some doors and times they are a changin... I dont think anyone will be walking off the street into an established character or even a speaking role... but harvesting the national talent pool isnt that far fetched. This is a powerful corporation that learned recently how easily the possibility of being brought to their knees by one puppeteers bad choices can be...
I'm gonna be completely honest with ya... I don't even really know you all that well, so I don't even know how you're getting this information, or whom this "source" of yours is, but I am a little leery of this information, because it just doesn't make a lot of sense... why would they look for people to immitate already-existing characters when they said not to? And if they're really cautious now because of the issue with Kevin Clash, why would they have a workshop for that very reason? I'm sorry, whether you're being honest or not, I'm just having trouble believing this information you're sharing.

crazy chris

Reaction score
I really never meant to ruffle any feathers here fellas....As i said before... i understand and respect your leeriness... the info sort of landed in my lap and i was as shocked and surprised as you...

Rest assured though...I am a professional puppeteer who owned my own successful puppet theater and i have been a trustworthy contributor to this board for many years... so take it for what u will...

cc

MelissaY1

Reaction score
That's kind of what I've already done (except for joining POA, though it's been on my to-do list); I was suggested to send in a submission to attend the workshop because apparently some people think my puppetry is impressive, and this truly was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that couldn't have been overlooked. I still hold no ill feelings, I feel good I submitted something rather than passed on an opportunity that could have led to something great.
I also submitted a video and received a rejection email, but like you, I'm also genuinely ok with it. I really didn't expect to get chosen with so many people applying, the limited space, and the amount of people with more experience. I just wanted to at least try and see what happened.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Well, I don't really have a whole lot to worry about in that department, both seasoned and aspiring puppeteers seem to think my skills are something to be impressed with, though I was just saying, that the audio quality of a lot of the entries in my series were rather poor, and that had been pointed out to me before, which is why is finally donned on me during the last few entries to just dub everything in post.
My last post was poorly phrased. I wasn't taking a shot at your puppetry skills and I'm sorry if it was read that way. I was really making a more general comment about technical issues.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I watched the videos posted and honestly i have to say you guys should be PROUD of yourselves. SERIOUSLY. You all have this love for this unique form of art and to some of you, took your first step in exposing this to the world. you don't need Sesame Street to put that artist title on you. You have it already. If you feel you don't, then keep practicing.

I once dreamed about being a Muppet performer myself. I was told to, "practice practice practice." I felt those were just the baby steps to something big. So, i did that. I kept practicing and felt it was time to do something with this. And i worked as a puppeteer for some big names. I still felt those were just baby steps. Secretly I had this idea of my own thing, but it was just that... an idea. But today I'm working on a series I created and using puppets i made, with a director I found through Muppet Central, and a cast of talented artist on a series you can find on YouTube, called Puppatics.

There is another member of the boards here i remember talking about his idea for a stage show, and hes doing it!!!

I'm sorry to see that some of you didn't make it into this workshop, but i urge you to stick with your dream. If you auditioned for Sesame Street, you MUST love what you're doing. But Sesame Street isn't the goal. Performing puppetry in ANY form is an amazing art and the advice i was given i want to pass down to you all.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

crazy chris

Reaction score
I watched the videos posted and honestly i have to say you guys should be PROUD of yourselves. SERIOUSLY. You all have this love for this unique form of art and to some of you, took your first step in exposing this to the world. you don't need Sesame Street to put that artist title on you. You have it already. If you feel you don't, then keep practicing.

I once dreamed about being a Muppet performer myself. I was told to, "practice practice practice." I felt those were just the baby steps to something big. So, i did that. I kept practicing and felt it was time to do something with this. And i worked as a puppeteer for some big names. I still felt those were just baby steps. Secretly I had this idea of my own thing, but it was just that... an idea. But today I'm working on a series I created and using puppets i made, with a director I found through Muppet Central, and a cast of talented artist on a series you can find on YouTube, called Puppatics.

There is another member of the boards here i remember talking about his idea for a stage show, and hes doing it!!!

I'm sorry to see that some of you didn't make it into this workshop, but i urge you to stick with your dream. If you auditioned for Sesame Street, you MUST love what you're doing. But Sesame Street isn't the goal. Performing puppetry in ANY form is an amazing art and the advice i was given i want to pass down to you all.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
AMEN!! Fine fine words sir!!

cc

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess they must still be looking at some submissions, as a friend of mine (outside of the MC community, that is) just now got accepted for a slot in the workshop. *Shrug*

kessto

Reaction score
Your friend was probably an alternate, and some one who was originally chosen, may not have been able to make it. good for your friend.

Brian Kendig

Reaction score
Please share your videos! Especially those of you who got in, or got more than the "performance technique is not quite right" response! I'd really like to see what they wanted.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, correction on my previous post; my friend told me she had actually gotten the response from SST back in December, it was only until now that she had the freetime to publically annouce the news about it. Either way, really happy for her just the same!

Other than that, I know everybody keeps asking for us to share our submissions... ehh, there's really not much to see with mine. Basically, I just had Steve D'Monster retell George Costanza's whale story (word for word) in my repetoire of voices as well as a couple of my better impersonations (Paul Lynde and Leif Garrett, though some felt I should have done Christopher Walken too, and I didn't even know my Walken was that good), then had him sing a verse from "Rainbow Connection" (to show I can do both silly and poignant).

I actually invited them, only if they had the time to do so, to look through my YouTube channel to give them a better idea of what I'm capable of as a puppeteer, since I felt my submission really didn't convey that all that much. It may have been too much of a commercial for myself, and they may not have even looked at anything, but I offered.

Nevertheless, something else will happen in the future, probably. This is just another experience to reflect on.