1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Disability Corner

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Boober_Gorg, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I have a question:For a couple years now, I've had a serious tendency to develop false memories and a sense of deja vu towards things that never even happened.

Sometimes my mind will randomly come up with some thought and will tell me again and again that the thing actually DID happen. Then minutes later I'll figure out that the memory in question was just fake.

The reason I worry about this is because sometimes false memories can really destroy someone mentally and emotionally. People have reported having memories of things like getting molested by someone they care about who would never do something like that in the first place, getting stabbed in the middle of the street, or other terrible scenarios like that.

False memories are also the cause of most "alien abduction" stories according to what I've heard. Most people who claim to have been abducted by aliens, got visited by ghosts, saw Bigfoot or Nessie or Slender-Man, etc. have something called false memory disorder.

Do you think that something like that could possibly be developing in me? The false memories I have are nothing too major and are just brief things like remembering my dog Buster jumping in my lap a couple hours ago when in reality I never even saw the dog all day long. While it's all tame stuff now I fear that it could turn into more concerning false memories involving stuff like alien abduction, getting betrayed by a friend who in reality would never do that to me, getting attacked by an animal or person, etc.

RedPiggy likes this.
  2. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dwell on it too much, you'll be doing it again tomorrow anyway.

...or will you? :shifty:

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  3. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

I feel like you are confusing false memories with imagination and day dreaming.

RedPiggy and Flaky Pudding like this.
  4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

if you are truly worried, PLEASE see a doctor and get a professional's opinion, and not ask random people on the internet who may or may not give you bad advice.

5. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I have really bad news:I was recently diagnosed with severe depression.

RedPiggy likes this.
  6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Sorry. :(

7. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

You’re not alone, man. Got that myself.

8. Any Del

Any Del Well-Known Member

Same here.

9. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Honestly, as someone who was also diagnosed with depression, I think there are far too many diagnoses for depression. I think the depression comes from the lack of human connection and an ever isolating age of technology replacing human contact.

10. LittleJerry92

In my case, it also comes from an experience of being everyone's butt monkey in the public school days before transferring to a learning-disabled school.

RedPiggy likes this.
  11. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Butt monkey, huh? Is that a clinical term?

12. LittleJerry92

Heh, I wish.

No, but in seriousness, it has contributed to some PTSD which in return has brought in depression. I think some of it also comes in from having to hold in rage when my buttons are pushed because you don’t want to see me angry.

Any Del and RedPiggy like this.
  13. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I have moderate asthma. It has made working a horrible experience sometimes, but now I'm an agency nurse and can do my own schedule instead of feeling trapped in a particular rut I might not be able to do. I also have chronic depression and anxiety with suicidal ideation, which gets worse during the winter months, though I've learned that like Avenue Q is only "for now" and if I can just "weather" it, I'll be okay in a month or so. Been feeling much better lately. I struggle with weight problems. I am trying to eat lower calorie foods and burning more calories, but I go to the bathroom and gain three pounds, LOL. My joints are killing me but I've been taking some senior multivitamins (I"m only 41) with lutein in it and it's been helping rebuild my joints, so that's good.

14. LittleJerry92

In fact, i’ll let this video explain what I put up with.

15. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

That sucks; all the best. Although it does make me wonder if you realized this before the doctor came out with it.

16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

That's actually a really ignorant thing to say and a slap in the face to people who struggle with depression. Now some people say they have depression but have never been officially diagnosed. Those people I'm skeptical about. But you can't just dismiss all depression as being self inflicted. There are different kinds of depression. Some cannot help their depression because of a neurological imbalance. Some its more environmental. Being in a bad family situation, life hurling everything bad at you.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  17. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

I literally said I was diagnosed with depression and was specifically stating there was an abundance of diagnoses. I didn't say ALL diagnoses were false or that ANY were self inflicted.

However, the amount of people that are diagnosed with depression, ADHD, autism, etc has greatly increased. Its at a point where most people on social media state they are clinically depressed or have anxiety. You can't tell me that in the last 10 to 20 years all of a sudden tons of people are legitimately chemically imbalanced.

Again. Didn't say ALL, but the increase in diagnoses is suspect and I think it is in part due to people not being in a society that values true human connection while at the same time glorifying victimhood. More and more kids are being raised to not play outside and sit in front of a screen. Then we wonder why they grow updepressed and unable to deal with society.

I was diagnosed with severe social anxiety and depression. I tried to medicate for awhile and it made me a little more even, but I still didnt know how to deal with situations. Then I chose to ditch the meds and deal with it. I put myself in uncomfortable situations. I took a job that made me interact with people daily. Eventually, I learned how to cope to the point where I was able to give public speeches. Sure, I relapse now and then, but I don't define myself by my depression. I live with it, I don't struggle with it.

Any Del likes this.
  18. LittleJerry92

Yeah I personally just live with it myself. I have had my bad days with it though, for sure.

My suicidal thoughts last month got absolutely ridiculous. I literally had thoughts of wanting to jump off a building or put a gun to my head.

Blue Frackle and Any Del like this.
  19. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Back when I was in school, I used to have to take two pills for my attention span and they would help me focus along with paying attention.

Then a couple years back, they were cut down to just one until getting the okay to stop.

20. Any Del

Any Del Well-Known Member

I tend to stutter a lot. And I have social anxiety. Mainly due to being thrown under the bus by numerous of people and it makes me not trust anyone.