Get Rid of that King!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then again, I've heard of several long-time smokers who live into old age.
Heh... George Burns anyone?

Funny thing about the subject... Ronald is definitely a kid's mascot (even though I think the only reason McD's uses him less and less is because they don't feel clowns are hip), but the BK King was for adults.

Still... both were used in crappy videogames. I once played this weird McDonaldland game that was only avaialble in Japan and Europe... so incredibly counter intuitive to play... And I hear NOTHING but bad things about the BK special games they had for x-Box... but then again, those ones were 5 bucks with a food purchase.

And Ronald has an amazing magic world... the King was just creepy and awkward.

I do miss the 1990's BK Kids Club kids, though... but I have to admit, I only liked the one with the video visor.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the only reason McD's uses him less and less is because they don't feel clowns are hip
Well, like I said a few posts ago, England actually did a survey several years ago that actually proves that kids DON'T like clowns.

That's like Hollywood doing a survey to prove that people don't give a flying crap about Kim Kardashian getting married.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, like I said a few posts ago, England actually did a survey several years ago that actually proves that kids DON'T like clowns.
As far as I'm concerned, Ronald's like the only high profile clown that isn't a parody or a tedious "teh clowns are teh scary" horror show (Steven King's It ruined everything for the clowning industry, I bet). And the funny thing is, the only clowns I like are parodies or cartoon villains... Krusty, Binky, Buggy, and of course, the Clown Prince of Crime, The Joker... seriously, if the Joker were McD's spokesclown, more kids would go there. but then that would mean he'd have to go straight and not try to kill Batman violently...

I mean, McD's Ronald came out of the 1950's and Clown based TV shows... in fact, they basically wanted their own Bozo so they didn't have to pay the copyright owners for public appearances, which made the growing McD's chain packed with kids. So basically Ronald was created as a cheap ripoff of Bozo. Now, kid's TV shows don't have clowns in them (Jojo's Circus is long canceled). Except, again... the Joker.

Interestingly, in almost every single Batman Happy Meal, there was a Joker figure/car (exceptions being Batman Returns as he wasn't in that movie and Young Justice, but it's not so much a Batman cartoon as a cartoon with Batman in it). I think I got most of them except for the Joker Lego Batman figure (I got the helicopter, though).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh... George Burns anyone?
Heh, he was mentioned in my Middle School Science textbook regarding smoking. Again...he was just lucky. ; )

England actually did a survey several years ago that actually proves that kids DON'T like clowns.
I went through a brief period of being afraid of clowns, but funnily enough, Ronald never bothered me, lol. Though they say the reason kids are afraid of clowns is the contrast of a human body with an unnatural face. And Ronald's makeup really wasn't that severe. Perhaps they did know what they were doing when they designed the character.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I went through a brief period of being afraid of clowns, but funnily enough, Ronald never bothered me, lol. Though they say the reason kids are afraid of clowns is the contrast of a human body with an unnatural face. And Ronald's makeup really wasn't that severe. Perhaps they did know what they were doing when they designed the character.
Did you ever see the first version of Ronald? GHASTLY!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Did you ever see the first version of Ronald? GHASTLY!
Oh yes, lol. Still I don't think he would have scared me either. He didn't look like a clown so much as a guy with a McDonald's cup on his face for some reason, lol.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I have fond memories of my theater teacher in high school showing us the photo of a makeup-less actor who was actually the guy who played Ronald. That was neat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ronald came to my school wen I was in Grade 2... I forgot what all he talked about, but it was funny.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I was really young I went to a friend's birthday party at McDonald's. There was a huge statue of Ronald and some of the kids were hugging it and wishing it would come to life, lol.