Favorite Muppet compilation special

suggsy

Reaction score
30 years, definitely.

I taped it when it aired. I'd love to know what happened to it, or at least get a dvd. Columbia should sell a dvd with 30 years, muppets go to the movies and celebrate Jim henson. That would be perfect.

I used to work in the Museum of Television and Radio in New york. Whenever they would show the 30 years special I'd wait till the boss wasn't around and sneak in.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
If Columbia TriStar released it, it'd be without any extra features and with 8 crucial minutes inexplicably missing! LOL!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Heh, aint that the truth. They'd slice off big chunks of the special and expect the fans not to notice....those swine..(no offense to Miss Piggy of course :smile:)

-Matt

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Ummm...actually, it was DISNEY who edited them. Columbia just used the same edits for video for some odd reason...

suggsy

Reaction score
Yeah, what was with those big chunks missing from the Christmas special? Especially that awkward one with Fozzie and the Snowman? What rationale is there for cutting time on the video from something that already aired?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Ummm...actually, it was DISNEY who edited them. Columbia just used the same edits for video for some odd reason...
True. But isn't that just as bad? Especially on a DVD. Most DVDs feature extra cut or deleted scenes; Columbia's feature LESS scenes than the original!
Suggsy: Allegedly, the reason the scenes were cut was that they couldn't get the rights to those particular songs for video. Some of us are questioning the truth of that, though -- none of us have ever heard of a situation where the rights to a song weren't secured for ALL future airings or releases of a video. And since we're talking about Christmas carols here, wouldn't they be public domain anyway? But then again, I can't think of any other logical reason why these scenes would be cut. Whatever the case, this DVD (as well as practically every other Muppet DVD from Columbia) isn't on my wish list.

Take care,

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
So "Santa Claus in coming to Town", and "Sleigh Ride" better not EVER appear on a video for some other show without copyright notices during the credits. That's for darn sure!!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've been told Henson has the rights to air the special in it's entirety on TV. That's why Odyssey, YTV in Canada, and Nick have all aired either complete or in the case of Odyssey, nearly complete versions of the special. The original agreement did not include music rights on video releases so that's where the difference comes from.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I thought Nick, Odyssey, and Disney Channel cut MFC too, but just for more commercials. They've cut other specials that I've seen.

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
I thought Nick, Odyssey, and Disney Channel cut MFC too, but just for more commercials. They've cut other specials that I've seen.
I'm glad I have the Odyssey and Video cut. Now I basically have the whole special of MFC :smile: