Commercial rant time...

Schfifty

Reaction score
I don't know why, but for some reason I've been into this old 80's commercial lately for a product called Miss Lee Press-On Nails...basically these little fingernail decorations you wear. I've found this on a few tapes we have from 1988 from different TV channels like NBC, MTV, USA Network, et al.

How to describe it? Umm, really cheesy and weird. Like, the very first shot of the girl smiling and zooming in ("Lee!") is actually kind of creepy, no joke. Interestingly, our NBC recordings had this late at night, maybe because it was a little too annoying of an ad to air during regular hours?

Any Del

Reaction score
^^^^^
Not gonna lie, some of the women in that commercial were undeniably gorgeous.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not so much a rant, but I have to say, that whole wet teddy bears thing seems like one of the absolutely dumbest commercials I've seen in a looong time.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's pretty ridiculous but it's certainly one you won't forget, which is the point of a commercial at the end of the day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This one bugs me so much:

A lot of people complain about physical forms of discipline like spanking being child abuse, but honestly, this is child abuse - psychological abuse. The girl says she's not hungry, and here's her mother chasing after her trying to force feed her into eating . . . like *** b!+ch! If your kid's not hungry, then don't force her to eat something, you're creating a traumatic experience that will probably lead to eating disorders because you forced her to eat when she wasn't hungry - and that's just longterm damage, think of the damage that could be done in the present moment: force-feeding her could upset her stomach, which could lead to a puking mess all over the place, and that certainly wouldn't be very pretty.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I’m not totally disagreeing. Maybe because times have changed.
My mom still tells me, growing up at the end of the Depression and through WWII,, sometimes food was scarce. You ate what was on your plate, you didn’t dare argue.
I had to deal with that when I was little, sometimes eating stuff I didn’t like. Sometimes I had to force down stewed tomatoes and crap like that.

Kids goes through phases. 50 years ago, mac and cheese existed, but i was not the staple it is today. There are some kids that live only on mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. Hopefully they’ll expand their palette in time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My parents went both ways. Coming from a poor farm family, my dad was definitely in the camp of eat what's in front of you and clean up your plate. My mom, on the other hand, was in the camp of only eat until you feel full, because if you eat more than that, you'll feel sick; she was also in the camp of at least giving new foods a try, and if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it.

On the other hand, both of my parents were definitely in the same camp when it came to snacks and such: no snacking before mealtime lest you spoil your appetite.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I DESPISE THAT NEW APPLEBEE'S COMMERCIAL They've been playing on CNN, with that lame country music, the dances are pretty bad too, the commercial is about DATE NIGHT AT APPLEBEE'S. ugh. another commercial I hate is that Diluth Underwear commercial where the deep guy sings Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, and it's just that deep voice gets ear grating to me in only 4 seconds.

Duluth Trading TV Commercial: Buck Naked Underwear - YouTube

Get all “Fancy Like” - YouTube