Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
beaker said:
I realize and respect that you are a devout Disney fan...but it would be the same if JHC bought Mickey and Donald, and the Disney catalog...but not Disney.
A lot of us were expecting JHC to be beought up, not the very thing that makes them the JHC. My grievences would be slightly lessoned had they bought the Fraggle Rock rights...however, maybe HIT will be able to go farther with them...heck, maybe JHC can focus on bringing back FR since that's all they got left.
Well thx for the r.e.s.p.e.c.t :sing: :stick_out_tongue: but really.... i understand where ur coming from tho! :wink:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Like I've said before, Disney's Muppets inherently refers to something new, different and branded whereas Jim Henson's Muppets refers to a fifty year character legacy. Which you prefer is a matter of your perspective.

Obviously I'm in the Jim Henson's Muppets camp because of tradition and the love that Jim, Jane, Jerry (Juhl), Frank, Jerry (Nelson) and Don Sahlin put into them from the beginning. With the name Disney's Muppets, you lose much of that tradition and heritage.

Having said that though, I'm sure Disney has info and stats on whether or not Disney's name will result in more sales. There are some parents that will buy and go see anything that has Disney's name on it. Sadly, they let the Disney name be the filter for their kids instead of making viewing decisions for themselves.
I completely agree with your points Phil.

Luke

Reaction score
Disneys Muppets said:
Besides its up to Disney what the logo will say.
Actually it was probably negotiated with the Henson's at the time of the sale. You don't get big deals like that without lots of conditions.

I don't see them ever being called Disney's Muppets. I think legally it could be argued that people would be mislead into thinking Disney were the creators when they aren't. I get Phillip's point about having the Disney name in there somewhere for sales but tend to think they wouldn't go for something quite as direct, maybe a variation on it.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Regarding a post on the first page, Walt Disney is more of a creative genius than Jim Henson, as much as I loooooooove Henson. Both Disney and Henson are the two most creative geniuses in family entertainment. However, in terms of what each one accomplished and the principles/ideals set forth, Walt is better. But that's only IMO.

And that's also beside the point here. Today's Disney has strayed so much from the ideals, dreams, principles and hopes set forth by Walt when he founded the company that it's ridiculous and exasperating.

I "don't" want to see "Disney's Muppets." I "don't" want to see Kermit suffer the fate of what was once an American icon named Mickey Mouse. I "don't" want to see obviously cheap sequels to any of the films. And I hope to God that I "don't" look at Kermit one day, only to shake my head.

goldenarrow05

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
Regarding a post on the first page, Walt Disney is more of a creative genius than Jim Henson, as much as I loooooooove Henson. Both Disney and Henson are the two most creative geniuses in family entertainment. However, in terms of what each one accomplished and the principles/ideals set forth, Walt is better. But that's only IMO.
I am in complete disagreement here. Jim Henson was always about making QUALITY programming. Jim didnt care about all the extra stuff like amusement parks. There was no need for Henson to open Muppetworld or Muppetland because he accomplished what he wanted with each show he did. I dont think Jim saw the Muppets as just another way to make money. The Muppets were his passion, his creation. To me there is no such thing as the Walt Disney legacy anymore because the only thing that Walt Disney's creations have become is another way to put another paycheck in someone's pocket. I hate to think that the fate of the Muppets will be the same. :cry:

As for dubbing the name "Disney's Muppets" as "Gold".... I think its an insult to Jim Henson himself and frankly, i couldnt think of a more offensive name. :grouchy:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Disney also made quality programming. Walt created Disneyland out of pure love. He angered Roy by over-spending on what Roy saw as unnecessary things while Walt saw them as luxury items to enhance the guest experience. Walt walked through the park everyday; helping out as much as he could; providing Imagineers, etc whatever they needed to create the best family entertainment possible.

If Walt cared a lot about money, he didn't ever show it. Creating the best family entertainment possible through parks, television and film ... giving the public what they want and perhaps even more...

Walt Disney was, and still is, a creative genius. Today's Disney has strayed from what it once was and what it was always meant to be, but back then, and through the mid-'90s, Disney was all about "magic," "dreams," "fantasy," and top-quality family entertainment.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Both Walt & Jim where GREAT lets just leave it at that and get back to the subjet! :frown: