Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Actually, lol, I get criticized because I do enjoy South Park. And I actually hated it originally until I watched a couple of episodes by accident. For the most part I don't like swearing humor because it's done with no thought or real wit. But SP knows how to use it to actually make it shocking and funny. But more than that, they do address important social topics that literally no one else is touching, in an intelligent manner.

So you know, I think the question of what's quality and what isn't, and what's objectionable and what isn't, is a very complicated issue. :wink:
Well, shocking just isn't my cup of tea I guess (I even hate horror movies with a passion). Which is not to say I don't keep up with the news but...I am easily depressed by it, and to me I like shows that take me away from the news for the most part...If it is something that touches me on some level I listen and talk about it with my circle of friends, but I could care less about the media reaction..
But like I said, I seem to be far less jaded/hip/adult/up to date than most my friends...And I like it that way :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
How true that is, I get depressed by the news too. You really need to take it in moderation, lol. It really depends upon my mood at the time. Sometimes I want to hear about social justice issues on the news. But then other times, it all just gets me angry and upset and I can't watch.

I think what's important to remember is, just because a person seems to be a certain "type," doesn't mean they only like the shows or entertainment that seem to belong to that type. People often like shows that seems the complete antithesis of their personality, because they saw something special in it. It's like the essence of diversity, that you can branch out and appreciate different things and not go by society's rules. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thing is, some people may dislike Sesame Street because they think it's too childish, when it's really not that simple. In the same way, South Park isn't as horrible as it initially appears. The point is, we shouldn't judge too quickly based on appearance, general audience, or popularity (which I do all the time, believe me, lol). Of course, it's perfectly OK if people don't like something, it's all our own choice. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Thing is, some people may dislike Sesame Street because they think it's too childish, when it's really not that simple. In the same way, South Park isn't as horrible as it initially appears. The point is, we shouldn't judge too quickly based on appearance, general audience, or popularity (which I do all the time, believe me, lol). Of course, it's perfectly OK if people don't like something, it's all our own choice. :smile:
I've watched it and many of those 'adult' cartoons before and just don't like them...So it's not a matter if never watching it.
I'm just very simple I guess, most of my favorite shows are ones that many people think you 'grow out' of rather than new ones :zany: .

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Also, just name me some stars that have worked with more famous people than the Sesame Street cast or the Muppets? There's no need to go to TMZ to get the dirt on celebrities when you can watch them sing a song about dirt with Oscar the Grouch! :grouchy: :insatiable:
Hahaha! Great point. The only show I could think of that might have more celebs visiting would be The Simpsons (I think they were in the Guinness book for it).

Everyone is bashing lowbrow TV right now, and I'd like to stick up for it for a second.

First I wanna say, yeah, it's really sad, but people sign themselves up for this kind of stuff. It's not really exploitation, it's people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. The only people who lose is the TV audience because there is nothing better on. And I and 100% against shows like The Swan and Extreme Makeover where they change people's image... THAT is exploiting people with low self-esteem and making changes that can't be reserved. It's just sick.

But Survivor? Survivor actually takes some sort of skill. Yeah, you do get creepers on there and it is seeing people at their worst, so it's full of inappropriate behaviour and extremes. But these people fully knew what they were getting into, and at the end, it's all a GAME, which is much different that something like The Biggest Loser, which is about your actual life.

As for lowbrow (and I spelling that right?) stuff like Grey's Anatomy and South Park and Family Guy, or whatever, it all depends on the person. I LOVE the Muppets, and Harry Potter, and a bunch of other stuff that could be descibed as family/wholesome entertainment, but I love Grey's and I LOVE Family Guy! I don't approve of the bed-hopping and breaking up of marriages in Grey's (It was better before Issy and George hooked up, I don't like that storyline at all), and Family Guy sometimes crosses the line of what is appropriate and what isn't. But it's much different than reality tv show stuff, and I think pushing the line is quite necessary sometimes, because it reminds everyone else where they stand.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've watched it and many of those 'adult' cartoons before and just don't like them...So it's not a matter if never watching it.
I'm just very simple I guess, most of my favorite shows are ones that many people think you 'grow out' of rather than new ones :zany: .
Oh yeah, it's OK if you don't like it. And I watch a lot of shows that you're supposed to "out grow" too. :smile:

I'm just saying there is also the tendancy to dislike anything that happens to be hip and popular at the moment. I do that a lot, but then I realize there are some good shows I'm missing out on.

I'm just saying that in the same way we shouldn't judge shows just because they seem too "kiddie", we also shouldn't judge shows just because they seem too "hip." :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm just saying there is also the tendancy to dislike anything that happens to be hip and popular at the moment. I do that a lot, but then I realize there are some good shows I'm missing out on.

I'm just saying that in the same way we shouldn't judge shows just because they seem too "kiddie", we also shouldn't judge shows just because they seem too "hip." :smile:
Thank you! I can't stand it when people do that! Maybe it makes you feel more special when you like something that nobody knows about, but good luck trying to have a conversation about it with someone. :rolleyes: Some things are popular because they're GOOD.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Thank you! I can't stand it when people do that! Maybe it makes you feel more special when you like something that nobody knows about, but good luck trying to have a conversation about it with someone. :rolleyes: Some things are popular because they're GOOD.
But good is all a matter of taste so it could just be that the person doesn't like it and isn't just trying to seem like a rebel :coy:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, but we were talking about "the tendancy to dislike anything that happens to be hip".