Disability Corner

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Anything that could cause a person to not be able to/find it difficult to have a normal job without accommodations, take care of themselves, socially interract with others, or live a healthy lifestyle.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Then it comes down to the individuals and how much this belief impacts them. Not so very different from religion, actually.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Really bad news...…...

My very sick neighbor who I mentioned earlier on in this thread is getting even worse. He now has issues with his liver on top of the heart, respiratory, and back aching problems he already had as well as diabetes. That's an awful combination of symptoms and I'm both saddened/terrified for him and his loving wife who has been depressed for the past couple of days scared out of her mind that her husband/best friend will die soon.

That man is by far the nicest guy I've ever known in my entire life. He'll stop at nothing to keep his neighbors happy and healthy no matter what. He's the type of person who's neighborly love doesn't extend to just friends and family but even complete strangers. Everyone in town loves him and he has about the most wonderful reputation a guy can have in such a small town. It's gotten to the point where if someone says they don't like him, I honestly feel like I might not want to hang out with that person again. He's just that good of a guy.

I can't help but worry that if we lose that wonderful Samaritan of a man, our neighborhood will never be the same again. He's the wise person we go to for advice, the shoulder to cry on when we feel down, the helping hand who always comes along during times of need, and the bright and funny person who never fails to make us laugh at times when we need it most. Considering my family has been close friends with him since I was a child, I can't even begin to imagine what life without him would be like. When that fateful day that he eventually dies does come, I'll forever feel like there is a permanent hole in my heart that can't be repaired.

Last edited:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
fictionkin is going down a huge rabbit hole that is something you generally want to avoid.

Now, there are mental illness where people create alternate personas as a coping mechanism, but typically when that persona takes over, the person has no memory of it.

There is also a spiritual believe that you are kin with something, and this really is more of a spiritual thing for some cultures.

Where it gets dicey is when you have people claiming they really are said fictional characters and are convinced that they are alternate reality versions of said characters. Is it a mental illness? maybe. hard to say. But i have had very very very negative experiences with people who claim to be fictional characters.

I think tumblr's mentality that mental illness is cute and quirky and something you should be proud of has caused A LOT of people to confuse 'I like this character' with "I really am this character"

I could go on and on and on about my absolutely horrible experiences with people who are fictionkin but...yeah.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
fictionkin is going down a huge rabbit hole that is something you generally want to avoid.

Now, there are mental illness where people create alternate personas as a coping mechanism, but typically when that persona takes over, the person has no memory of it.

There is also a spiritual believe that you are kin with something, and this really is more of a spiritual thing for some cultures.

Where it gets dicey is when you have people claiming they really are said fictional characters and are convinced that they are alternate reality versions of said characters. Is it a mental illness? maybe. hard to say. But i have had very very very negative experiences with people who claim to be fictional characters.

I think tumblr's mentality that mental illness is cute and quirky and something you should be proud of has caused A LOT of people to confuse 'I like this character' with "I really am this character"

I could go on and on and on about my absolutely horrible experiences with people who are fictionkin but...yeah.
I find the concept of fictionkin disturbing because the whole idea of believing that you are a fictional character reminds me of The Mad Hatter from Batman. He was just a normal guy until one day he started believing the delusion that he IS The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland and since went crazy and became one of Gotham City's most notorious criminals.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i find it more disrespectful than anything. these people get mad at creators of characters for not 'portraying them correctly'. I've met quite a few who have claimed to be kin with other peoples ocs, after not getting permission OR the creator says they cant do that, but the person essentially just steals the character anyway. Seen that happen A LOT

I've seen people have meltdowns because another rando on the internet DARED to portray or interpret a character a different way than what the fictionkin person believed to be them.

plus quite a few fictionkin people i've interacted with have just been horrible, nasty people in general. now I just...try to avoid them as much as possible

theres also a very small subset of people who believe, like, genuinely believe, that they are celebrities or some famous person. Not even reincarnations of people who have died. Actual, living people.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
My neighbor had to take a trip to the hospital a couple weeks back and still hasn't been able to come home since. This poor man is by far the most severely disabled person I've ever known or heard of. He has diabetes, heart attacks, kidney failure, respiratory issues, and back problems all at the same time. He's such a nice guy who has always been a close friend to my family for over 2 decades so it really breaks my heart to see him suffer like that.
Well....guess what. He died today.

My family and I as well as his wife are very sad and depressed over what happened to that amazing person.

We miss him very much and this is by far the saddest day of my life perhaps ever.

Why is it the saddest? Well, because while I have witnessed the passing of pets, friends, and beloved celebrities I've never actually lost a family member before in my entire life. While this guy wasn't technically family, he was about as close to a family member as a friend can get. He came to all of our Christmas and Thanksgiving festivities that were usually just reserved for members of our family only, he practically helped my parents raise me when I was a child and they had their hands full, and he hung out at our house all the time.

So yeah, this is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to witness.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Well....guess what. He died today.

My family and I as well as his wife are very sad and depressed over what happened to that amazing person.

We miss him very much and this is by far the saddest day of my life perhaps ever.

Why is it the saddest? Well, because while I have witnessed the passing of pets, friends, and beloved celebrities I've never actually lost a family member before in my entire life. While this guy wasn't technically family, he was about as close to a family member as a friend can get. He came to all of our Christmas and Thanksgiving festivities that were usually just reserved for members of our family only, he practically helped my parents raise me when I was a child and they had their hands full, and he hung out at our house all the time.

So yeah, this is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to witness.
Sorry for your loss.