Explain to me again...

BEAR

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about the Muppets and Disney lately and all the things that were planned but fell through (Muppet Christmas Caper, Next Top Muppet, etc...). Will someone please explain to me again why the Henson Company decided to sell the Muppets to Disney?

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
I thought someone here said that the JHC wanted to focus on other things. I still don't think they should have sold them though.

BEAR

Reaction score
Focus on other things and just throw out what made them the company they are? Jim Henson IS the Muppets and the Muppets IS Jim Henson. I just think it was a terrible business move for the Henson family. I mean, it has been over a year since the sell and they have not done anything new with the characters. Sure, there is new merchandise and the DVD's but what about these new projects they were gonna do? Did the Hensons know or even care that their father's greatest product is sitting stale doing nothing. And the Disney Company should realize that if they are going to use them then use them. If not, give them back where they are actually cared for and paid attention too.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
We fans have to do something! I LOVE the Disney movies and stuff, but they need to realize that the fans would like something more like Jim's dream. What can we do?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Did you ever stop and think that the powers that be (jim hensons spirit even maybe) could be not letting things work out. Cause honestly I'd rather see old stuff on dvd before I see another horrid new muppet movie.:sympathy:

BEAR

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
Did you ever stop and think that the powers that be (jim hensons spirit even maybe) could be not letting things work out. Cause honestly I'd rather see old stuff on dvd before I see another horrid new muppet movie.:sympathy:

I respect your opinion, but I'd like to see the Muppets continue to live on and grow. Any company could put out DVD's of old stuff. If that is what the Muppets were meant to do, then the JHC could simply crank those out without selling off the characters. But they are not meant to do that and we all know it. Many people out there have bashed the Muppet Oz movie, but you know what? Atleast it was something and it was an honest attempt to bring our Muppet friends back to the spotlight. You can't seriously tell me you would rather not see them do anything new. Otherwise there is no point for Disney or anyone to have ownership. To me, any true Muppet fan would want to see these guys keep going as long as possible. Jim Henson once said that the Muppets will last for as long as the public will let them. We are the public and with so many fans out there, there is no reason why they should die.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I respect your opinion, but I'd like to see the Muppets continue to live on and grow. Any company could put out DVD's of old stuff. If that is what the Muppets were meant to do, then the JHC could simply crank those out without selling off the characters. But they are not meant to do that and we all know it. Many people out there have bashed the Muppet Oz movie, but you know what? Atleast it was something and it was an honest attempt to bring our Muppet friends back to the spotlight. You can't seriously tell me you would rather not see them do anything new. Otherwise there is no point for Disney or anyone to have ownership. To me, any true Muppet fan would want to see these guys keep going as long as possible. Jim Henson once said that the Muppets will last for as long as the public will let them. We are the public and with so many fans out there, there is no reason why they should die.
Right on! We can't let them die!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Focus on other things and just throw out what made them the company they are? Jim Henson IS the Muppets and the Muppets IS Jim Henson. I just think it was a terrible business move for the Henson family. I mean, it has been over a year since the sell and they have not done anything new with the characters. Sure, there is new merchandise and the DVD's but what about these new projects they were gonna do? Did the Hensons know or even care that their father's greatest product is sitting stale doing nothing. And the Disney Company should realize that if they are going to use them then use them. If not, give them back where they are actually cared for and paid attention too.

I totally agree with you right there. No offense, but selling the Muppets- their signature creation to Disney, was the stupidest thing that they've ever done. Imagine what would happen if Warner Bros, or Disney, sold their well-known creations(insert them here) to another company? Then they would be nothing without them because they are what makes them what they are. And that's the same with Henson. The Muppets are Henson, Henson is the Muppets, Jim/JHC are Kermit, Kermit is JHC/Jim...you know what I mean. Or worse, what would happen if Sesame Workshop/CTW sold the rights to Sesame Street(and its characters as well) to another company? That would be the same thing there because Sesame Street was the foundation of the organization and is of course what they're famous for.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
If they sold them back to the Jim Henson company, do you think that they would care about them? After all, they are the one who sold them in the first place.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
If they sold them back to the Jim Henson company, do you think that they would care about them? After all, they are the one who sold them in the first place.
Haha! Exactly! That's the sad part.