Got a response from the Sesame Puppeteer Workshop...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm guessing by the amount of people receiving the same message on the same day that they probably just stopped looking through submissions at a certain point, and sent out a form letter to the remaining entrants; no doubt they had tons and tons of submissions to comb through, and they made it clear in the original information that there was limited space to attend... this would be like an entire city trying to attend a banquet that only seats 30 people.

My congrats to those who were selected to attend.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I didn't get the exact same thing you guys got, it seems (mine didn't say "technique is not quite right"). It did say my video was "enjoyable."

I'm assuming they went through all the videos, picked who the wanted and sent messages to the rest in one fowl swoop. I highly doubt they just stopped watching submissions and rejected them on zero grounds.

Brian Kendig

Reaction score
And here's mine. My first time videorecording my work ... so, well, not my best, either. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Good advice from Terrence Burke (who's a member here on MC I believe)...

To all my younger puppeteer pals who have recently received rejection letters from Sesame Workshop.

Don't despair. Your desire to be a puppeteer is a very admirable goal. Create your own characters, write your own shows, share your love of puppetry with EVERYONE!
Join Puppeteers of America, join your local puppetry guild -and be an ACTIVE member, organize a puppet slam, go to puppetry festivals/gathering, donate shows to your favorite charities, sing, laugh, have fun with your puppets.

Don't be fooled, it's hard work. You probably won't be rich. You may have to work a day or night job. Yet being a performing puppeteer is worth every second.
Then, years from now, you'll come across that old rejection letter and chuckle.
Share the knowledge. Spread the joy.
Terrence posted this on Facebook and I think this is very good advice for anyone who aspires to be a puppeteer. Especially joining Puppeteers of America. They are having regional festivals in every part of the United States this summer and fall. Attending is an amazing opportunity to meet and network with incredible puppeteers from all of the United States.

Another great opportunity is attending the O'Neil Puppetry Conference, which is held every summer.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's kind of what I've already done (except for joining POA, though it's been on my to-do list); I was suggested to send in a submission to attend the workshop because apparently some people think my puppetry is impressive, and this truly was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that couldn't have been overlooked. I still hold no ill feelings, I feel good I submitted something rather than passed on an opportunity that could have led to something great.

crazy chris

Reaction score
LOLOLOL... Fpire...if i was judging...you would have made it!! That was great!! lolol

cc

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm seeing it all over Facebook now, I guess today was rejection day and then some. I can understand some people being disappointed, upset, and even hurt over this, but we must remember, even if there wasn't a call for submissions to attend a workshop, any chances of getting into Sesame, or even the Muppets are pretty slim anyway. Plus, they even said this wasn't an audition, nor were they guaranteeing employment on SST or any SW production... I saw someone commented on FB saying they've known people who have attended such workshops in the past, and were used maybe only once in a Muppet/Henson production, and never heard anything else ever again. There's a lot of ways we can look at this, but I still say, I'm happy for the lucky ones who were chosen to attend (I would have been thrilled just to get to meet Matt and Marty), and I have absolutely no negativity to being rejected. When one door closes, another door opens.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
I got a rejection to. However i was so pleased to see SW openning this opportunity up to everyone. It was good to take part and and soo pleased for those of you that were succesfull. I know a few guys that have made it, James Kemp being one of them and he has promised to take lots of pics and document his experience so we can all look forward to that.

Ive learnt a lot and still enjoy what i do so havent let it put me off :smile: