Early (pre-Kevin Clash) Elmo appearances (Brian Muehl and Richard Hunt)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it be presumed that Telly had multiple appearances in his deranged TV form?
Looking at the Muppet Wiki pages (which are "final aired versions", though sometimes things that happen in the scripted scenes end up differently), episode 1257 is Telly's only appearance in that form. However, the CTW Archives program guide for episode 1277 mentions a scene with Bob, Telly, and the kids that ended up not appearing in the final aired version (those program guides were compiled before the final edits of the episodes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The sandbox page now confirms a few episodes where Elmo is performed by Brian Meehl via audio/video footage (though, as has been noted on a talk page, we likely won't be able to see it online anytime soon), including the last episode of season 15.

I'd say that Richard Hunt's first performance as the character would be Elmo's first appearance in season 16 (since Meehl had left by then), but I guess they need the video/audio to confirm it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that would be interesting to note would be the first time Elmo referred to himself in the first person. I guess it was when he started speaking in full sentences as opposed to repeating the same words over and over.

And now I realize that in his Follow That Bird cameo, which was likely the first time Richard performed the character, he pretty much does that ("no no no no no no no!"). Given the context of the scene, it doesn't really come off as an obvious character trait.

scarecroe

Reaction score
We're still trying to lock down the first definitive appearances of Brian Muehl, Richard Hunt, and Kevin Clash, but I would assume at this point that it was when Richard took over. We have video confirmation of Richard's Elmo referring to himself in the third person, and it doesn't appear that Brian's Elmo ever spoke anything overly intelligible. We'll know for sure in the coming months I would guesstimate.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
We're still trying to lock down the first definitive appearances of Brian Muehl, Richard Hunt, and Kevin Clash, but I would assume at this point that it was when Richard took over. We have video confirmation of Richard's Elmo referring to himself in the third person, and it doesn't appear that Brian's Elmo ever spoke anything overly intelligible. We'll know for sure in the coming months I would guesstimate.
There's a guide now for episode #1969, but I'm not sure if that's Hunt's Elmo or Muehl's Elmo in there, however the character also appeared in many more episodes that season like 2035, 2055, and 2094, but are those episodes still Hunt's version of Clash's version?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the sandbox page on early Elmo performer transitions, it turns out that Richard Hunt performed Elmo in four episodes (not counting if he happened to perform Elmo in any inserts, whether before or after officially taking on the role).