eFX Collectibles to produce Muppet Replicas

What Muppet Replica do you want the most?

• Rizzo the Rat

Votes: 44 13.9%
  • Miss Piggy

Votes: 79 25.0%
  • Pepe the King Prawn

Votes: 42 13.3%
  • Fozzie Bear

Votes: 151 47.8%

• Total voters

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Kermit Reposed

Kermit was reposed again today and he was actually standing... meaning I was wrong about there being enough room in the display case. I took pictures, but won't have time to post them until I get home.

I thought the clothes looked even better with him standing, but you guys have been more critical than I have all along. Maybe seeing them in person makes a difference from the pictures. I thought they look really cool.

:stick_out_tongue:

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
Firstly can Muppetperson or OWE reiterate that the Kermit in the photos WAS A MR Kermit, and the clothing was THE CLOTHING FOR THE 10% LARGER original sized Kermit using the original patterns? I get it. They just put the MR Kermit in the clothes as they needed to display it as a reporter Kermit and not just have the clothing on display possibly giving people the wrong idea that the clothes would be available seperately.

You can clearly see how well Rizzo's clothing was tailored. That should give you an indication as to how well Kermit will look in his new duds.

and Lastly, without any sense of attitude or sarcasm or anything. I guess it's more of a question but, I am really surprised at almost everyone, not wanting these posers to be made in the closest to original materials. We're going to pay out the nose for it. But I personally would like to show people my posers and explain that they are 99% accurate to the actual thing. The real Muppet posers, including the possible eventual deterioration, just to say I owen(d) a Muppet. I don't think there's any way around it. For these too look absolutely accurate. I thought all the pics looked great, loved the "photo proto" photo. Any comments? :smile:

KK

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want my replica deteriorating on its own and I'm not buying them (for a small fortune) in order to have boasting rights to others. I want to enjoy them for years to come.

A replica can either be an exact or close copy of the original so slight alterations shouldn't be out of the question as long as they don't compromise the look or take over too much of the composition. Also, each incarnation of a poser or puppet has its own unique changes, not to mention the variety of looks and materials the puppets have had through the years. Posers also have some structural and material differences than the puppets.

I have seen internal images of official posers not seen by the public for reference purposes and many of them are falling apart even when not that old. They really do have an extremely short life. To make these items commercial they should be made to be durable. Disney wants that and the posers they use wouldn't pass muster on the market due to their fragility.

I say leave it to the quality control at Disney and EFX. I'll trust they know what's best and if the product looks good and if I've got the cash I'll get them. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
clothing was THE CLOTHING FOR THE 10% LARGER original sized Kermit using the original patterns? I get it.
Yes but what people are saying is the clothes are about 20% too big for even a LARGER 10% Kermit. Or at least seems that way from the photos - maybe its just the pics because Earl says it seems fine. Its just a mock up anyway, the clothes are proto, no matter.

What may be going on here is that the plans come from Puppet Heap and they have never (as far as i'm aware) dressed the Kermit poser as Reporter Kermit so the plans/style guide for the "outfit" were probably for the puppet and they had to upscale them for a poser. Rizzo is tailored perfectly, but they are well used to making clothes for his real poser and all the plans were probably there already.

I'm with the Frogboy on materials. Regular materials would start to look very worn (at the very least) about 7/8 years in after constant display. If a compromise can be made to keep things minty fresh for longer without it affecting the overall likeness thats cool - but when its something like Gonzo's nose and it put the whole likeness off and if there was no decent alternative then i probably agree that if they can get Disney to pass the authentic materials then thats probably the way they should go.

CyberSteak

Reaction score
Didn't realize that the Replicas had they're own section on the site. With that said, I've missed a lot with little time to catch up.

With eFX taking over the Replicas, and re-producing Kermit, will they also down the line be reproducing Gonzo and Animal?

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
Didn't realize that the Replicas had they're own section on the site. With that said, I've missed a lot with little time to catch up.

With eFX taking over the Replicas, and re-producing Kermit, will they also down the line be reproducing Gonzo and Animal?
Who knows. You would hope so! If they get to release all of the proposed line so far and have good sales then the could release say a modern Gonzo or a modern Animal...only time and good sales will tell!

Bear Man

Reaction score
and Lastly, without any sense of attitude or sarcasm or anything. I guess it's more of a question but, I am really surprised at almost everyone, not wanting these posers to be made in the closest to original materials. We're going to pay out the nose for it. But I personally would like to show people my posers and explain that they are 99% accurate to the actual thing. The real Muppet posers, including the possible eventual deterioration, just to say I owen(d) a Muppet. I don't think there's any way around it. For these too look absolutely accurate. I thought all the pics looked great, loved the "photo proto" photo. Any comments? :smile:

KK
I guess it's just a difference in priorities. I want something that looks just like what I see on screen or in pictures, and if I'm investing a not-insubstantial amount of money in it, I want it to last. I personally couldn't care less how close to the original materials they are, as long as they look right.

Take, for example, how I think they should address building characters like Fozzie that rely on a foam skeleton. I know, for example, that Fozzie's head is patterned foam. However, to replicate that exact look multiple times, I think it would be easiest to create a rigid plastic internal skull that can have fur stretched over it. Otherwise even small differences in the cutting and gluing of foam, a fur covering sewn ever-so-slightly off the exact pattern compressing or stretching the foam, etc, etc, will result in a shape that is "off". Make a rigid skull however, and it not only ensures that the base is right, but it would actually compensate for a fur covering that is not 100% perfectly created - the material will stretch to follow the correct contours of what is beneath it. By looking at it, you'd never be able to tell the difference between a foam and plastic skeleton, so why not go with the plastic that will not only last longer, but also provide a more accurate appearance?

I'd MUCH rather have a different method of production and an accurate look, than an "authentic" production method that gives a product that doesn't look quite right. At the end of the day, this is never going to be a "real" muppet, since it won't have been made by people who are intensely skilled in the process, so instead I want something that I know will look the same as every other one produced, the same as the puppet it is meant to be a copy of, and that it will look that way in 10 years time.

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I'd MUCH rather have a different method of production and an accurate look, than an "authentic" production method that gives a product that doesn't look quite right. At the end of the day, this is never going to be a "real" muppet, since it won't have been made by people who are intensely skilled in the process, so instead I want something that I know will look the same as every other one produced, the same as the puppet it is meant to be a copy of, and that it will look that way in 10 years time.
Agreed! :big_grin:

doc hopper

Reaction score
Looking forward to more photos of Kermit - I'd like to see those of him standing, plus I hope someone got close shots of his hat. Curious as to what it looks like from the side.