Episode Title: "Hanky Panky"
Episode Number: 116
Season Number: Five
Original Airdate: February 1, 1977
Production Code: U822
Writers: Gene Reynolds
Director: Gene Reynolds

Episode Summary
The 4077th sure does have some excellent nurses, including Carrie Donovan, whom Hawkeye suspects has a thing for B.J. with the way she always just so happens to volunteer for Post-Op duty or Supply duty at the same time B.J. does, though B.J. tries to put his best friend's mind at ease by telling him there's nothing going on between them, though B.J. can't deny the fact that his friendship with Carrie is sort of blossoming a bit, so when Carrie receives heart-breaking news in Mail Call that her husband back home met another woman, B.J. offers her some words of comfort, which then lead up to an unplanned one night stand. The next day, B.J. is completely miserable when he realizes what has happened, and feels as if the world is coming to an end when he sees that he fell off the fidelity wagon and for once was actually unfaithful to Peggy and Erin; Hawkeye feels for B.J., but tries to assure him that this will pass, and no matter what happens he should never, EVER tell Peggy about what happened, reasoning that just because he needs to punish himself he shouldn't punish her as well. Carrie sees how salty and irritable B.J. has become, and feels that things would be better if she were to be transfered to another unit, though her transfer is denied, so finally, she confronts B.J. about his attitude and tries to tell him that no matter how hard they try not to be, they're still human beings and that they both know that something like this won't ever happen again, but they can still be friends, "closer than most, but still friends". All this happens, meanwhile Margaret receives word that Donald Penobscott is in the hospital and is so worried about what might have happened to him and begs Colonel Potter to let her go see him, though he denies her request because she's still needed at the 4077th.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the nineteenth episode of Season Five, it was actually the twenty-second produced.

* Father Mulcahy doesn't appear in this episode.

* Although Mike Farrell liked that B.J. was a very faithful man, he felt that he still shouldn't be above temptations, so Gene Reynolds wrote this episode especially for Mike about B.J. stumbling.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Claiming he's the Toledo Stranger, a madman from Toledo who always wears a yellow scarf and kills women motorcycle cops.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The Mail Call scene in the Mess Tent has been nicked for time.

* The entire scene where Margaret wakes Radar up in the middle of the night demanding to place a call to Donald has been completely cut.

* The breakfast scene in the Mess Tent has been nicked for time.

* The closing sequence where apparently Margaret has woken up Radar again to place a call to Donald and finally gets through has been cut.

Favorite Quote
HAWKEYE: How do you f--
B.J.: (Interrupts) Terrible.
HAWKEYE: Do you wanna--
B.J.: (Interrupts) No.
HAWKEYE: Nothing like an old fink to tell your problems to.
B.J. I don't wanna talk about it!
HAWKEYE: Come on, I'm a doctor maybe I can fix it!
B.J.: (Sighs) Hawk, you're looking at a man who fell off the fidelity wagon...
HAWKEYE: I THOUGHT I heard a thump sometime last night.
B.J.: ... And I'm MISERABLE... I'm a happily married man, not like Frank Burns is happy because he wife owns real-estate...

Overall
Opinion: Meh, it has its moments...
Rating: Click here

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Hepatitus"
Episode Number: 117
Original Airdate: February 8, 1977
Production Code: U823
Writers: Alan Alda
Director: Alan Alda

Episode Summary
Hawkeye is having serious back problems, which are just about to get worse when he, B.J., and Colonel Potter discover that Father Mulcahy has come down with Hepatitus, and he is ordered to treat him, while going around the rest of the camp to examine everyone else to make sure they aren't infected as well. So while Hawkeye goes around camp drawing blood from everyone and giving them shots in the butt, B.J. finds a severly wounded soldier in O.R. who appears to require a Gastrectomy, something no one has ever attempted before at the 4077th, though B.J. is assigned to do it, reasoning that since he's actually done some reading on the procedure, makes him the closest thing to thing to an expert they have. B.J. performs the surgery step-by-step from the book, and is delighted when he finishes and realizes the patient is going to make it, so he celebrates in the Officers' Club by getting drunk, and stripping down to his underwear.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twentieth episode of Season Five, it was actually the twenty-third produced.

* Through most of Season Five, William Christopher was absent due to Hepatitus in real-life, which inspired Alan Alda to write this episode where Father Mulcahy comes down with Hepatitus.

* It's revealed in this episode that Frank Burns is a hypochondriac.

* Looks like Larry Linville got himself quite a haircut.

* It's also revealed in this episode that Corporal Klinger's favorite baseball team is the Toledo Mudhens.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The scene where Margaret confides in Hawkeye about the letters she's been getting from Donald Penobscott's mother while he examines her has been nicked for time.

* The entire scene where Hawkeye examines Radar, while he confides in him about how he doesn't feel like a real man while his pals go out with business girls at Rosie's Bar, while he just simply feels sleepy has been completely cut.

* The closing sequence where B.J. lies in bed suffering from a hangover while Hawkeye attempts to do a handstand, figuring his back is better now has been cut.

Favorite Quote
HAWKEYE: Have I ever told you you're cute with your shirt off?
B.J.: No.
HAWKEYE: And I think I know why.

Overall
Opinion: Rather amusing episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "The General's Practitioner"
Episode Number: 118
Original Airdate: February 15, 1977
Production Code: U807
Writers: Burt Prelutsky
Director: Alan Rafkin

Episode Summary
A Colonel who's an aide to the current General in charge of the U.S. troops in Korea rides into the 4077th in hopes to get ahold of their best surgeon for the General's personal practitioner, and because of his excellent surgical skills and the number of lives he's saved, the Colonel is pretty sure that Hawkeye is the best choice to be the General's practitioner, though Hawkeye knows that he'd be much more useful in an actual hospital, rather than being a lacky for some General, but the Colonel and the General won't back down in their fight to get ahold of him. All this happens, meanwhile one of the enlistedmen is being shipped for home, but he'll be leaving behind a (Korean) wife and (Korean) baby, and he asks Radar if he'll take his place for him after he leaves for home, to which Radar reluctantly agrees to.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-first episode of Season Five, it was actually the seventh produced.

* When Hawkeye is trying to revive a patient he's operating on, he exclaims "Don't let the b@+@rd win!" M*A*S*H was one of the first primetime series to use the word "b@+@rd".

* To date: Colonel Potter will be assigned to the 4077th for another 14 months and 11 days.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Don't really know, I only saw this episode once in syndication.

Favorite Quote
HAWKEYE: War isn't h e l l. War is war, and h e l l is h e l l, and of the two, war is a lot worse.
FATHER MULCAHY: How do you figure that, Hawkeye?
HAWKEYE: Tell me, Father, who goes to h e l l?
FATHER MULCAHY: Well, sinners basically.
HAWKEYE: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in h e l l.

Overall
Opinion: Radar's situation is the only thing worth watching in this episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Movie Tonight"
Episode Number: 119
Original Airdate: February 22, 1977
Production Code: U824
Writers: Gene Reynolds, Don Reo, Allan Katz, Jay Folb
Director: Burt Metcalfe

Episode Summary
Just about everyone of the 4077th are in a foul mood, but Colonel Potter is sure he has the cure: not only has another shipment of mail arrived, but so has a movie for a movie night in the Mess Tent. He later reveals that the movie is his personal favorite, "it has the three things that make a movie great: horses, cowboys, and horses. You may have guessed it's a western, and it's called... now hold onto your hats... My Darling Clemetine!" So everyone turns out in the Mess Tent for movie night, but when the film suddenly tears, Colonel Potter is determined to keep the party alive, so while Klinger fixes the film, and Father Mulcahy retrieves the piano out of the Officer's Club, Colonel Potter leads the camp in a sing-along of "The Tennessee Waltz". Klinger then gets the film fixed, but it isn't before long that the bulb in the projector blows, but before anyone has the chance to complain, Colonel Potter has Father Mulcahy lead the camp in another sing-along "Gee Ma, I Wanna Go Home". Klinger gets the new bulb in the projector, but now the sound has gone out, so while Klinger fixes it again, Hawkeye leads everyone in a Father Mulcahy sound alike contest. Klinger manages to fix the film again, only this time it melts, so before anyone does anything, Hawkeye volunteers Margaret to entertain the troops by singing a sultry song for everyone. Klinger finally fixes the film for good, just in time for the final shoot-out, which gets the personnel so excited and worked up, they all start to act out their own shoot out and pretend to shoot everyone, and once everyone finally plays dead, the party's over: more wounded have arrived.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-second episode of Season Five, according to production numbers, it should be the twenty-four, second-to-last episode of the season.

* My Darling Clemetine was released in theaters in 1946; it was later released on DVD in January of 2004.

* David Ogden Stiers (who didn't join the show until next season) said that William Christopher sound-alike contests were done on a regular basis around the set.

* GOOF: When the film projector breaks down for the second time, Alan Alda shouts his line a split second BEFORE it does so.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The opening sequence with everyone scrubbing up the O.R. has been nicked for time.

* Two scenes in one have been cut: Hawkeye trying to pick up the nurses into going to the movies with him, while Frank does the same with Margaret.

* In syndication, a commercial break is inserted before the chauffer arrives for the nurses; this was done so this episode could lose its closing sequence again. The closing sequence features Colonel Potter and everybody harmonizing to the song "My Darling Clementine" in the O.R.

Favorite Quote
B.J.: Hey, Hawk, guess what Peg sent me?
HAWKEYE: A pony?
B.J.: No, a Dutch Applecrumb Pie, it's delicious, try some!
HAWKEYE: (Tastes the pie) This is really crummy.
B.J.: Yeah!
HAWKEYE: No, crummy as in "awful".
B.J.: What? You gotta be kidding!
HAWKEYE: Would a dying man kid? Frank, let me borrow some of your shoe polish!
B.J.: What for?
HAWKEYE: I wanna get this rotten taste out of my mouth!
B.J.: You HAVE no taste!
HAWKEYE: I did before I ate that pie!

Overall
Opinion: My third favorite Season Five episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Souvenirs"
Episode Number: 120
Original Airdate: March 1, 1977
Production Code: U819
Writers: Burt Prelutsky, Burt Prelutsky, Reinhold Weege
Director: Joshua Shelley

Episode Summary
Hawkeye and B.J. are digusted at the way chopper pilot Stratton has established himself as a junk dealer in Korea; his hobby is to have local children track down various items through out the country side to bring back to him for him to sell as "souvenirs" to the troops fighting in the war. What really burns Hawkeye and B.J.'s buttons is that often times the children end up being wounded in their quests for "souvenirs", so they ask Colonel Potter to hold a lecture to the entire camp about the dangers of souvenir collecting in a warzone, and while he may not have the authority to put a stop to it, he does suggest that whoever does it to stop immediately. As Colonel Potter predicted, his speech goes in one ear and out the other as Stratton continues his junk dealing, so Hawkeye and B.J. decide to try to put a stop to him themselves. All this happens meanwhile, Corporal Klinger works his way up the basketball pole where he intends to stay there until Colonel Potter gives him his discharge, which he denies Klinger, HOWEVER, Colonel Potter DOES come up with a clever idea: if Klinger stays up the pole for four days straight, then he'll break the M*A*S*H Pole-Sitting Record, and will be rewarded with a pass to Tokyo for R&R. Meanwhile, Frank Burns tries to hide a Korean antique vase he bought as a souvenir when an M.P. relates the news that it was stolen, while at the same time also hide that Margaret once gave him that she now wants back because she no longer wants anything to do with him.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-third episode of Season Five, it was nineteenth produced.

* Radar doesn't appear in this episode.

* The film quality of this episode is rather awkward.

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Scheme to Get Out of the Army: Sitting on top of the basketball pole until Colonel Potter gives him a Section 8.

* This episode features another appearance by a guest star who would later go on to become a big-name celebrity: John Candy as the M.P. looking for the stolen vase that Frank has.

* GOOF: Klinger doesn't wear gloves in O.R.

* GOOF: B.J.'s daughter, Erin, is now two-years-old, however, for the rest of the series, she's still a little over a year old... in fact, she doesn't turn two, officially, until the final episode.

* GOOF: When Colonel Potter asks Klinger how many hours he's been up the pole so far, he says 48. Colonel Potter asks this in the middle of the afternoon, yet earlier in the episode, Klinger said he climbed up the pole in the middle of the night.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter talking to Klinger up on the basketball pole has been nicked for time (mostly when Frank walks by and suggests they chop down the pole).

* The scene in the Officers' Club where Margaret gets drunk and knocks out Stratton has been nicked for time.

* The brief scene where Frank drops the vase in a package has been edited out.

* The scene where Frank finds what looks like Radar rummaging through his stuff, then attacks him only to discover it's really Margaret, who gets ahold of her ring has been cut.

* The following scene where breakfast is held in the Mess Tent has been nicked for time as well (mostly cutting out Colonel Potter having a talk with Margaret about her behavior).

* The closing sequence where Margaret demands Frank pay her fifteen dollars for having an inscription for his wife has been cut.

Favorite Quote
COLONEL POTTER: Klinger, if I got rid of all the crazies in this outfit, I'd be the loneliest man in Korea.

Overall
Opinion: Klinger's latest scheme was gold, the rest of the episode wasn't even copper.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plot from the sucky TV.com (how dare they buy TV Tome and screw it up)

Episode Information
Episode Title: "Post-Op"
Episode Number: 121
Original Airdate: March 8, 1977
Production Code: U825
Writers: Ken Levine, David Isaacs (Teleplay By), Gene Reynolds, Jay Folb (Story By)

Episode Summary
In the midst of a deluge of patients and their individual medical histories, the 4077th is out of blood. Everyone in camp is donating at 48-hour intervals when a truckload of Turkish soldiers arrives to offer their blood and save the day.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-fourth episode of Season Five, it was twenty-fifth produced.

* Radar and Father Mulcahy don't appear in this episode.

"Deleted" Scenes

Favorite Quote

Overall
Opinion: Snoresville

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Episode Information
Episode Title: "Margaret's Marriage"
Episode Number: 122
Original Airdate: March 15, 1977
Production Code: U820
Writers: Everett Greenbaum, Jim Fritzell

Episode Summary
Frank Burns is so sick and tired of Margaret talking shop about her fiance, Donald Penobscott, and razzes her for being engaged to the man for eight months, that Margaret finally decides that Frank is right and the she and Donald should be married right away, so after a long session in O.R., Margaret gets Donald on the phone and he agrees and plans to drive into camp tomorrow morning to meet with Margaret and to get married in the 4077th, much to the dismay of Frank, who fears that if Donald finds out about how he used to have an affair with her before she got engaged he'll kill him, so he requests for a two-week vacation, but is denied. The next day, while everyone is playing basketball, Donald finally arrives, and asks Father Mulcahy to join them in wedlock, while Radar files out all the necessary wartime marriage paperwork, and the biggest bombshell of them all: Donald asks Frank to be their best man, which he agrees to. Later that night, while the nurses throw Margaret a shower in their tent, the men throw Donald a smoker in the Swamp where they all get drunk and Donald passes out, when B.J. gets a sneaky idea: put Donald in a cast from his chest to his ankles and tell him broke both legs! The next morning, the wedding is underway, but unfortunately is cut short when incoming choppers fly in with a batch of wounded, so after the wedding, everyone heads into the O.R. for surgery, and afterwards, Margaret and Donald are onboard their chopper for their honeymoon.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* Although this is the twenty-fifth episode of Season Five, it was twentieth produced.

* The film quality of this episode is rather awkward.

* This episode marks the final appearance of Larry Linville as the series' un-official villain, Major Frank Burns. Larry had a contract for the show for five years, but when the network asked him if he'd like to renew it, he declined and asked to leave the series, as he felt that since Margaret got engaged, and now married, they had done all they could with the character of Frank (that and he felt Frank become more and more of a paranoid psychopath).

* This episode also marks the departure of the series' current (executive) producer, Gene Reynolds, though afterwards, Alan Alda and Burt Metcalfe continue to consult with him once a week until the series' end in 1983.

* This episode marks the first of two on screen appearances by Margaret's fiance/husband, Lieutenant Colonel Donald Penobscott, though he wasn't played by the same actor in both appearances; in this episode, he is played by Beeson Carroll. His second appearance would be in the middle of Season Six, where he is played by Mike Henry.

* Though Margaret and Donald marry in this episode, they'll eventually divorce in the beginning of Season Seven.

* Apparently, all of Season Five took place in eight weeks.

* Donald Penobscott is Methodist, while Frank Burns is supposedly Presbyterian.

* Radar attended his Uncle Ernie's wedding, where he threw up all over the flower girl because he overate at the ceremony.

* Klinger gives Margaret his wedding dress for her to wear at the wedding, his Uncle Zach used it to get out of WW1, while he admits he always wished that if he had a daughter that she'd wear that dress for her wedding.

* Father Mulcahy does his infamous "Jocularity! Jocularity!" quote for the first, and only time in this episode. Why it's so famous, I'll never know.

* GOOF: Why would Frank be worried about Donald finding out about his and Margaret's love affair? Margaret ended it when she got engaged to Donald, so technically, there'd be no reason for Donald to be sore at Frank.

* GOOF: Colonel Potter finds Radar passed out in the Compounds and tells him to get up or he'll get dirt in his nose, yet this was shot on Sound Stage 9, where the ground was concrete.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The basketball game has been cut short.

* The entire scene where Radar relates the news to Colonel Potter about Hawkeye and B.J. wanting to throw Donald a smoker and the cook baking a wedding cake with chocolate frosting has been completely cut.

* The closing sequence where Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter all "comfort" Frank in the Swamp in the middle of the night has been cut.

Favorite Quote
KLINGER: (Toasting Donald) May your house be filled with children, and your garage filled with camels!

Overall
Opinion: WONDERFUL episode! Great season finale!

Alright, you know what this means? Tomorrow I start reviewing my favorite season! I also plan a few more tweaks and improvements for my reviews tomorrow, and you'll soon see!

Princeton

Reaction score
Episode Title: "Souvenirs"

* This episode features another appearance by a guest star who would later go on to become a big-name celebrity: John Candy as the M.P. looking for the stolen vase that Frank has.
Actually, The M.P. was played by the great character actor Brian Dennehy, who I actually had the pleasure of meeting last summer.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yay, it's time to start reviewing my all-time favorite season!

M*A*S*H
Season Six

In which Major Charles Emerson Winchester is called in to replace Major Frank Burns.

FADE OUT, FADE IN -- PART 1

Still shots (See why it's nice to be able to post images in our posts?)​

Episode Information
Episode Number: 123 (6X01)
Original Airdate: September 20, 1977
Production Code: Y101
Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Director: Hy Averback

The Plot
The 4077th is in big trouble, a deluge of casualties are brought into camp, and not only are they short their Head Nurse since Margaret's on her honeymoon, but they're also short a surgeon because Frank Burns is late from returning from R&R, so while all available personnel work feverishly to save lives, including one wounded doctor, a Dr. Berman, Colonel Potter has Radar call Tokyo General Hospital for them to send in a temporary surgeon to take Frank's place. They send in their finest surgeon, Major Charles Emerson Winchester, an aristocratic, social snob, who is less than delighted at the thought of his 48 hour stint at the 4077th, but has no other choice. Meanwhile, back the 4077th, Margaret returns early from her honeymoon, and immediately tries to drown herself in her work, though everyone prods her for relate stories of her honeymoon. As Charles is on his way to the 4077th, a patient named Captain Schaffer, passes himself off as lawyer, and promises to get Corporal Klinger his Section 8, right as Colonel Potter receives a call from the military police department in Tokyo, and learns that there are charges pressed against Frank for being drunk, molesting a blonde thinking she's Margaret, and begging to clip her toenails, as well as later charges for grabbing another blonde lady on a bus for Seoul and when the lady screamed and the bus stopped, Frank jumped out the window. Charles finally arrives at the 4077th, and he proves to not only be a Major as far as rank is concerned, but having a major ego when he manages to perform an emergency operation on Dr. Berman, that would be a bit difficult for Hawkeye. Finally, afterwards, Colonel Potter gets another call, this time from Frank himself, as it turns out, Frank is being transfered back to the States.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* This episode was originally broadcasted as a special hour-long season premiere, a new little tradition the series would do for Seasons Four, Five, Six, and Ten. They all, however, were ultimately split into two-parter half-hour episodes in syndication.

* This episode marks the first appearance of the 4077th's newest surgeon, Major Charles Emerson Winchester, who was called in to replace Frank Burns at the 4077th; Charles's actor, David Ogden Stiers, shared similar feelings that Mike Farrell had when he first joined the series, fearing that if the series failed after this season, it would be his fault.

* Frank Burns IS, however, refered to in this episode (Colonel Potter even talks to him on the phone), but isn't is seen.

* Beginning in this season, the series uses new, more duller sounding laugh tracks that sound like a small group of women giggle at gossip.

* Radar has a new cap this season which appears to be unusually large and deep for a cap of its kind.

* William Christopher complained about the scene with Father Mulcahy in the Mess Tent about him only suspecting that Frank was having an affair with Margaret, reasoning that surely Father Mulcahy wasn't THAT naive (not to mention the entire camp knew about their affair, so eventually, SOMEONE would've spread it to him).

* Corporal Klinger's Latest Attempt to Get Out of the Army: Captain Schaffer claims to be a lawyer and promises Klinger his Section 8.

* Apparently, B.J. is an atheist.

* Charles graduated from Harvard University, as well as attended Massachusetts General Hospital.

* Charles is from Massachusetts, but isn't until later it's revealed he's specifically from Boston.

* Charles's mother was once a concert pianist.

* This season starts using a special flash before the closing credits, in which when the episode finishes, the frame freezes, while a few credits flash over it before the main closing credits roll.

* Alan Alda and Burt Metcalfe take over complete control over the series, hence why a lot of people refer to the series as "The Alan Alda Show".

* GOOF: The scene where Colonel Potter finds Radar up on the helipad waiting for Frank is supposed to take place at sunrise, yet it obviously was shot at sunset.

"Deleted" Scenes
* Two scenes in a row: first, the entire scene in the Mess Tent where Hawkeye, B.J., and Father Mulcahy enjoy breakfast, while discussing Frank's being on R&R has been completely cut, as well as...

* Afterwards, where Radar throws up after smoking Colonel Potter's cigar just as choppers make their way to the 4077th has also been completely cut.

* Charles's jeep ride to the 4077th has been nicked for time.

* Charles's first meeting with Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter has been nicked for time.

Top Scenes
* Colonel Potter sharing a cigar with Radar, while Radar worries about them stunting his growth, and them being habit forming, though Colonel Potter reassures him "I've been smoking five cigars a day for 45 years, and never got the habit!"

* Charles and his Colonel, Colonel Baldwin playing Cribbage in their spacious Tokyo General officer where Baldwin receives the call from Radar for a surgeon, which he happily volunteers Charles for to avoid paying Charles his dues.

* Charles's miserable jeep ride to the 4077th when the mortar attack begins and bombs the jeep, with the driver telling Charles he can get to the 4077th from by A.T. (alternate transportation).

* Charles finally arrive at the 4077th in the back of an ox-drawn wagon.

* Charles introducing himself to Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter, and proving himself to be a snob.

Top Lines
Potter: (Smoking cigar) Nothin' like a good cigar on a bright, clear morning!
Radar: Or cream-of-wheat...

Potter: Where the h e l l is Burns?
Hawkeye: If we're lucky, he deserted!

Baldwin: For the next 48 hours you belong to a M*A*S*H unit, it's short a man.
Charles M*A*S*H? One of those traveling medicine shows, isn't it?
Baldwin: That's right. Grab the next flight out of Seoul, and get to Colonel Potter at the 4077th.
Charles: Why send your best doctor into a warzone?
Baldwin: Relax, it's just like two days here... except for the artillery... and the snakes...

Radar: We gotta new surgeon on the way, a Major Charles Emerson Winchester...
Potter: I knew a Winchester...
B.J.: I knew an Emerson...
Radar: And I got an Uncle Charles!
Hawkeye: Well, at least we won't be working with a complete stranger.

Patient: Doc, I don't want to go back up there!
B.J.: Can't says I blame ya... would you like to talk to Father Mulcahy?
Patient: (Sighs) Alright, but I'm an atheist.
B.J.: (Perks up) Really?
Patient: Swear to God!
B.J.: :rolleyes:

Charles: (Observes the 4077th) Charming place... an inflamed boil on the buttox of the world... what is that odor?
Radar: Uh, north wind cesspool, east wind latrine.
Charles: The wind is from the south.
Radar: Oh, that's the kitchen.

Hawkeye: Major Winchester, sir, may I ask a question?
Charles: You may.
Hawkeye: Can I stop by sometime for a cup of ego?

Margaret: (On Charles's performance in O.R.) Wasn't that wonderful? Such marvelous technique.
Charles: The whole family has gifted hands, mother was a concert pianist.
Hawkeye: My dad could get the olive out of the bottom of the jar with one finger.
B.J.: And leave the peminto behind.
Hawkeye: Oh yeah!

B.J.: (After learning Frank is being transfered) They can't do that to us, there was so much more we wanted to say to the fink! You realize this now reduces the enemy to just North Korea?

Overall
Opinion: Great start to my favorite season!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Wellp, I hope you all enjoy my new and improved reviews!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Season Six

Charles proves himself to be quite a match for the 4077th.

FADE OUT, FADE IN -- PART 2

Still shots (See why it's nice to be able to post images in our posts?)​

Episode Information
Episode Number: 124 (6X02)
Original Airdate: September 20, 1977
Production Code: Y102
Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Director: Hy Averback

The Plot
With Frank Burns being transfered, Hawkeye and B.J. have both the honor and the unpleasure of having to pack up his things for him to be sent to him, when Margaret bursts in for something of her's (a photo of her in a bikini), when Hawkeye and B.J. finally get her to share why she cut her honeymoon short; she tells them of how she and Donald Penobscott had been having a great time until they attended a party where he stops talking, stops smiling, stops everything, Hawkeye and B.J. seem to think that he couldn't take the pressure of competing with her past. "Captain Schaffer" orders a trial with Colonel Potter for later in the afternoon to get Corporal Klinger's Section 8, but Colonel Potter has better things to do, like getting a permament replacement for Frank, and he feels Charles would be perfect, much to his outrage. Later, when Schaffer's trial begins, it turns out he isn't even a Captain, and he isn't even a lawyer, apparently he's another "loony" like Klinger, and has been bucking for a Section 8 longer than he has, and has come up with quite a few other schemes like impersonating doctors, bombaderes, paratroopers, M.P.s, and even a Chaplain, and is placed under arrest. All this happens, meanwhile Hawkeye and B.J. receive one last phone call from Frank when they learn that not only has the Army dropped all charges against, but have transfered him back home to a veteran's hospital, and have promoted to Lieuntenant Colonel. Shortly after Charles has been established in the Swamp, being forced to bunk with Hawkeye and B.J., Charles prepares himself for his first long session in the O.R. of the 4077th where he finds himself having trouble adjusting to "short cuts" and "meatball surgery", which really bruises his ego, though with his expertise, and intelligence, he also proves himself to be a challenging victim for Hawkeye and B.J.'s "torture" as oposed to Frank.

M*O*R*S*E*L*S
* This episode was originally broadcasted as a special hour-long season premiere, a new little tradition the series would do for Seasons Four, Five, Six, and Ten. They all, however, were ultimately split into two-parter half-hour episodes in syndication.

* Loretta Swit seems to have gotten another little facelift.

* For some strange reason all of Igor's dialogue is dubbed by a completely different person.

* When Charles was at Tokyo General, he was Chief of Thorasic Surgery (chest surgeon).

* Charles's passion for classic music is share by his portrayer, David Ogden Stiers, who has conducted several classical orchestras post-M*A*S*H.

* GOOF: Radar's bunk is made up backwards, as well as for some reason.

"Deleted" Scenes
* The opening sequence where Hawkeye and B.J. pack Frank's stuff while Margaret shares her troubles with them has been nicked for time.

* The scene in Post-Op where Hawkeye checks up on Dr. Berman, while Father Mulcahy councels the atheist patient has been nicked for time (cutting out mostly Klinger walking in offering patients fake ice cream).

* The scene where Charles enjoys a drink before he leaves has been nicked for time (cutting out mostly him having Igor serve with whatever it is they got that's their best).

* The Swamp being prepared for Charles has been butchered for time.

* The O.R. scene has been nicked for time.

Top Scenes
* Hawkeye and B.J. showing Margaret they're truly concerned about her well-being and want her to confide in them.

* Colonel Potter trying to get Charles assigned to the 4077th permanently, while ordering Radar to bring him a Snickers bar.

* Father Mulcahy counceling the atheist patient.

* Colonel Potter breaking the "good news" to Charles about his being assigned to the 4077th permanently.

* Hawkeye and B.J.'s final phone call with Frank, where Hawkeye tosses the phone out the door, followed by Charles bursting in demanding Radar to place a call to Tokyo Genereal.

* Charles hiring an old Korean lady to clean his quarter of the Swamp for a dollar a day.

* Charles sulking in the scrubroom while Hawkeye, B.J., and Colonel Potter try to console him.

* The closing sequence where the fake snake Hawkeye thought he had slipped under Charles's covers is discovered under Hawkeye's covers while Charles listens to his record player.

Top Lines
Potter: Where's Winchester?
Radar: He's getting ready to leave, sir.
Potter: I wanna talk to him. Pronto. And bring me back a Snickers bar.
Radar: With nuts?
Potter: No!
Radar: Milky Way.
Potter: D a m n partial!

Patient: I killed three people. I saw their eyes... Father, I just don't want to kill anymore.

Charles: Pierce?
Hakweye: Chuck?
Charles: :rolleyes:
Hawkeye: If you're leaving, what's in a name?

Potter: You're staying because I need you!
Charles: And if I refuse? !
Potter: You'll be making gravel at Lebenworth, comprende?
Charles: Comprendo.
Potter: GOOD! Well, Major Winchester, I can't tell you how happy I am to have you join us!

Charles: Corporal, get me Tokyo General Hospital.
Radar: On the phone?
Charles: No, open the window and yell!

Charles: You can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarsorate me with two moronic cellmates, you can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester, my voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetted and festering sewer!

Potter: Would you rather have Burns?
Hawkeye: He was more fun to be cruel to!

Hawkeye: Beej, have you no respect for classical music?
B.J.: Are you kidding? I've got the "William Tell Overture"... by Spike Jones!

Overall
Opinion: Wonderful conclusion to Charles's introduction.

THE END