Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Ernie counts sheep, fire engines and balloon

That personally is one of the best Ernie and Bert clips. The funniest thing is hearing Bert screaming. Frank Oz is a brilliant muppeteer.

Soul H

Reaction score
Another Ernie and Bert sketch that always cracks me up, is when they go to Egypt to explore a pyramid. The best part was when Ernie said and I quote:

Bert, the statu...the...the sta...the sta...the sta...the sta...atue just talked to be Bert!

I still fall to the floor laughing over that when I see that clip. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

CMarsala

Reaction score
I know Ernie and Bert are friends and not brothers (eg. "My ol' buddy Bert"), but there's one skit from about 1971 or 1972 where Bert is in bed sick and Ernie comes in and tells him that he heard someone in the neighborhood is sick. ...
Well anyway, in this skit I could have sworn at one point Bert says, "Oh boy. Some brother!" Anyone recall Bert saying that? It was in the middle of the skit when Bert was trying to tell Ernie he was the one who was sick and when Ernie was still looking at that book and completely clueless.
You're right, Ziffel. The sketch originally aired with Bert saying "some brother you are." On future airings it was changed to "oh, brother" (look at Bert's extra mouth movements and you'll see) apparently because they later decided that Ernie and Bert should be roommates, but not brothers.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I have this clip, and it's kinda weird to hear Cookie use the word "I" instead of "me" when referring to himself. I guess it was early in the character's development.

Way back in Episode 8, the still-nameless monster uses his pronouns correctly: "I always like to eat bacon and X!"

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
Bert & Ernie are my favorite Sesame Street characters. It's so hard to pick a favorite sketch because there's so many of them.

:stick_out_tongue::frown:

I think my favorite one from the Henson/Oz era would be the one where the Count sleeps over, it's so funny when Ernie looks like a zombie.

From the Whitmire/Oz era, it's the one where Bert won't dance with the monsters. Love Bert's line at the end 'That never happened'.

And finally, from the Whitmire/Jacobson era it's the one where Ernie can't sleep and starts to play his bugle and drums. Bert's reactions are hilarious.

clutch123

Reaction score
I have a few Bert and Ernie clips to share that I thought were really good:

1) Bert's favorite number is six (6) - a wonderful song about six by Bert.

2) The sound of dripping water at night:

Bert: '18 .... 19 ..... 20 .... Boy, those exercises are great, Ernie, I'm gonna turn the light off now though.'

Ernie: 'OK, Bert.'

Bert: (yawns) 'OK, Ernie ... G'night now sleep tight..'

Ernie: 'G'night Bert ... sweet dreams.'

Bert: 'OK...g'night.'

(Sound of water dripping)

Bert: 'Hey uh...Hey Ern....Ernie?'

Ernie: 'What?'

Bert: 'You uh, hear that? Sounds like water dripping, you know?'

Ernie: 'Is that right? Yeah, it does sound like water dripping. I must've left the faucet on a little bit when I washed my hands ... that's all, Bert .. g'night.'

Bert: 'Hey Ernie, I can't sleep with the sound of water dripping.'

Ernie: 'You can't?'

Bert: 'No.'

Ernie: 'Gee.'

Bert: 'Well, would you do me a favor and do something about the sound of that water dripping?'

Ernie: 'Sure, Bert. Anything for you. I don't mind at all. Ol' Ernie will take care of it alright.' (Ernie gets out of bed)

Bert: 'Good.'

(Radio blasts which causes Bert to jerk out of bed)

Bert: 'Ernie! Ernie what is that?'

Ernie: 'That's the radio, Bert.'

Bert: 'Ernie, the radio?!'
Ernie: 'Yeah, well you said you couldn't sleep with the sound of that water dripping, well, this way you can't hear that old faucet hardly at all, can you, Bert? Keeheehee.'

Bert: 'No, I can't hear the water dripping anymore .. but I can hear the radio and you know what, Ernie? I can't sleep with the sound of that radio either it's so loud! Ernie! Aww..come on!'

Ernie: 'Well don't worry about it, Bert, I mean 'ol Ernie will take care of that too. I'll do that for you, Bert.'

Bert: 'Alright!'

(Ernie turns the vacuum cleaner on which causes Bert to jerk out of bed again)

Bert: 'Ernie! Ern...what're you doing? Why'd you turn the vacuum cleaner on?!'

Ernie: 'What's that Bert? I can't hear you!'

Bert: 'I said, why'd you turn the vacuum cleaner ooooonnnnn?!!!!!'

Ernie: 'Well you said you couldn't sleep with the sound of the radio, well this way, you can't hear that radio hardly at all!!!!!!'

Bert: 'All right. All right ... Ernie, stay where you are .. stay where you are, don't move.'

Ernie: 'OK Bert! G'niiiiiiight!!!!!'
Bert: 'First, I'm gonna get this vaccum cleaner. There. I'm gonna shut this radio off now! I'm gonna ... Ok, I shut the radio off, now I'm gonna get the water .. There ... OK .... Alright, now we can finally get some sleep with some nice peace and quiet (Bert gets into bed) *mutters* Boy, this is ridculous.'

(Ernie snores)

Bert: 'Ernie? Ernie you're snoring.'

(Ernie snores again)

Bert: 'Ernie!! *sigh* It's not fair, it's just not fair.'

Anybody remember these?

ISNorden

Reaction score
check this out. http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/jog/Sesam15.html 1 is a picture from an 1st season skit where this mailman need to deliver a letter to Marian ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ. and she had a neighbor Joe 12345678910 anyone know what the letter was for? can anyone give a brief discription of it i saw it but like so many it's been a long time since i've seen it. also anyone know what the bottom picture is supposed to be about? it's Bert with all theese monsters along with Oscar.
The neighbor's name was Harold 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10; he taught music (not arithmetic. as the guy chatting with the mailman assumed at first). When the sketch first aired, that remark was a segue into an abstract musical animation about counting to ten.

ISNorden

Reaction score
It's an arguable point. Sesame Street was meant to be an educational tool. Had the character been developed today, he probably never would have developed his bad grammar.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what prompted Frank to start using the improper grammar for Cookie. Did he just slip up one day and decided it seemed to work for the character and kept it? Or did someone else suggest it? It'd be an interesting question to ask him.
I'm guessing that Cookie Monster was evolving into a more childlike character--the equivalent of 2-3 years old, with speech patterns to match. (Kids that young do have trouble with pronouns!) His behavior is also more monster-like than that of the friendlier talking monsters on Sesame Street; that may have inspired Frank Oz to keep Cookie's grammar primitive.