Got a response from the Sesame Puppeteer Workshop...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In the three years that I did puppetry for PBS, the monitor was still occasionally a hang up for me, because the picture on the monitor is the reverse of what's actually going on in the studio; I was usually quick to fix myself, but I'd occasionally accidently look to the left when I was supposed to look right, or vice-versa.

Camera switching was another thing, but this was live TV, and you don't necessarily receive direction when cameras are rolling, so you just have to go with it best you can.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think about that, but I guess live things would be harder to coordinate, especially when everything is designed for humans as opposed to puppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I suppose when I think about it, this could also be another factor at play for my personal preference of the single camera production setup as opposed to multicamera. Granted, it's mostly for the cinematic aesthetics, but from a puppeteering standpoint, camera switching isn't a concern. Honestly, it's not even really something I've even thought about until I read that Matt said this was one of the lessons for this year's workshop, as it's been over a decade since I puppeteered on live TV and even had to worry about camera switching as such.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I am curious to know what they mean by performance technique?