Explain to me again...

Tim

Reaction score
The original deal between Michael Eisner and Jim Henson was described by the industry as "a merger made in show business heaven", and I agree. The whole thing hinged on getting the characters for the licensing, the film and video library AND the services of Jim Henson. He's death, quite frankly screwed everything up. Without Jim, Frank and Jerry Juhl there, you got no "Muppets"-at least as we remember them. There was a "spark" of something (genius, perhaps?) that was snuffed out, and without that, all you have is "product". The puppets are still pretty to look at, and the perfomances over all are good. But there is nothing Jim Henson special or unique about them any more. Nothing Frank Oz gut funny. Nothing Jerry Juhl warm and thoughtful. Watching them now, it's like watching Lucille Ball in her last days. It's still THEM, but not what they used to be, not what we remember, and not as good. We as the audience have to decide if this is what we will accept as the best they can do. For me, I find it painful to watch. It's nice to see Kermit sitting next to say Jimmy Kimmel. It's just not entertaining. Not funny. Not Jim. It's product. Plug the film, sell the dolls. Isn't Kermit cute?

Accoriding to the Variety article, the "soft puppets" are not top priority with The JHC. Live action, CGI, and now "edgy adult humor" is. So you unload Kermit and the gang to Disney since they do know how to market. But as costs rise, and the Muppets draw dwindles, they become lower and lower priority for both Companies. So we have shiny new toys, and lots of DVDs. The Muppets show up on ABC with fake voices and no real humor or heart, Disney defrays Eisner's purchace through merchandise and The JHC gets a royalty check so than can tell dirty jokes on late-nite T.V..

I wouldn't be saying this, except that I am privy to some absolutly horrendous stories of how badly Henson has repetedly screwed it's own people, and the decisions made during many a closed door meeting, all over the sake of a buck.

So, enjoy the old stuff and learn to accept the new 'cause it aint getting any better folks.

No one cares any more.

BEAR

Reaction score
Maybe Muppet Central should just obtain the rights to the Muppets. Then we'd be safe and so would the Muppets.:wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Tim said:
I wouldn't be saying this, except that I am privy to some absolutly horrendous stories of how badly Henson has repetedly screwed it's own employees over the sake of a buck.
You mean Jim, himself, or the company after his death?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, that does sound pretty uncharacteristic of who Jim Henson Was. I really do believe that without Jim's guidance, his vision was lost.

Tim

Reaction score
Jim had to do a lot of things business-wise, and to a certain extent creativly that if things were different, he would probably would have chosen not to do, particularly toward the end of his life. But the stuff I know of that The JHC pulled off, he NEVER would done.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
Cause honestly I'd rather see old stuff on dvd before I see another horrid new muppet movie.:sympathy:
I personally agree. The new stuff has consistently disapointed. And we've barely seen enough of the classic Muppet material, which is the reason we love The Muppets to begin with. You can be a loyal fan and still acknowledge when new material is not working. I want The Muppets to keep doing new things when it's quality work, not just for the sake of continuing.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Tim said:
Jim had to do a lot of things business-wise, and to a certain extent creativly that if things were different, he would probably would have chosen not to do, particularly toward the end of his life. But the stuff I know of that The JHC pulled off, he NEVER would done.
I've heard the same stories I'm sure and even some about Jim's real sickness but I won't get into that...don't want to start problems.
It's just that everyone thinks the hensons are so sweet because Jim was...let me tell you right now they do not care about the muppets. Brian in my whol hearted opinion is a spoiled brat who thinks the sun only shines on him and he's the leader of the rat pack. He's really let me down personally.
I never got to meet Jim and well Brian is his son and I finally got to meet the man and I just could tell he's not in it all for the same reasons and everyone around him acts like he never does a thing wrong etc.
I agree 100% though Jim would have never done the things his kids are doing he was to creative and smart and had heart and from what I'm told hardly ever would lift his voice.
sorry guys I'm rambling....I know the muppets will never be the same again i'm trying to get over that fact. But it wouldn't hurt disney to give us wonderfull things from the past so we can remember the things we loved once. :frown:
heralde said:
I personally agree. The new stuff has consistently disapointed. And we've barely seen enough of the classic Muppet material, which is the reason we love The Muppets to begin with. You can be a loyal fan and still acknowledge when new material is not working. I want The Muppets to keep doing new things when it's quality work, not just for the sake of continuing.
exactly! why isn't muppets at walt disney world out on dvd why isn't muppets go to the movies on dvd they never have been if it was me I'd be jumping all over that to be making money on things never released on dvd people eat that stuff up even non fans as long as you tell them it's never been released ever they will go nuts for it! I mean seriously do I really need to go and apply for the job of marketing at freaking Disney! ugh..

JJandJanice

Reaction score
You know I have a few things I would like to say here.

First off, the idea that the Henson company sold the Muppets to Disney was because the company wants to focus on new projects is ludacris. That would be like Disney selling Mickey Mouse and his friends because they want to focus mainly on Pirates of the Caribbean and pixar. No, my friends the reason Henson sold the Muppets is because of one thing, money. Disney has been trying for fourteen years to buy the Muppets and they finally named the right price.

Second off, I'm just as big or maybe even bigger of a Muppet fan in here as anyone. But to hold and keep wishing that the magic that use to be in the Muppets is still there, well (at the risk of opening up a can of worms) is a little sad. I mean it's just not there anymore and it may not be for a long time. As mention, it's safe to say (with all the respect) that the Henson kids just don't share the same vision their father had, they are just not there dad.

A lot of fans are wacthing disney's everymove with the Muppets and truthfully, I think Disney needs more time. Like I said, I'm a huge Muppet fan as well, and sure it has been a year since Dinsey brought the Muppets, but want do you want from Disney. Let's not kid ourselves here, the Muppets haven't done all but too well, since the sad death of Jim Henson himself. The Muppets were becoming a sinking ship of sorts and it's not like Disneys is going to be able to turn it into the huge success it once was within a year. A lot of Muppet fans should get off Disney's backs about that.

Plus I also agree that I would rather have old dvds of what use to make the Muppets special rather than more bad Muppet movies.

Louder&Funnier

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I believe that Disney bought the Muppets as a last gasp for Michael Eisner's ego before he left the company. It was something he had been working on for much of his tenure and he managed to pull it off right before he left. More of a personal victory than a company benefit. Another problem is they are being run by Disney Consumer Products. And I'm sure they'd rather spend their money on a sure thing tinkerbell doll.
If the Muppets are to succeed, I believe they should actually create a small creative staff at either Walt Disney Pictures or ABC Development that includes volunteer "Creative Supervisors" from PIXAR and Disney Animation, many of whom are huge muppet fans. Give some time for projects to develop and nurture (as Lasseter is now doing with animation) and once they seem ready to be greenlit, then hire the necessary creative staff to pull it off again. I also believe that those people know the muppet's real audience: ADULTS. Or "children of all ages". A big problem for me is the way these corporations have turned franchises like The Muppets and Looney Tunes into "kids properties". They were never about that... and now they're old news.
Very frustrating!:grouchy: