D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This intrigues me; would you mind explaining?:confused:
Well, think about it... when Hawkeye and Trapper were writing up the personnel file for "Captain Tuttle", for religion, Trapper, without hesitation suggests atheist, and when Hawkeye tells him "I don't believe in atheism", Trapper looks a little both offended and confused like "how could you NOT believe in atheism".

Other examples include him giving Frank a hard time about reading the Bible by saying "Hey Frank, I peaked at the end... the Devil did it!"

And, of course, like Henry and Frank, he seems to have no problems with adultery by having one-night stands with countless nurses, meanwhile have a wife and children back in the states.

But then again, your asking for an explanation has made me have second thoughts, as in "Adam's Ribs", when Hawkeye's order of ribs finally arrives to the 4077th, everyone is at the table in the Mess Tent, and Trapper suggests they all give thanks; so if he really was truly an atheist, then I guess he wouldn't have suggested that at all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I've come to a decision... M*A*S*H is a VERY long show; it was initially on the air for eleven years from 1972 to 1983, with a total of 256 episodes, and if my free time is coming to an end this spring, then I want to be able to get in as many reviews as I can. So from now on, I'll be doing four episode reviews per day, if that's okay with you guys.

Season One

Episode 18: "Dear Dad... Again"

Writers: Sheldon Keller, Larry Gelbart
Director: Jackie Cooper
Original Airdate: February 4, 1973

Plot: In the second installment of the "Dear Dad" episodes, Hawkeye writes another letter to his father back home, describing day-to-day life at the 4077th, including: the long sessions in O.R., the new surgeon Captain , Corporal Klinger still parading around in dresses, Father Mulcahy being down in his back as of late, Hawkeye's stroll to the Mess Tent in the middle of the afternoon... completely naked, Radar trying to take a test to graduate from the Triple-A High School Diploma Company of Dellavin, Indiana, Frank Burns and Margaret's latest argument regarding how he only finds her to be a bag of desirable bones, Hawkeye learning that the new surgeon, Captain Casey, is really no surgeon, and not really even a captain, and Henry Blake starting his own camp band with Hawkeye on bass, Trapper on mandolin, Radar on drums, an enlistedman on piano, and Margaret as vocals.

Comments:
- Although this is the eighteenth episode of Season One, it was actually the seventeenth produced.

- Second "Dear Dad" episode, the third and last will air in the beginning of Season Two.

- GOOF: The laugh track was left on during the first O.R. scene of this episode.

- GOOF: William Christopher's hair in unusually bright red again in this episode.

- GOOF: Although Hawkeye is supposed to be naked as he strolls to the Mess Tent, when he's standing in the chow line, you can see Alan Alda is clearly wearing a pair of underwear.

- GOOF: There's excessive background music in this episode.

- GOOF: Hawkeye makes another mention of having a mother, AND a sister in this episode; his mother was supposed to have been dead for a long time now, and he was the only child they had.

What's Cut:
- The brief scene where Frank is storming for the Swamp, while Hawkeye and Trapper are lying in their cots with Hawkeye telling Trapper bad knock-knock jokes has been edited out.

- The entire scene where Frank is completely drunk in the middle of the night, and wants Hawkeye and Trapper to play with him has been completely cut out!

- Father Mulcahy playing a piano solo in the Mess Tent before Henry's band goes on has been nicked out for time.

Overall:
Out of the three "Dear Dad" episodes, this is probably my least favorite one; though it isn't a completely bad episode, it has it's moments... and one of the best moments was completely cut in syndication! I give this episode 5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 19: "The Long-John Flap"

Writers: Alan Alda
Director: William Wiard
Original Airdate: February 17, 1973

Plot: South Korea was in the middle of a severe coldsnap, and it made everyone at the 4077th miserable. Everyone, that is, except for Hawkeye, who receive the most wonderful present a man could ever hope for in mail call today: a pair of double-weaved, woolen long-johns! Hawkeye certainly is one lucky dog, but of course, he's made Trapper jealous, so Trapper figures if he makes enough of a fuss, he'll give in and give him his long-johns, so Trapper starts fake sneezing and couching, so Hawkeye gives him the long-johns to shut him up, Trapper then ends up loosing them to Radar in a poker game, Radar then gives them up to the cook for an entire leg of lamb and mint jelly, the cook gives them to an angry Frank Burns in exchange for him not busting him, Frank gives them to Margaret for upsetting her about mentioning not giving up his wife, Margaret then looses them when Klinger steals them, Klinger gives them to Father Mulcahy in guilt, Father Mulcahy gives them to Henry Blake for safe-keeping, Henry decides their his until Hawkeye and Trapper discover him in his office slipping them on, just as Henry's appendix starts to burst, so in the end, Henry gives the long-johns back to Hawkeye for doing a successful job on his appendectomy.

Comments:
- This is the first of several episodes written by series' star, Alan Alda. Alan later went on to direct several episodes as well, particularly Seasons Six through Eleven when he took partial control of the entire show. This is also the first episode in general to be written by a cast member, the next episode "The Army-Navy Game" was partially written by McLean Stevenson (Henry Blake).

- The laugh track is unusually loud in this episode.

- GOOF: Hawkeye mentions that Radar has asthma; if that were true, then Radar would've been 4-F, and couldn't join the Army. How do I know? That's the reason why the Marines AND the Army rejected me.

- GOOF: The extra tent in the Compound returns, and serves as Margaret's tent. Margaret's tent is supposed to be the fourth on in the line of tents down the Compound.

- GOOF: Why is Radar wearing the headset to the 4077th's main phoneline with toilet paper as earmuffs when his hat has ear flaps specifically for keeping his ears warm?

What's Cut:
- The entire scene with Radar having a date in the Mess Tent because of the long-johns has been nicked for time, including Hawkeye and Trapper standing in line, and inviting said date to sit with them instead.

- The scene where Margaret screams for help and dragging Hawkeye into her tent after the long-johns were stolen has been cut out entirely.

- After Henry begs Hawkeye not to cut open the long-johns to expose his skin for surgery, syndication fades to black, and when they return from a commerial, Radar giving the announcement that Henry is alright. Just after that, syndication cuts to Radar delivering the long-johns to Hawkeye; so this cut out Hawkeye and Trapper finishing up Henry's surgery, but even that final scene where Radar delivers the long-johns has been nicked for time.

Overall:
This probably my favorite Season One episode, next to "Cowboy"; it really makes me realize how much I wish we had more cold weather down here in the south more often, plus it's a really funny episode, in my opinion. I give it 10 stars all the way!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 20: "The Army-Navy Game"

Writers: McLean Stevenson (Story by), Sid Dorfman (Teleplay by)
Director: Gene Reynolds
Original Airdate: February 25, 1973

Plot: The 4077th is excited about the big Army-Navy football game being broadcasted on the Armed Forces Radio Network, but their excitment would be short-lived when the camp is suddenly under enemy attack and is being bombed senseless. Things REALLY start to heat up when to finish the attack, an unexploded bomb lands right smack dab in the middle of the Compound! Hawkeye makes a phone call to Regimental Headquarters to get instructions on what to do in this state of emergency; they instruct him to get a stethoscope to determine if the bomb's still ticking, and to get any markings off of the outside it, then to get back to them for furthur details. The ticking is loud and clear, the bomb appears to be marked: AFS72485, with three small circles and a square underneath; Regimental Headquarters can't help, as the marking don't check with them, so they tell Henry Blake to call the Naval Operational Headquarter, who instruct them to evacutate, even though the Army told them to stay. When the Naval Operational managed to track down the bomb, everyone is shocked to learn that the bomb actually belongs to the C.I.A., but at least now they have instructions on how to disarm it: with Henry Blake, Margaret, Frank Burns, and Radar at a safe distance, they walk Hawkeye and Trapper through the disarming; everything goes smoothly, until Henry accidentally gives out one direction before another, thus causing the bomb to stop ticking, and the next thing they know, the bomb explodes with a stack of paper flying through the air that reads "Give yourselves up, you can't win. Douglas MacArthur".

Comments:
- Although this is the twentifth episode of Season One, it was actually the twenty-second produced.

- The is the first of three episodes that were partially written by series' cast member McLean Stevenson.

- Corporal Klinger's current story about how he tried to avoid being drafted: when he was taken in for his physical, he ate the eye-chart, licked the doctor's ear, and stabbed his heal with the doctor's letter-opener.

- The final score in the Army-Navy game: Navy-42, Army-36.

- GOOF: When Henry is wounded while on the phone, he's so dazed, he thinks he's on the phone with his wife, to whom he refers to as Mildred. Henry's wife's name is Lorraine.

- GOOF: Hawkeye walks out into the Compound in his socks.

What's Cut:
- The scene where Hawkeye, Trapper, and Frank draw straws to determine who will be the one to check if the bomb is still ticking, and Frank drawing the short straw and passing out has been cut.

- The gay scene where Klinger walks in to Father Mulcahy's and confessing that the only reason he runs around in dresses to make everyone think he's crazy so they'll give him a Section Eight has been cut.

- In some syndicated prints, the brief scene where Radar confesses to a nurse that he's always had a crush on her, and wonders if she'd like to check out the Supply Tent with him is cut.

Overall:
A pretty good episode if I do say so myself... I actually prefer the syndicated version, though... that whole scene with Klinger and Father Mulcahy was just too awkward. I give it 7.5 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 21: "Sticky-Wicket"

Writers: Richard Baer (Story by), Laurence Marks, Larry Gelbart (Teleplay by)
Director: Don Weis
Original Airdate: March 4, 1973

Plot: Hawkeye has had it with Frank Burns's incompetence in O.R., but Margaret and Frank both has had it with Hawkeye's bashing of him, so they try to have him get him to apologize to him - PUBLICALLY - but Hawkeye refuses, knowing Frank doesn't deserve it. So when a patient Hawkeye operated on shows life-threatening complications in Post-Op, Frank is more than happy to lash back at Hawkeye for being "incompetent", though Hawkeye won't have it and starts beating Frank up. When Hawkeye's patient doesn't seem to be getting any better, he becomes so worried, that he decides to move out of the Swamp, and into the Supply Tent where he can be alone, and think of where he could've possibly gone wrong during surgery. After hours and hours of thinking, Hawkeye eventually falls asleep, and the problem comes to him in his dreams, so getting Margaret to assist him, Hawkeye opens the patient back up to see his dream was right; the shrapnel that he removed from his stomach tore the back of his colon.

Comments:
- For some reason, the last Season One episodes on DVD have replaced the theme music with a rather jazzy, brassy version of the theme.

- Richard Baer (who wrote this episode), wrote for a lot of other sitcoms back in the day, he his possibly known for being on the writing staff for Bewitched.

- The first time Hawkeye makes a comment to Margaret that actually makes her smile.

- TWO GOOFS IN ONE: When Hawkeye runs out of the Supply Tent to Margaret's tent, he runs out of Henry's tent, and runs all the way down to that extra tent that isn't supposed to be there. The Supply Tent is supposed to be next to the Latrine outside the Pre-Op doors.

What's Cut:
- The first scene in the Mess Tent with Hawkeye bashing Frank for his surgical skills in O.R. has been nicked for time.

- The brief scene where Radar wakes up Henry in his tent because of Margaret has been edited out for time.

- This episode losts its tail too, as the closing sequence where Hawkeye tries to move back into the Swamp, only to find Trapper gave his bunk to a new nurse has been cut.

Overall:
This is another one of those episodes that I don't watch a lot, but each time I do, I remember just how good of an episode it really is. I give it 6.5 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 22: "Major Fred C. Dobbs"

Writers: Sid Dorfman
Director: Don Weis
Original Airdate: March 11, 1973

Plot: Hawkeye and Trapper have had it with Frank Burns's idiotic behavior in O.R., but Frank has had it with Hawkeye and Trapper's pranks and practical jokes: nailing cots on top of each other for him to sleep on, stuff hamburger meat in his ears while he sleeps, dipping his hand in warm water so he'll wet his cot, so Frank finally requests Henry Blake transfer him to another M*A*S*H unit, but when Frank relates this news to Margaret, she's devastated that she'll be loosing Frank (that and Hawkeye and Trapper had tape recorder hidden in her tent while they were love talking, then later played it over the P.A. system), so Margaret requests a transfer as well; so with that, Henry punishes Hawkeye and Trapper for causing them to loose a surgeon and their Head Nurse by having them do Post-Op duty until he finds replacements for Frank and Margaret. Hawkeye and Trapper don't like that idea one bit, so they come up with a way to keep Frank around, and simulatneously will get Margaret to follow... later that night while Frank lies in bed, they shout whisper about finding sacks full of gold out in the countryside, and pretend to spill some of it for Frank to find, and when he does, he goes out to the edge of the minefield, and takes Margaret with him, to do a little gold-digging; after Frank seems to find what he thinks is gold, he decides not to go, and Margaret, of course, decides not to go either... afterwards, that's when Frank finds out that his personal goldrush was fixed when Hawkeye and Trapper drive by in a jeep painted completely in gold paint, and the gold nuggets he found turns out to be tooth fillings from the 4077th's dentist.

Comments:
- Although this is the twenty-second episode of Season One, it was the twentifth produced.

- Everyone on the company: the cast, the writers, the directors, the producers, etc, and the general fan public have all dubbed this episode as the worst episode of the entire series because of its excessive goofiness.

- Fred C. Dobbs was a real-life gold prospector.

- For once, Henry Blake is a bit more serious when it comes to being in command the way he chews Hawkeye and Trapper out for publically humiliating Frank and Margaret, and makes plans to punish them for their actions... even threatening to have them thrown into the stockade. Perhaps if Henry could've been a bit more serious about his job as commander more often, maybe he could've been just as good a Commanding Officer as his successor, Colonel Potter.

- When Frank and Margaret go gold digging, the cameramen use the "Day-for-Night" lens, which is a special lense used for making scenes look like they were filmed out night. It wouldn't be until later seasons when the producers actually start shooting scenes on the Fox Ranch during night.

- A small creek is found behind the 4077th behind the minefield, which will eventually dry out as the series goes on. This creek is probably why the shooting location is now known as Malibu Creek State Park, which is open to the public, though the actually shooting location of the series is now overgrown with foliage.

- This episode marks the first time Hawkeye makes out with Frank just to upset him.

- GOOF: Frank claims that when Hawkeye and Trapper nailed five cots on top of each other, he was sleeping twelve feet off the ground, however, in Frank's flashback, the cots came just above Hawkeye and Trapper's head, and they're both a little over six feet.

- GOOF: When Frank wakes up after his hand was dipped in a helmet full of warm water, Wayne Rogers starts breaking up a little, but tries to hide it by covering his mouth with his hand.

What's Cut:
- After O.R., Hawkeye and Trapper race out into the Compound to try to cheer up Ginger Bayliss after Frank upset her has been cut.

- The brief scene where Frank and Margaret find Radar pulling a pony bearing gold-painted prospecting tools has been edited out for time.

Overall:
Despite this being billed as the worst episode in the show's history, I actually find it to be a rather enjoyable episode... sure it's a little too Hogan's Heroesish, but I still like it. My rating for this episode is 7 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 23: "Ceasefire"

Writers: Robert Klane (Story by), Laurence Marks, Larry Gelbart (Teleplay by)
Director: Earl Bellamy
Original Airdate: March 18, 1973

Plot: Everyone was dead-dog tired of the war, but they'd soon be jumping for joy when General Clayton calls the 4077th with good news: ceasefire has been arranged! Everyone begins throwing a party through-out the entire camp, as General Clayton plans to join in on the festivities over drinks later that night before they all ship out for home; everyone is excited... well almost everyone... Trapper isn't excited one bit: he seems to think that the ceasefire won't last for long, and is afraid to get his hopes up. It's a bittersweet moment for Margaret and Frank Burns when they realize they'll never see each other again, Radar decides to quickly make himself up a scrapbook, and askes everyone in camp to sign it for him, Father Mulcahy has the camp join in in silent prayer for those who lost their lives during fighting in Korea, Hawkeye has one last one-night-stands with all the nurses he can, Henry Blake makes plans to become a family man again when he gets home to his wife and kids... and plans to meet up with Radar again back in the States sometime, and Corporal Klinger sells off all of his dresses knowing he won't need them anymore since the war's coming to an end. Finally, General Clayton joins in on the festivities with the 4077th, but unfortunately, everyone's high spirits are suddenly crushed when Radar relates the news he just received: the ceasefire is off, the war is back on, and there are choppers on the way with more wounded.

Comments:
- It is believed that the show did this particular episode so close to the end of the season because the show was on the verge of cancelation due to low ratings, and the fact that the series didn't do too well during it's first year.

- Oops, I forgot, Ho-Jon really, REALLY appears for the last time in this episode, when Hawkeye gives him anything from the Swamp he wants as souvenirs.

- In response again to Brian's earlier asking for an explanation on my observation of Trapper possibly being an atheist, I guess he isn't really one after all, as he joins in on the silent prayer Father Mulcahy holds during the party for the soldiers who lost their lives in the war.

- Both Henry and Radar's homes are revealed for the first time in this episode: Henry Blake hails from Bloomington, Illinois, while Radar says he's from Iowa, though he doesn't say specifically where in Iowa just yet.

- GOOF: When a jeep full of party-goes drives around in circles around the Compound, shooting roles of toilet paper into the air as streamers, a role of toilet paper ends up hanging from the network of stage lighting.

- GOOF: The extra tent in the Compound returns yet again, and serves as Margaret's tent, when her tent should be the one before it.

What's Cut:
- In some syndicated prints, some of the scenes where an upset Margaret whines in her tent about not seeing Frank again, including when Radar knocks on her door to ask them to sign his scrapbook have been cut.

- Once again, this is an episode that lost its tail, as the closing sequence where Hawkeye and Trapper are sitting in what USED to be the Swamp (apparently Ho-Jon took the whole tent with him as a souvenir) has been cut.

Overall:
Nice episode. 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season One

Episode 24: "Showtime"

Writers: Larry Gelbart, Larry Gelbart, Laurence Marks
Original Airdate: March 25, 1973

Plot: This episode features five different sub-plots:
1. A trio of sultry, singing sisters tour through-out South Korea, and make a stop at the 4077th to entertain the doctors and nurses.
2. Frank Burns decides that Hawkeye has gone too far in his practical jokes against him, and decides to fight back by playing pranks on Hawkeye for a change.
3. Henry Blakes is upset because Lorraine is back home, getting ready to give birth to their third child, and he can't be there with her as it happens.
4. Trapper is having trouble with a severly wounded patient in O.R., who doesn't have any real chances for survival.
5. The 4077th's dentist has gotten his orders to ship home, but he refuses to do anything that's even SLIGHTLY physical for fear that he'll be injured and be laid up and not be able to go home.

Comments:
- M*A*S*H was on the verge of cancelation: out of several new shows that were on the air for the 1972-1973 TV season, M*A*S*H came in number 55 in the Nielsen Ratings that year, and the show didn't do too well over all during it's initial first year on the air. HOWEVER, during the summer, when CBS aired reruns of the series, more people were able to tune in, and their ratings shot up from 55 into the top ten, so CBS renewed the series for another two seasons (which would make the series last as long as the actual Korean War).

- This is really the first episode that featured multiple storylines in one episode; M*A*S*H in general was one of the first sitcoms to use multiple storylines in each episode.

- The Hawaiian Shirt the entertainer in this episode wears would later be worn by B.J. Hunnicutt through-out Seasons Four through Six.

- This episode marks the final appearance of the 4077th's first "gas passer", Ugly John, who was written out the series by the writers who felt there were too many minor characters on the show to fool around with.

- At one points, a few of the enlistedmen perform for the rest of the 4077th, in this scene, Radar does a rockin' drum solo; prior to his M*A*S*H days, Gary Burghoff was an accomplished drummer, and even had his own short-lived Dixieland band which he played the drums, and was the lead vocalist.

- GOOF: Henry refers to his wife as Mildred in this episode.

What's Cut:
- The only thing that was cut from this episode was it's closing sequence, which breaks the fourth wall by saying good-bye to the characters on the show, and having their actors' names flash at the bottom of the screen as they do so.

Overall:
Yet another episode that I don't watch a lot, but when I do, I remember just what a good episode it really is. Also, a nice way to end the first, and what might have been the only season of this show. I give it 8.5 out of 10 stars.

And now... on to Season Two!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Two

Episode 25: "Divided We Stand"

Writers: Larry Gelbart
Original Airdate: September 15, 1973

Plot: General Clayton has grown to feel that the 4077th isn't up-to-par as it used to be, and sends a pychiatrist up to the 4077tht to make observations on the staff, and decide whether or not the unit shall remain untouched, or if the staff should be disbanded and shipped out to other units. So when Henry Blake finally gets wise, he acts everyone to STOP acting crazy so they won't be broken up.

Comments:
- When the series was renewed for another season, Larry Gelbart wanted to write "a second pilot" to kick off the season, as a chance to re-introduce the characters to everyone who were just now tuning in to watch the series, and that's pretty much just how this episode played out: a second pilot.

- General Clayton appears to have dyed his hair brown.

- The blue backdrop outside Henry's office window has been taken down so actual scenery can be seen outside his window.

- The only recurring characters from Season One who returned in this season were Corporal Klinger, Father Mulcahy, and Ginger Bayliss, even though Ginger would eventually would be written out later this season as well.

- This episode marks the second time Henry has to deliver a sex lecture to the 4077th, and the second one that has been cut out in syndication.

- Jamie Farr plays both Corporal Klinger and the P.A. announcer in this episode.

What's Cut:
- An observation of Frank Burns finding out the Commandments in his Bible had been re-written by Trapper, and Hawkeye trying to cuddle with a nurse and pour martinis at the same time had been edited out.

- After Henry's meeting with Hawkeye and Trapper, syndication fades to commercial, thus cutting out Henry's following meeting with Frank and Margaret.

- Henry delivers his second sex lecture to the 4077th, and this one is cut from syndication as well.

- The closing sequence from this episode as the P.A. announcer askes the viewers to continue watching the show each and every week has been cut... good thing too, as it breaks the fourth wall again, and as the announcer announces each character, the actors' names flash at the bottom of the screen.

Overall:
A rather interesting way to kick off Season Two of the series, though I must admit, this isn't one of my favorite episodes... confidentially, this isn't really one of my favorite seasons either. I give this episode 3 out of 10 stars.