Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

Handy Andy

Reaction score
I think I'd like the idea of Disney owning the Muppets alot better if they would actually DO SOMETHING with the franchise.

But, in true Disney fashion, it would more than likely be GREAT right out of the box, followed by a long series a poorly produced crapola that goes straight to DVD.

So, no, I probably don't like the fact that they own them.

Muppets 3D is cool, though. I think, however, that if they took it, and expanded Sesame Place (the park) and added a Muppet themed park, it would do just as well.......

-James

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So far, I'm okay with Disney owning the Muppets. I mean, obviously Jim thought it was a good idea at one point. Like many of you though, I just HATE that they're not all under the same roof. It's so sad. Jim ultimately did as he wanted and left the world a better place when he left from whence he came, but how devestating a loss it was that all has gone so... kooky. Those in power are doing a job well done and I commend them highly and graciously for fighting so hard and keeping the Muppets Legacy alive and well, but d*** if the loss of such an amazing mind didn't seriously hurt the company.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I'd wait until 2007 when Disney is on their own with the franchise. Right now The Jim Henson company is providing strategic and creative advice and guideance, while developing new productions and products. In 2007 the Disney/Henson deal states that Henson steps back compleatly from the Muppets. It's at this point that we'll see if Disney is able to handle them. Right now Henson is giving a lot of help and support in keeping the Muppet the same and alive. Let's hope that Disney can do the same when on their own.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
What do you mean "on their own?" Henson is like completely abandoning the Muppets to Disney? I'm not sure I understand, can you elaborate?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Handy Andy, if you think about what you said and then think about all the recent appearances The Muppets have had on TV, they've been in the spotlight a LOT more lately since Disney bought 'em than they were before. They've hosted parade shows, did the red carpet interviews at some award show, they're showing up on all the news programs and as guests on talk shows, SNL, and more. Next year, we get Muppets Wizard of Oz, and I know we'll be seeing a LOT more. Heck, Disney's cashing in on them with something we all wanted: Season Sets DVDs of The Muppet Show! So, for now, I'm glad to see Disney own the Muppets. Also, Disney cant' do anything with Sesame Place: They don't own them. The Sesame Street Characters were sold outright to Children's Television Workshop, now Sesame Workshop, while The Muppets were under control of EM.TV.

"On their own," though, is after the 7 (?) year agreement between Diz and Henson that the JHC will stay on board as advisors on how to use the Muppets, and then Disney takes full control.

So, here's who owns what:
Sesame Workshop/Sesame Street characters
Jim Henson Company/Fraggle Rock and non-Muppet puppets
Disney,Muppets Holding Company, LLC/The Muppets/Bear In the Big Blue House

McFraggle

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Handy Andy, if you think about what you said and then think about all the recent appearances The Muppets have had on TV, they've been in the spotlight a LOT more lately since Disney bought 'em than they were before. They've hosted parade shows, did the red carpet interviews at some award show, they're showing up on all the news programs and as guests on talk shows, SNL, and more. Next year, we get Muppets Wizard of Oz, and I know we'll be seeing a LOT more. Heck, Disney's cashing in on them with something we all wanted: Season Sets DVDs of The Muppet Show! So, for now, I'm glad to see Disney own the Muppets.
I agree Kevin. :smile:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
im with andy here, lets be honest look at the material disney has donr on thier own(not the pixar stuff, because they only produced it, with out disney pixar still ROCKS)

they produce lots of shows and movies that are worth the time to watch, from the so called afternoon cartoons (like KIM POSSIBLE)to movies like(HOME ON THE RANGE), the current structure of thier brand is such that anything even vaquele interesting or original wont be seen, they just want to produce lots of shows that simply dont push the boundries, safe is the only way disney knows how to play any more.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Handy Andy said:
I think I'd like the idea of Disney owning the Muppets alot better if they would actually DO SOMETHING with the franchise.
You mean an upcoming TV movie isn't something? It may not be as much as we all want, but it is a heck of a lot more than they've done recently with, say, The Fox and the Hound.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
somethingofafan said:
You mean an upcoming TV movie isn't something? It may not be as much as we all want, but it is a heck of a lot more than they've done recently with, say, The Fox and the Hound.
a half baked tv movie that was already in development before the disney buy out really doesnt count as somthing.

besides before that you had that other tv movie