Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

quinli

Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts (there are a lot of them!), so maybe this one has already been mentioned. I like the Ernie and Bert sketch where Ernie has to find a place for something (I don't remember what), so he uses an object that was already a home for something else, and it starts a chain reaction. It ends where Ernie has had to transplant the pet goldfish so he can use the goldfish bowl for something else. Bert shouts with exasperation, "Ernie! Where did you put the fish?" Ernie replies casually, "Oh, I put them in your cowboy hat, Bert." Bert asks what he will use for playing cowboys, and Ernie plunks a pot on his head: "There you go, Bert!" Come to think of it, I believe Ernie was looking for the pot when he started the whole thing in the first place. I loved this Ernie and Bert skit, but I haven't seen it in so, so long. Can anyone help me remember it better?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
If you go to section 4 of this thread 1 of the posts there will give you full details of that 1.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Yes I do. First Ernie counted sheep, but he thought they were boring. So he went for noisy firetrucks and balloons.

And it's amazing how Ernie's imagination is so real, that Bert can actually hear what's Ernie's imagining.
Ironically, Bert was the one who suggested balloons as a quiet alternative to fire engines or the "boring" sheep. Guess he didn't count on Ernie's imagining the loudest balloon he could...:stick_out_tongue:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well actually it was Ernie who brought up balloons as an example of something to count. Bert had said, "You cannot count fire engines. That's too loud, you'll wake up the whole neighborhood (I guess everybody could hear what Ernie's imagining!). Now I want you to count something quiet to go to sleep with. None of those sounds." Then Ernie suggests, "How about balloons?" Bert says, "Balloons?" Ernie says, "Yeah, they're quiet they just sit there, you know." Then Bert says, "Okay count the balloons, but count them now so I can get some sleep!"
And then of course, ol' Ernie has to imagine blowing the balloons up. So much for counting them "just sitting there"! :stick_out_tongue:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Am fuzzy on the details of an Ernie and Bert skit. The one where Ernie waits for the man upstairs to drop his shoes I recall fairly well, but forgot for sure how it ends. From what I remember, the first shoe drops then Bert goes to sleep while Ernie waits for the second to fall. After the second drops, Ernie shouts to Bert, "Hey Bert, we can go to sleep now, the other shoe dropped!". But Bert was already asleep and not awakened by the other shoe, but was awakened by Ernie! Is that how that one concludes?
I asked this question about a year ago and since no one ever responded, I thought I'd bump the question in case a newer member might have some details, or an older member who may have missed seeing this the first time it was posted might catch it this time. Thanks.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Okay thanks. And was the man dropping the shoes supposed to be Gordon? I can't recall if Ernie specified a name. But Ernie and Bert were supposed to be underneath Susan and Gordon, right?

superboober

Reaction score
One I always enjoyed was where Ernie (moving back and forth really fast) gathers up all sorts of items for his latest bath, including a flashlight and umbrella, "just in case" and sure enough before long the light go out and it starts raining inside (apparently Ernie's exempt from the bad luck dictum of opening an umbrella inside). I remember an Anything Muppet showed up at the end, but I forget exactly who he said he was.