Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As sexy as I think she is, I HOPE this is a rumor. I can see the 2 writers shoot it down as stunt casting. They said they didn't want ANY of that in this film, and hinted at Charles Grodin, and their friends. And I think those people would work beautifully there.

And if Angy is such a fan, how come she not be on Sesame Street, huh? SS could go for stunt celebrities like that to boost their awareness, but I doubt a Muppet film would work with her in it.

Maybe a cameo, but that's as much of her as I want to see with the muppets.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Huh. Now that is a VERY interesting deveolpment, thanks for posting it uppity. I can't decide how I feel about it just yet. While I think it's great to have a big name to relaunch the Muppets, the fact that they used the term starring kinda scares me. :smirk: I, like Drtooth, think that a cameo would be good for her, but starring in it? Didn't Segel say he wanted to get away from that and let the Muppets be the stars? *shrug* It'll be interesting to see how this develops. For one thing, it's sure to be a big news story in the entertainment world!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As sexy as I think she is, I HOPE this is a rumor. I can see the 2 writers shoot it down as stunt casting. They said they didn't want ANY of that in this film, and hinted at Charles Grodin, and their friends. And I think those people would work beautifully there.

And if Angy is such a fan, how come she not be on Sesame Street, huh? SS could go for stunt celebrities like that to boost their awareness, but I doubt a Muppet film would work with her in it.

Maybe a cameo, but that's as much of her as I want to see with the muppets.
:flirt:I'm excited and Jolie's cameo would definitely fall in line with [not just the Muppet Show, but] The Muppet Movie's line-up of stars. Some were current others were not. She's a great movie star and not a bad actress in the least. I think fans should be trilled! I'd like to see the film jam-packed with cameos like the old days.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I don't understand the trepidation people are having with her casting? I actually breathed a sigh of relief they didn't pick Miley Cyrus or Ashlee Simpson or etc.

We LOVE Angelina! She's fabooo... and I can see her working well with all the Muppets excluding Miss Piggy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:flirt:I'm excited and Jolie's cameo would definitely fall in line with [not just the Muppet Show, but] The Muppet Movie's line-up of stars. Some were current others were not. She's a great movie star and not a bad actress in the least. I think fans should be trilled! I'd like to see the film jam-packed with cameos like the old days.
It's not a bad idea, I just don't think it's a right tone for this film. Having her as a cameo wouldn't be too bad, but I could see things going really wrong, really fast if it isn't done right.

As long as it's tasteful and in the interrest of the 2 writers of this script, I'm all for it. But if it's stunt casting, I just don't see this being true at all.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Jolie has way more safistication then lets say Kelly Osbourne? I mean really. She does! A name like that to any movie can make more money ala more muppet movies.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
uppitymuppity said:
I don't understand the trepidation people are having with her casting? I actually breathed a sigh of relief they didn't pick Miley Cyrus or Ashlee Simpson or etc.
Haha! I completely agree with you there, uppity! :zany:

But I must disagree with you on the fact that I think a Jolie/Piggy death match would be one of the funniest things that could happen. :stick_out_tongue:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Haha! I completely agree with you there, uppity! :zany:

But I must disagree with you on the fact that I think a Jolie/Piggy death match would be one of the funniest things that could happen. :stick_out_tongue:
I was joking when I said they wouldn't work well together as in I can totally see them hating each other and fighting over Kermit & etc... And YES it would be one of the funniest things!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea, I just don't think it's a right tone for this film. Having her as a cameo wouldn't be too bad, but I could see things going really wrong, really fast if it isn't done right.

As long as it's tasteful and in the interrest of the 2 writers of this script, I'm all for it. But if it's stunt casting, I just don't see this being true at all.
:search: The catch phrase "stunt casting" was made trendy when Neil Patrick Harris employed it to discourage sticking once popular media creation Britney Spears (not really an actor) on his and Segel's CBS show "How I Met Your Mother" for sweeps ratings. To associate that sort of terminology with Academy Award winning actor and critically acclaimed movie star like Jolie is preposterous.

:cool: I use The Muppet Movie as a guide map. It included classic talents like Edgar Bergen, Milton Berle, Bob Hope and Orson Welles, current 70s icons like Mel Brooks, Dom DeLuise, Madeline Kahn, Carol Kane, Cloris Leachman and Telly Savalas, along with the very popular movie stars Steve Martin and Richard Pryor among other stars of varying degrees.

I think some folk around here are over-thinking things. It's a fan forum. We do that. But an Angelina Jolie cameo is - a very good thing. The Muppets have always been about cameos and stars. Segel mentioned his intention was to go back to the trilogy and the show and that appears to be exactly what he's doing. Maybe some fans have other ideas, but the writer/director of this project has stayed true to his mission statement thus far - and with passion!

:flirt: I hope we get a lot of movie star cameos. I also hope they stay merely cameos (and I think they will).

Status
Not open for further replies.