Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Most of the long-time members here know I'm not a major fan of Elmo; despite that, I still worry about whether Sesame Street will survive so much negative press. The Workshop has had to face Jerry Nelson's death, Romney's "I love Big Bird" disclaimer, Hurricane Sandy hitting New York--and now, the biggest cast-member scandal since Northern Calloway got into legal trouble decades ago. *Kermit-style scrunchface*

I have no children myself, since major health problems have kept me from raising any; however, I share some forum members' fear that the Kevin Clash scandal will cause a major backlash against Sesame Workshop (mostly from parents who equate Elmo with his performer). A boycott will not help protect children against sexual predators, or against consensual relationships with older adults later in life. Clash was asked to resign, and he agreed that bringing his personal problems to work was bad for the show--end of story.

As for whether Elmo will be passed on to another performer...yes, that will happen eventually, after the worst of this scandal blows over. The new performer has big shoes to fill, though (figuratively speaking): whatever he does for Clash's characters, it'll take a long time to earn respect for his own skill. (Think of how fans reacted to Steve Whitmire when he took over Kermit and Ernie, for instance.)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The video was very touching. And agreed, such a sad ending to such a storied character.

Question though...what episode was Elmo performed as a Live-Hand puppet? Anyone?
It has happend sevral times before a lot of times in Elmo's World.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Still, I'm really sad about Kevin leaving. They can't get rid of Elmo because of his popularity. Still, I don't see someone taking his place. Who would be able to do the voice?
Honestly...I'm not all that worried about the voice. Anyone can do a voice impression. Muppeteers themselves have said the voice is secondary. I'm more so worried about the actual character. Kevin gave Elmo/ helped shape Elmo's personality in the 28 years he's had him. He's help build range and depth with the character beyond the likes any of us have seen. I'm hoping the new performer carries on with that tradition.

*Sigh*...Why is this happening? :cry:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Most of the long-time members here know I'm not a major fan of Elmo; despite that, I still worry about whether Sesame Street will survive so much negative press. The Workshop has had to face Jerry Nelson's death, Romney's "I love Big Bird" disclaimer, Hurricane Sandy hitting New York--and now, the biggest cast-member scandal since Northern Calloway got into legal trouble decades ago. *Kermit-style scrunchface*

I have no children myself, since major health problems have kept me from raising any; however, I share some forum members' fear that the Kevin Clash scandal will cause a major backlash against Sesame Workshop (mostly from parents who equate Elmo with his performer). A boycott will not help protect children against sexual predators, or against consensual relationships with older adults later in life. Clash was asked to resign, and he agreed that bringing his personal problems to work was bad for the show--end of story.

As for whether Elmo will be passed on to another performer...yes, that will happen eventually, after the worst of this scandal blows over. The new performer has big shoes to fill, though (figuratively speaking): whatever he does for Clash's characters, it'll take a long time to earn respect for his own skill. (Think of how fans reacted to Steve Whitmire when he took over Kermit and Ernie, for instance.)
I just hope that whom esver takes over Elmo will have the same passion as Kevin, and do a lot of the things Kevin has done to help people through Elmo. It's kind of like when Jim passed and Steve had to take over Kermit. He is not just taking on the duties of perfroming Kermit, but there is a leadership that has to be there. I feel that this is kind of the same for Kevin.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not entirely comfortable with the comparisons to Jim's death. This is a situation of someone losing a job over a potential scandal. It's not at all the same as someone's tragic passing.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Not entirely comfortable with the comparisons to Jim's death. This is a situation of someone losing a job over a potential scandal. It's not at all the same as someone's tragic passing.
No and I don't mean it in that way. I'm refering to the passing of the tourch for whomeever takes over Elmo. Jim's passing was a totaly differnt kind of tragic then this. I understand that completly, I was talking mostly about the dutites that whoever takes over for Kevin will be lkind of like what Steve had to go through. I'm not going to say that one is more tragic then the other they are both traigic just diffrent kinds.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No and I don't mean it in that way. I'm refering to the passing of the tourch for whomeever takes over Elmo. Jim's passing was a totaly differnt kind of tragic then this. I understand that completly, I was talking mostly about the dutites that whoever takes over for Kevin will be lkind of like what Steve had to go through. I'm not going to say that one is more tragic then the other they are both traigic just diffrent kinds.
It's OK, I wasn't trying to single you out specifically, I've just seen it mentioned a few different times in the thread and it concerned me a little.

ftnpro

Reaction score
So what if Kevin has a life we don't look proudly at? Richard Hunt did, and he was on Sesame Street until his end.
Huh? I have the utmost respect for Richard Hunt and have never heard anything about him to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.