Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

wiley207

Reaction score
SesameWorkshop has uploaded the "Miami Mice" segment with the Count as a separate video!
But it's stretched into widescreen.

BTW, lately I've noticed a pattern their YouTube channel follows. A few new clips at random one week, and then at the other week is a newer song segment on Wednesday, a classic/throwback clip on Thursday, and an Elmo-related video on Friday.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
BTW, lately I've noticed a pattern their YouTube channel follows. A few new clips at random one week, and then at the other week is a newer song segment on Wednesday, a classic/throwback clip on Thursday, and an Elmo-related video on Friday.
They seem to be focusing more on creating original videos that fit easier into the YouTubeKids algorithm or whatever.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I mean, they've been doing this for months now. It's more about getting more views than anything, really. Even rare classic stuff has barely reached like 200,000 views, while something directly trying to fit in with "Baby Shark" and their ilk are the things getting a million+ hits.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
No, I get the views have a big play in it. But I also feel like because of the fact that COPPA came in where we can’t go to their channel to comment and praise on their uploads of the classic clips, it only further downgrades the views because now no one is going to even bother going to their channel to see a new classic clip uploaded because they can’t comment on it, unless you’re pretty much a member on here and only go there to post the new classic clip on here.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It’s interesting, for years the Miami Mice with The Count was the rare one, that nobody had an English copy of, and I’m guessing it was in the lowest number of episodes of the three (we’ll wait until Muppet Wiki makes full guides of every season 18 and 19 episode and see what’s in episode 2806 to see how often it was shown; actually, last I checked “what links here” it seemed that the one with Kermit wasn’t really in that many episodes).

and yet this is the only one that Sesame Workshop has officially put online, both in a “collection” last year and on its own now. None of them have been released on video or broadcast in new episodes since either season 23 or 24. What are the odds that the one Sesame Workshop puts online after so many years of not releasing them is the rare one? Though I wonder if Joe Hennes had anything to do with this (not sure if his job at Sesame Workshop would have any impact on online uploads).

I’m also surprised as I wonder if the NASA footage made it hard to clear (which also makes me wonder if this was the Miami Mice segment planned for Best of Sesame Street Spoofs that ended up not being released).

so the YouTube Chanel is losing views just because fans can’t post comments? Are they watching other uploads of the clips? Of course if Sesame Workshop officially uploads it I feel more like watching the official upload than a fan upload (unless the official upload is missing something). Or maybe it’s because new upload of classic clips are segments that aren’t really that rare to us (in the last year a number of rare classic clips were glimpsed in some official online mash-ups, it’d be great if some of those were put online.... in fact recently it seems they have been uploading some of those that previously hadn’t been uploaded officially, though they weren’t rare to us).

it also seems like newer clips have always had the most views. I’ve checked the most viewed videos from time to time, and it’s often something from recent seasons, never really any rare segments making their online debuts (if they were to officially upload, say, scenes from 847, I have a feeling it won’t be the most-viewed video on their official site), and the oldest clips that seem to get the most views are some of the most-released segments like Elmo’s World, C is for Cookie, and Rubber Duckie.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
so the YouTube Chanel is losing views just because fans can’t post comments? Are they watching other uploads of the clips? Of course if Sesame Workshop officially uploads it I feel more like watching the official upload than a fan upload (unless the official upload is missing something). Or maybe it’s because new upload of classic clips are segments that aren’t really that rare to us (in the last year a number of rare classic clips were glimpsed in some official online mash-ups, it’d be great if some of those were put online.... in fact recently it seems they have been uploading some of those that previously hadn’t been uploaded officially, though they weren’t rare to us).
No, low views have been a thing for awhile.

I get why they're going this route, but in practice it makes little sense to me. One of the recent videos is a random original song by Elmo, Abby and the Count. Like, why is producing an entirely new piece more effective posting something from the show, even if it's from the newest episodes? Isn't material from the show target at the same audience?

I understand that Elmo videos & cartoons seem to get the most hits (hence the animated Muppet videos of late), but the most viewed video right now is a random film bit that doesn't involve any Muppets whatsoever. And lest we forget how much "I Love My Hair" blew up. There both is and isn't a science to it, and I dunno, it's just disappointing that their channel started out as a way to officially share older material in a more effective way and now it's just "let's try to be like Simple Songs or whathaveyou." Especially when SS.org has gotten really lame in publishing videos (new and old) as well.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
I would really like to know why people (especially SW themselves), don't take requests on uploads. I'm not asking anyone to upload anything.