Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Oh, dear. This really shocks me. It's too bad this had to result from the underage relationship incident. This summer Jerry Nelson passed, and now Kevin Clash "clashed" and resigned. :frown:

Well, the big question is who's going to take over as Elmo. But I also question who's going to become Puppet Captain / Muppet Coordinator. Perhaps David Rudman or Matt Vogel?

'Nuff said...

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, the big question is who's going to take over as Elmo. But I also question who's going to become Puppet Captain / Muppet Coordinator. Perhaps David Rudman or Matt Vogel?
I'm guessing either Matt or Joey Mazzarino. More likely Joey since he's already head writer, director, etc.

beaker

Reaction score
Ok, wanted to apologize. I got some facts wrong. This incident was alleged to have taken place in 2003, not 1993 as I misread. I do believe the young man when he says he was heavily sexually abused as a young child and growing up. However he admits to being with a lot of older men. So why single out Kevin?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/269999/22/Second-Elmo-accuser-speaks-out-files-5M-suit

I understand that sometimes it takes one person to come out for others who had waited or kept quiet like in the Sandusky case. Yet I honestly feel that the words "grossly inappropriate" reflect this situation more than "predator" or monster.
Yes, maybe it's my bias as a rabid supporter of all that is Jim Henson's creations.
So watch the press conference video and judge for yourself.

I sadly do see the story growing. A couple of "news" sites (like gawker) are using images like this in an effort to further try and connect readers to the Sandusky case.
If I thought last week was a nightmare news story for us all as Clash and SS fans, this
is even worse.

futureman

Reaction score
I'm very disappointed people on here are blaming TMZ or the accusers. Kevin Clash exercised very poor judgement, he seems to realize that. He isn't just some random person, he was the performer for one of the most popular children's characters.

beaker

Reaction score
Eeesh....

Singleton's lawyer, Jeff Herman, a Miami attorney specializing in abuse cases, says he's been contacted by two other potential victims and expects further legal action.
Two others? So there's four altogether accusing him of this? There's so many avenues, albeit highly risky, for someone who is a closeted gay man to find and pursue the company of other guys. Even young guys in the 18-22 range. The media is using the word "grooming" which of course implies an older person uses a position of power and trust to break someone down in various psychological and emotional ways. I have a feeling that ( regardless if it's true or what it all means) if those two others come out it's just going to get worse.

Brace yourself folks.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like how there's suddenly a few newbies coming into this thread basically all, "Dudes, Kevin Clash screwed himself into a corner, u guyz needs to stop puttin him on a pedastal and quit hatin on da haterz yo!"

What is this all about?

beaker

Reaction score
Guys, check out NBC Nightly News coverage of the story, which runs for about 3 minutes. You can tell NBC News are huge fans of Kevin Clash and Sesame Street and frame the story in much the same way we would. Seriously everyone should watch this, it's pretty much a love letter to Clash

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/49909539/#49909661

Jethrofinger

Reaction score
I still think this is a set up. These people are looking for money. I just can't believe that Kevin did this. Has anybody seen a documentary made on the people who accused Michael Jackson in 2004-2005? The guy was really innocent because the accusers were setting him up.

Still, I'm really sad about Kevin leaving. They can't get rid of Elmo because of his popularity. Still, I don't see someone taking his place. Who would be able to do the voice?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Guys, check out NBC Nightly News coverage of the story, which runs for about 3 minutes. You can tell NBC News are huge fans of Kevin Clash and Sesame Street and frame the story in much the same way we would. Seriously everyone should watch this, it's pretty much a love letter to Clash

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/49909539/#49909661
The video was very touching. And agreed, such a sad ending to such a storied character.

Question though...what episode was Elmo performed as a Live-Hand puppet? Anyone?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
NBC unlike Fox News has had a great relationship with Sesame and the Muppets as a whole. They did a nice job, and did you catch that they said that this would not affect the production of season 43 thats interesting I wonder how it wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.