Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
superboober said:
One I always enjoyed was where Ernie (moving back and forth really fast) gathers up all sorts of items for his latest bath, including a flashlight and umbrella, "just in case" and sure enough before long the light go out and it starts raining inside (apparently Ernie's exempt from the bad luck dictum of opening an umbrella inside). I remember an Anything Muppet showed up at the end, but I forget exactly who he said he was.
Ernie also tried to take Bert's bowling ball into the bathtub with him(but Bert won't let him). Ernie's explanation was "you never know who might show up wanting to borrow a bowling ball". After the lights went out and it started raining, the AM showed up saying there was a bowling tournament and just as Ernie asks Bert, Bert sighs and says "I'll go get the bowling ball".

Motown Mike

Reaction score
I recall one that took place at Hooper's store. For some reason, Ernie is manning the soda fountain, and Bert comes in and orders a plain glass of water. Ernie tries to sell him on a chocolate soda instead, but Bert refuses...so Ernie brings out the water, then asks him if he wouldn't like just a little chocolate syrup in it for flavor. Bert reluctantly agrees, and Ernie proceeds to suggest a new addition each time (ice cream, whipped cream, a cherry) until Bert is, indeed, holding a chocolate soda at the end.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Okay thanks. And was the man dropping the shoes supposed to be Gordon? I can't recall if Ernie specified a name. But Ernie and Bert were supposed to be underneath Susan and Gordon, right?
I remember the shoe dropping sketch. In fact, I thought of it last night when I took some shoes off the clothesline. I don't believe he said who that was though. I guess that's left to our imaginations.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i don't have any favorites but here's 1 funny part of an Ernie & Bert skit. the rhyming game when Ernie decided to quit and Bert goes up to the lamp saying hey there lamp that'a a nice shade. besides the fact it didn't rhyme he sounded rediculous talking to a lamp.
Man, that skit was hilarious! I remember that one well! :stick_out_tongue:

aaronmojo

Reaction score
You guys have brought back some great memories. I just want to add that any sketch involving either character losing his nose was always hilarious to my five or six year old self. But I think the "Ride 'em cowboy, Bert!" sketch was my favorite... Did anyone else have the storybook based on that sketch?

Xerus

Reaction score
Motown Mike said:
I recall one that took place at Hooper's store. For some reason, Ernie is manning the soda fountain, and Bert comes in and orders a plain glass of water. Ernie tries to sell him on a chocolate soda instead, but Bert refuses...so Ernie brings out the water, then asks him if he wouldn't like just a little chocolate syrup in it for flavor. Bert reluctantly agrees, and Ernie proceeds to suggest a new addition each time (ice cream, whipped cream, a cherry) until Bert is, indeed, holding a chocolate soda at the end.
Actually, the skit went like this. Ernie was minding Hooper's store and he made Bert a plain glass of unflavored soda water. Ernie took a sip of it and told Bert that it was too dull. Bert said he likes it dull. But Ernie kept putting stuff like strawberry syrup, ice cream, and whipped cream in it making Bert frustrated. Ernie said, "I created an ice cream soda!" and Bert said he hates ice cream sodas. Ernie said he would drink the ice cream soda for Bert, but Bert asks what will he drink. Ernie gave him a plain glass of unflavored soda water.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Don't think this was mentioned here but I remember seeing this in the 70s where Bert's taking a bath and Ernie drags the piano in and eventually other people come in and start singing songs. Matter of fact if anyone here has ever oened the B&E sing along LP, or have heard selections of it on MC radio, some of the songs from the album were taken off from the show.

Can't remember the whole thing since that was so long ago.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Anyone remember the one where ernie starts a game by saying "I one the sand box", and bert says "I two the sand box", and they keep alternating like this: (I hope no one's posted this yet, but it's similar to the Ten-Q skit)

[ Ernie and Bert finish watching a cartoon on TV about the number 10. ]

Ernie

(singing along) One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, niiiiiine, ten! Oh, that counting stuff, Bert, y'know, that counting stuff reminds me of a great game I know. Wanna play a little game?

Bert

Aw, no. Not another one of your meatball games, Ernie. No thanks.

Ernie

Oh, no, no, Bert. This is not a meatball game.

Bert

No?

Ernie

I promise, this is not a meatball game.

Bert

No tricks?

Ernie

No tricks. No, no.

Bert

All right.

Ernie

It goes like this, see. I say, I one the sandbox.

Bert

Yeah?

Ernie

And then you say, I two the sandbox.

Bert

Yeah...

Ernie

And then I say, I three the sandbox. And so on and so forth, and on and on and on and on and on, and on, like that. Wanna play?

Bert

Nah, it's stupid.

Ernie

No, no. It's not stupid.

Bert

Oh, all right.

Ernie

Okay. Goes like this. I was walking down the street the other day, and I saw a sandbox.

Bert

Huh.

Ernie

I one the sandbox.

Bert

Mm.

Ernie

Now you.

Bert

Oh, now. Okay. I two the sandbox.

Ernie

I three the sandbox.

Bert

I four the sandbox?

Ernie

I five the sandbox...

Bert

I six the sandbox!

Ernie

I seven the sandbox!

Bert

I eight the sandbox!

Ernie

You ate the sandbox?

[ Ernie laughs and puts his arm around Bert's shoulder. ]

Ernie

How'd it taste, Bert?

Bert

Aww, no...

[ Ernie laughs. ]

I just wanna say that I hope the owner of the Tough Pigs website doesn't mind me copying the lines of this script off their tough pigs website. I think it's gotta be the funniest skit I've ever seen with E&B!

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
tutter_fan said:
Anyone remember the one where ernie starts a game by saying "I one the sand box", and bert says "I two the sand box", and they keep alternating like this: (I hope no one's posted this yet, but it's similar to the Ten-Q skit)

[ Ernie and Bert finish watching a cartoon on TV about the number 10. ]
If memory serves me correctly, they had just watched one of the Jazzy Spies cartoons.