D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

beaker

Reaction score
Good to see the Muppets given the all-out treatment over the weekend!

Not much of the news blew me away however, as much as the presentation looked cool...and a meet and greet with actual muppets/performers=the win. Wish I could have made it as planned(tho I might have been bored the rest of the convention, as other than Pixar and NBX Im not much a Disneyana fan per se)

The idea of more Muppetty presence in Disney theme parks rocks(animatronic Electric Mayhem? Woot!) And that they are not just keeping but updating MV3D.

Probably my favorite news was of course Disney FINALLY releasing Muppet merchandise, a void thats been had since 2003.
Again, not much really new was announced that was all too groundshaking, other than the fact Disney FINALLY seems committed fully. And the Muppet thing on the opening day presentation sounds like a good signal. Good to hear the new Muppet film is officially official now. And maybe we'll get word on a new tv show?

Wow, that's a lot of good news. I do hope all of it actually happens. I mean, I never thought we would be 10 years without a Muppet movie (in theaters). I want to see what they can do now.

BUT I must say that the new Gonzo puppet looks weird. It looks more like a fan made puppet than Gonzo. They really need to fix that like....now.
Some of the Muppet replicas look JUST like the posers used in
calendars/posters/ads/you name it(the upcoming Rizzo, Reporter Kermit, etc) Some...uh, dont look like their poser counterparts at all. Though I used to wonder if maybe that was a legal issue, in that they didnt want *exact* Muppet posers being released to the public.

dwmckim

Reaction score
(psst..he's REALLY asking "hey uh by the way, you didn't happen to see a 50 year old curly haired guy under Kermit didja?) <grin>

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
On one hand I can understand that Disney wants the Muppets to look like they did on The Muppet Show, their classic look, but if that's the (odd) case, why don't they do that with Piggy?

Why? Cuz that would be a travesty, that's why! :smile: Ugh, I ask Disney: why do you instruct Puppet Heap to change the Muppets' look so drastically so soon? They've looked a certain way for a while now, you can't just revert them back to their original (and unpolished) look at the drop of a hat! Gonzo and Sam, AIIIEEEEEE! And Fozzie? He looks like the "ugly" square-headed poser used since the 90's. UGH! :confused:

Don't forget the eye-focus issue that some of the Kermit Muppets have, yuck! I like my frog looking happy and focused, not wall-eyed. It's such an easy fix, I just don't get it.

But enough of that, and now onto the happy! I'm loving all the Muppet news! Can hardly wait for Season 4, Halloween special, new movie, park stuff, EVERYTHING!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
  • UPDATE: The Muppet Whatnot Experience: A contest in which the winner gets Muppeteer training with their Whatnot, and the chance to perform with their Whatnot in a YouTube video with the Muppet performers.
*JAW-DROP*

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
I actually like the new Sam. I think he looks a heck of a lot better than the VMMCM puppet did!