Fraggle Rock fic: The Mamas and The Papas

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ooh, now there's a sweet little chapter! Just what I needed. I love cute little Janken imitating Mokey, and Red pretending to be asleep for the whole thing so no one will notice how it affects her. And the Storyteller, and her story! SO nice. So very well done. I like that thimble bug. "There are other Fraggles." So true! I'm glad that cheered Janken up. And now they're all playing together and being Fraggles, like Fraggles should be. And it makes me happy.

More please! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, glad you liked this chapter. I hope it wasn't too much of a cuteness overload. We'll get back to the angst soon, and see some more of the Chamberpotter's plot.

I'd better 'fess up about one thing: the Storyteller's tale is an homage to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Specifically, the stories about the fox and the rose. I conflated the stories into one--easy to do, as both are parables on the nature of love--and gave them a Fragglish setting.

The Little Prince is a wonderful book. If you don't have a copy, you can read it online.

S’il vous plaît… dessine-moi un mouton!

bazingababe24

Reaction score
I'd better 'fess up about one thing: the Storyteller's tale is an homage to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Specifically, the stories about the fox and the rose. I conflated the stories into one--easy to do, as both are parables on the nature of love--and gave them a Fragglish setting.
So THAT'S why it sounded so familiar!:smile: I immediately thought of the story of the fox after I read that part of the chapter. That book and The Secret Garden are my two favorite books from childhood. What a beautiful homage, Slackbot!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, The Secret Garden was one of my elementary school favorites as well. I ought to find it and read it again. I'm sure it'll feel different to me now, but some books, like Charlotte's Web, are good no matter what age the reader is.

I've been wanting to use those stories from The Little Prince with Janken for some time. The sentiment that "It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important" is so beautiful, and it fits him so well. It never did fit into Masks, though.

I can only find my French copy of Le Petit Prince. I can read it in French, but it's slow, and I have to look up things here and there 'cause it's been a couple of decades since I studied the language. I need to find a copy in English. Online books don't suit me; I like paper I can hold in my hands.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Funny--I just so happened to read The Secret Garden for school this semester. (I LOVE children's literature classes. I mean, where else can you read Where the Wild Things Are for college?) I've never heard of The Little Prince, though, and now I'm all intrigued. Looks like a trip to the library is in order. Yay! I like stories.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Mamas and The Papas
Part 5: Free Advice
By Kim McFarland​

This evening began much the way the previous one had. Boober served dinner in Wembley and Gobo's room because it had the most space, and the entire family ate together while chattering about that night's plans. As before, Gobo, Wembley, and Red would meet with the Poobahs, and Boober and Mokey would attend to other matters in the Messin' Around Cave. They had taken some teasing over that. Neither minded, however. If a thing was worth doing at all, it was worth doing well. Or, as Red remarked, overdoing.

Janken was acting a little odd, Boober noticed. Ever since he had found out that he was Wembley's son he had seemed upset. Boober knew all about youthful angst, and Janken often came to him when he felt unwell and unhappy. He had, in fact, stuck with Boober all afternoon after they had left the pond, and had helped Boober prepare tonight's meal. Boober had thought that Janken wanted to talk about what was on his mind, but he hadn't said a word. Boober didn't push him; when he was ready to speak up he would.

Now they had cleared away the aftermath of the dinner, and Red, Wembley, and Gobo were eagerly anticipating the showdown at the Poobahs' meeting tonight. Janken was not as enthusiastic. He wasn't in the mood for a bunch of silliness with a big crowd of Fraggles. The more he thought about it, the less he wanted to go.

Wembley could see Janken's spirits sink as the time to leave approached. He was disappointed; things had been going so well today, and he had thought that yesterday's moodiness was just a fluke. Now it looked like that was not the case. He sat beside Janken and asked, "What's the matter?"

Janken looked around. The rest of his family was chattering energetically. Janken didn't want to talk about it now. He looked at the floor.

Wembley gently put an arm around Janken's shoulders. "You can tell me. I'm your papa," he said softly.

He tried to pull Janken close, but the boy stiffened. Without looking up he said, "I don't want to go."

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Wembley told him. "I'll stay with you."

"I don't want you to. I want to be alone. To think."

"Well... okay, if that's what you want," Wembley said.

"Yeah."

Wembley sat with Janken for a while, hoping that the child would say something more, but he did not. When it came time for Mokey and Boober to leave, Mokey came over and said to Janken, "Give me a hug for luck!"

Janken hopped up and hugged Mokey, who had knelt down, around the neck. "Good luck, Mama!" Then he turned and surprised Boober with a hug. Boober was short enough that Janken could hug him around the lower chest. "Good luck," Janken repeated.

"Thanks," Boober said with a wry smile. Gobo and Red were grinning the same grin at him, and loudly refraining from commenting.

Mokey and Boober left—this time without fanfare—and Red, Gobo, and Wembley put on their Poobah costumes. Janken watched quietly. When it was time for them to leave Wembley laid a hand on Janken's back and said, "Sure you don't want to come? You can just watch."

"No, thanks."

"Well—sure you want to stay home by yourself? I don't mind staying with you so you don't get lonely."

"I'm okay. I wanna think," Janken said.

Wembley gave up. "All right," he said, and patted Janken's back.

Hearing the beginning of the processional music, Gobo, Red, and Wembley left the room. As they walked through the tunnels Wembley sighed. "Gobo, is it just me, or is Janken acting funny?"

"He's been kind of quiet since yesterday."

"It's more than just that. It's like... almost like he's afraid of me."

Red said, "Afraid of you? Who could be afraid of you?"

Gobo said, "I don't think it's anything to worry about. He's probably just nervous about Mokey having another child."

Red said, "Yeah. I heard him and Mokey talking about it this morning. He was worried that she wouldn't be his mother anymore."

"Really?" Wembley said.

"Yeah."

Gobo said, "Don't worry about it, Wembley. Janken's okay. If he was really upset he'd say something, eh?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Wembley said.

When Janken could no longer hear the processional music he left the room. He knew where he wanted to go. He had thought about it all day, and there was one person who might understand how he felt.

He ran through the tunnels and once again surfaced in the Gorgs' garden. It was early evening, and Junior Gorg was watering the garden. Janken went around him so he could approach from the front. He walked over between the rows of radishes and shouted, "Hey!"

Junior glanced around. He did not lift his feet; he didn't want to accidentally squash anybody. When he saw the purple fuzzball among the red radishes he waved down. "Oh, hi there."

"Hi. Why are you watering now? Wouldn't it cool the plants off if you watered in the middle of the day, when it was hotter?" Janken asked.

"If I did that, they could get sunburned," Junior replied.

Plants got sunburned? Only recently had Fraggles started coming aboveground long enough to learn about sunburn. Janken, having light purple skin, wasn't very susceptible, but Wembley and Red, who were yellow-skinned, were vulnerable. It was painful, so they said, and scary-looking too. Janken said, "Could I talk to you about some things?"

"Sure." Junior put down the watering can. "The gwound's all wet. Can I put you on the table?"

"All right."

Junior's huge, hairy hand closed carefully around Janken. The Fraggle closed his eyes and gritted his teeth. He was not afraid of the Gorg, but the feeling of being lifted so quickly and so high made him queasy. Junior set him on his feet on the table and sat at one of the seats. Leaning his chin in his hand, Junior asked, "So, what's up?"

"What's it like having two parents?" Janken asked.

Junior blinked, surprised by that question. Of all the things he thought a Fraggle would be curious about, his family was not one of them. He said, "Well, they sure do outnumber me, especially at spwing cleaning time. Mommy tells me to thwow evewything out and Daddy tells me to bwing it all wight back."

"What else is it like?"

"Well... they give me a lotta chores. There's guarding the castle, even though we're no longer wulers of the universe." He glanced toward the castle, then lowered his voice. "I never did figure out why we still gotta do that, but just doing it's easier than arguing about it with Pa."

Janken smiled. The Gorgs could be as silly as the Poobahs, he thought, and they didn't even mean to be.

"And they're always either arguing or making lovey-dovey." Junior rolled his eyes.

"Oh yeah. Mine are like that too," Janken said.

"But, well, I guess it's all right," Junior said. "Ma's a gweat cook. She makes all sorts of good stuff for me. The things she can do with garlic! And Pa... well, he's my Pa." Junior shrugged cheerfully. "Last week he showed me how to fish, and how to pull fishhooks out of my thumb."

"Do you ever get lonely?" Janken asked.

"Nahh. When Ma and Pa are busy, I got the garden and you Fwaggles. Say, you have thwee daddies and two mommies, don't you? What's that like?"

Janken wished that Junior had not asked that. But, he knew, it was a fair question. He couldn't tell Junior about what had recently happened, though. It still hurt to think about it. He'd answer as if it was a few days ago. Junior wouldn't know any better. "It's nice. They're all different from each other, and they all do different things, but they all love each other and me."

"But isn't it complicated?" Junior asked.

Janken shook his head "No. Why would it be complicated?"

"Well, who's the boss and chores and stuff."

Janken shrugged. "Nobody's the boss. Everyone does different things, and when someone needs help, someone else helps. I helped make dinner tonight. And when clinging creepers grow near us everyone puts flowers all over to scare 'em off. That's fun!"

"Everyone helps with the chores instead of making one person do 'em all? Gee," Junior said, awed by the concept. "It must be fun to be a Fwaggle. But I think I'll keep my two parents. If I had five it'd be like a battlefield!"

Janken said, "I guess it wouldn't work for Gorgs."

"Yeah, guess not."

"Um, could you put me on the ground? I wanna talk to the Trash Heap."

"Sure." Junior picked Janken up again and carried him to the garden wall. He leaned over a broken section and dropped Janken into a pile of leaves.

Janken yelped, then reappeared from under the leaves. He waved, grinning, to Junior. "Thanks!"

"See you later," the Gorg said, and left.

Philo, the Trash Heap's pink, ratlike associate, said, "Y'know, when the all-seeing, all-knowing Trash Heap, in whose presence you happen to be, said you Fraggles could drop in anytime, I'm pretty sure this isn't what she meant."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," Janken said.

The Trash Heap was already rising. She said, "Don't worry about it. I heard you coming. So, you're still troubled?"

"Yeah," Janken admitted.

"It's got something to do with your family, doesn't it?"

"Yeah..."

"Let me tell you something, about yourself," she said. "You're unusual for a Fraggle because you like to reach out in directions other Fraggles would never think of. You come to me all by yourself, you go exploring with your great-uncle, you talk to Junior Gorg! Someday that's going to be more important than you can imagine. But right now you need to think carefully about who you need to reach out to."

"Who?" Janken asked.

"Think about it," she said softly. "This problem isn't mine to solve, it's yours. But you don't have to do it all alone. Think about who could really help you, and tell them why you're unhappy."

"Couldn't you tell me who?" he persisted.

She replied, "I think you already know."

He looked at the ground for a while. Then he raised his eyes back to hers. "What if it hurts their feelings?"

"You might be surprised," she said gently.

"I don't want to be surprised. I want things to be the same."

"Then go to the ones who can make it the same." She held a pink tube out to Janken. He took it. It was longer than his tail, and wasp-waisted, with holes all along its length. It was lighter than it looked. He asked, "Is this magical? Will it help?"

"What do you think?"

He turned it over in his hands. It was worn, and there was a crack in one side. "It's not magical. It's just neat-looking."

"It's called a tchotchke," she informed him. "It's whatever you make of it."

He looked at it again, trying to work out what this had to do with his problem.

She told him, "Take that home with you, and if you feel afraid to talk about your problem, look at it and remember what I told you."

Hearing their cue, Philo and Gunge said, "The Trash Heap has spoken."

Janken said, "Thank you, Trash Heap," politely but halfheartedly as he waded through the leaf litter surrounding the Trash Heap proper.

After Janken was gone from sight Gunge said, "You sure let him off easy, Marjorie."

Philo said, "Yeah. You coulda gotten at least two verses and a chorus outta that one, then sent him home with some mumbo-jumbo that'd have him scratching his head for days in the name of personal growth."

"He's just a little boy. Making him face his problem head-on is enough," Marjorie answered.

"If you say so," Philo said with a shrug.

"I do." She paused and eyed Philo. "Mumbo-jumbo?"

Gunge quickly edged away from his friend. Philo said, "Uh, I meant esoteric words of wisdom'!"

"That's better," she said, and sank back into the ground.

Janken plodded through the caves leading home. He thought he understood the Trash Heap's advice. He just didn't think it would do any good. But what else could he do?

Nobody else knew how he felt. Nobody could help him. He was all alone. Everybody was somewhere else. He found himself walking toward Boober's room. When he felt sad like this, it was Boober he wanted to see. Boober didn't try to cheer you up if you didn't feel like being cheerful. He let you be sad until you were ready not to be sad any longer.

Of course Boober was not there. He would be with Mokey for a while. Janken knew what the Midsummer Ritual involved. Making a baby Fraggle was complicated, hard work, which was why people went away to do it: if they got interrupted they might mess up, and then they'd have to wait until next year. Maybe something went wrong last night and that was why they were trying again today. Janken told himself that he would just have to wait until they were done.

He sat down on Boober's bed, holding the pink tchotchke the Trash Heap had given him. It did make him feel a little better. It was as if a little bit of her was with him now, keeping him company.

Fraggle Rock and all characters except Janken are copyright © The Jim Henson Company. All copyrighted properties are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Awww! I'm so glad Janken got his chat with the Trash Heap--and with Junior, for that matter. Poor little fella... but I think he'll be okay. And I LOVED much of the other interaction in the chapter, like Red and Gobo "loudly" refraining from commenting. I got quite the kick out of that. And Philo and Gunge were great, too. "Mumbo-jumbo?" <snicker> Ah, I love those guys.

A lovely chapter.

More please! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, you know Janken will be okay in the end. The Trash Heap is right, he has a talent for reaching out, he just has to figure out how to use it. (And it'll lead him in directions he never expected, but that's another story...) I think Wembley may be more bruised than Janken by the end of all this, but you know Wembley, he heals fast.
I like writing for Philo and Gunge! They remind me of Hack and Slash from ReBoot, a TV series I used to do a lot of writing for. Unlike Hack & Slash, I haven't noticed any difference between the two personality-wise. (Has anyone else?)

Next up: The Poobah Revolution, and potato cookies.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Mamas and The Papas
Part 6: Straight Shooter
by Kim McFarland​

The Poobahs assembled in the Firefly Cavern with great pomp and ceremony. The roll was called, and established that those who were present were there and those who were absent were not, with a few notable exceptions.

The recently-established new High Mucky-Muck of the Poobahs ascended to the podium and tapped with the miniature pickaxe that served as a gavel. "I-I call this meeting to order," he said, sounding a little nervous.

"I don't take orders! But I will entertain a polite request," Fritz replied.

Another spoke up. "Then I'll politely request some Whoopie Water. On the rocks!"

"Whoopie Water is in the rocks."

The Mucky-Muck let the chatter go. One unspoken rule of the Poobahs was to let any silliness run its course. After all, that was their whole purpose. When the stream of consciousness had flowed to its logically absurd conclusion he said, "Do we got any new Poobahs-to-be?"

"Do you see anyone here besides Fritz?" a shrill voice answered.

The other Poobahs turned, then parted to make way for the Poobah in the gaudy costume and the winged headpiece. He strode right past Gobo, who tried to see any hint of skin and hair color beneath the costume. He was wearing off-white gloves and socks of a similar color. What little they could see beneath his mask also looked off-white. His tail was completely hidden.

"I formally challenge you in the ancient, honorable language of the honorable ancients! I-uffafluff allenge-uffafluff-ch ou-uffafluff-y o-uffafluff-t a-uffafluff uel-ufafluff-d!"

There was a dramatic pause and a lot of lip movement and mumbling while everyone translated this statement for themselves. Then the Mucky-Muck replied, "Es-uffafluff-y."

"Very good!" The challenger reached into the folds of his robe and took out a large sack. He glared around at the assembled Fritzes, then produced two slingshots. "The weapon will be slingshots at ten paces. Whoever wins gets the title of their choice!"

The Mucky-Muck came down from the podium. He took one of the slingshots. It was a sturdy tool, used for discouraging predators at a distance when traveling through outer caves. Fraggles did not wield these against other Fraggles! He looked at his challenger nervously. The challenger grinned back. "Are you afraid?"

The Mucky-Muck whispered, "I-it's not funny if someone really gets hurt!"

Fritz appeared not to hear. "Here is the ammunition. We each get one shot!" He handed him what looked like a light brown stone, but was much lighter.

The Mucky-Muck saw that part of it flaked off in his hand. "Ohh," he said, understanding.

Fritz called out, "Ten paces! Make room!"

The other Poobahs moved back. The two stood back to back, walked ten paces forward, turned, and raised their slingshots. The Mucky-Muck pulled back and shot first. The missile grazed Fritz's arm, leaving behind some light-colored dusty material, then hit the wall behind him. It shattered, leaving a large, dark stain and splattering the nearest Poobahs.

The Mucky-Muck braced himself, eyes closed, as Fritz raised his slingshot, pulled back on the pocket, aimed carefully, and released. The shot struck true, bursting against the Mucky-Muck's nose covering and spattering him with dark blue goo.

He sniffed, then touched the goo with a finger and licked it. He said, "Hey, hit me again!"

Fritz took out another missile—which was made of blueberry sauce baked within a crust; in effect a small ball-shaped pie—and launched it. His aim was off, but the Mucky-Muck managed to dodge into the line of fire, so most of it hit his mouth.

Fritz turned to face the other Poobahs. "I have won the right to claim my title, and that title is... Naysayer!"

The Mucky-Muck turned to him, surprised. He had thought that he was going to make himself the new Mucky-Muck. He wouldn't have opposed him, as he supposed that he would be a better one. He said, "What's a Naysayer?"

"What do you think? One who says nay. I will tell you when you are all getting too silly!"

Fritz muttered, "Ask a silly question, get a silly answer."

The Naysayer nodded gravely. "Exactly. Now..." He leaned close to the Mucky-Muck. "They look much too clean," he said, glancing at the rest of the assembly.

The two exchanged looks. Then the Naysayer took a handful of pastries out of his pocket and handed them to the Mucky-Muck. They both began pelting the other Poobahs.

After the meeting dissolved in chaos, Wembley, Red, and Gobo went over to Boober's room. They had a tale to tell, not to mention laundry to do. When they arrived they found that he wasn't there, but Janken was, sleeping on Boober's bed and holding a pink, tubelike thing as if it was a doll.

"Huh, Boober's not back yet? What's he doing out this late?" Wembley remarked. Red gave him a look, and he said, "Uh, forget I asked that."

Gobo said, "I'll meet you back home, eh?"

"Yeah, see you."

Gobo and Red left after putting their stained robes in Boober's laundry basket. Wembley added his robe to the pile, then went over to Janken. The boy opened his eyes when Wembley touched his shoulder. Softly Wembley said, "Hi, Janken."

Looking around, Janken asked, "Is it morning?"

"No, it's evening. What's that you have there?"

"It's a tchotchke. The Trash Heap gave it to me."

Wembley sat on the bed beside Janken. "She did? Neat. When did she give it to you?"

"Today. I talked with her today."

"What'd you talk about?"

Janken's arms tightened around the tchotchke. "Just stuff."

Wembley could hear the lie loud and clear. But he couldn't be mad. Something must really be bothering him if he went to see her. "Jan? Why don't you tell me about it?"

Janken looked up at him for a long moment. Then his eyes squeezed shut. "I don't want to."

"Maybe I can help."

Janken closed his eyes and shook his head.

"Okay..." Wembley patted his shoulder again. "Want to come home with me? I'll carry you if you're too sleepy to walk."

"No. I want to sleep here."

What could Wembley say to that? After a long pause he said, "All right," and left.

Gobo was in bed when Wembley returned. His shoulders sagged and his tail was dragging on the ground. Gobo said, "What happened?"

"He didn't want to come back with me," Wembley answered sadly.

"Why?"

"He didn't say." He paused, then went on, "That pink thing he was holding, the Trash Heap gave it to him. He went to the Trash Heap, but he won't say anything about it to me."

Gobo could hear the hurt in Wembley's voice. As comfortingly as he could, he said, "He's a little kid with little kid problems. We'll work it out in the morning."

"I hope so. He won't talk to me."

Wembley started climbing the ladder to his sleeping nook. Gobo reached out and touched his arm. "It'll be all right, 'Papa'."

Softly Wembley said, "I wish he'd call me that."

Mokey and Boober returned to Boober's cave. Both were damp. She had taken a swim in the pool in the Messin'-Around Cave, and Boober, though he would not swim, liked to stand under a waterfall to get clean. And then there was the fun of drying off...

Boober noticed the laundry basket. It was filled with fruity-smelling robes. He put some more cloth on top of that, then set the picnic basket down. He turned to speak to Mokey, but she wasn't looking at him. He followed her glance and saw that his bed was already occupied by a purple child.

They looked back at each other. Boober shrugged. She smiled ruefully. "Oh well."

They kissed goodnight for a few minutes. Then she left for her own room. Boober went over to his bed and patted the child. "Janken?"

"Mmmm?" He opened his eyes.

"You staying here tonight?"

He nodded. "Can I?"

"Sure."

"Thanks."

Boober hung up his hat and scarf and changed into his pajamas and nightcap. Glancing at the laundry basket, he thought that tomorrow would be a busy day for him. Those few robes wouldn't take long, especially if he presoaked them, but there would be many more. He supposed he should start the soak now, but at the moment even the call of laundry didn't tempt him.

He looked over at Janken. The way he was holding that pink thing, it reminded Boober of the way he had once clung to lucky charms. It was a thing that made him feel better. There was a story there, he thought.

He opened a box and took out a plate. Then he went over to the bed and got in. Janken scooted over. Boober offered the plate. "Cookie?"

Janken sniffed. They smelled like honey and blueberries. He took one and munched. The cookie was chewy rather than crumbly, and textured with sesame seeds.

Boober put an arm around Janken and took a cookie for himself. The two of them ate without speaking. Janken nibbled his cookie, savoring the taste and crunchy texture. When he finished his Boober was on his second, or possibly third; Janken hadn't paid attention. He didn't reach for another. He just leaned against Boober quietly.

After Boober finished his cookie he asked Janken, "Had enough?" Janken nodded. Boober put the plate on the table by his bed and blew out the lantern, then settled back down in bed.

After a quiet minute Janken whispered, "Boober?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you my uncle now?"

"I suppose so. Why?"

Janken didn't reply. Boober said, "Do you want me to be?" Janken didn't answer, and Boober felt him tense. "Don't want to talk about it now?"

"Uh-uh."

"Okay," Boober said. "But if you think of something to talk about, wake me up."

He felt Janken nod. The little Fraggle let go of the curler and cuddled up to Boober.

Fraggle Rock and all characters except Janken are copyright © The Jim Henson Company. All copyrighted properties are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't replied sooner... Been busy with stuff.

This was a good chapter.

The title, is that sort of meant to go back to the line "I'm a straight shootin' son of a gun" from Three Dog Night's Joy To The World?
Naysayer... Ah, another clever Monty Python reference. We say 'nay' 'nay' 'nay'. The battle against the mucky muck was fun, blueberry pop tarts popped off of slingshots at ten paces.
The scene at the end sold it though... It kind of looks like Janken might feel better using Boober with the same intention Marjory gave the purple Fraggle the hair curler, to invest into it and talk to it and alleviate himself of these feelings he's got that are troubling him.

Thanks and hope to read more soon.