Chemical Dependency No More

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
It took alot of guts to say that Vic, but you did it. I"m sure that I speak for everyone here when I say, I'm proud of you.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
...I'm trying to think of something to post, but I'm just... speechless. I've gotta agree with everyone else, and I don't think it can be said enough: that takes some real chutzpah, both to stop and to talk about it. I've ALWAYS looked up to you, but... this just... takes the cake. Congratulations on two months, Vic... and keep it up. You know you've got all of us behind you.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well wow That was wll put and I'm glad your better or getting better I will keep you in my thoughts, and prayers.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I am very proud of you, Dave, not only for overcoming such a difficult hurdle in your life but because you had the courage to share it with others in the hopes that they might be helped.

Please accept my warmest wishes that this new leash on life will fuel your creativity, rejuvenate your life, and enrich your life with your family.

Prayers and hugs!
Ru

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Dave, my friend, I am without a doubt so proud of you not only for your sobriety but for being brave enough to share this story here. I truly hope it will help others who also may be battling addiction. You are and always have been one of the most awesome people I know and your courage is only making you that much more awesome! Congrats on two months and know that I support you always, 100%. Big hugs and three cheers for you!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Dave. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You are an inspiration to me, and a top-guy. If I had an older brother, you'd be my first choice. I know you've been going through a lot of struggles, and I'm so pleased to see you come shining out on the other side.

Massive bear hugs, and prayers for ya Dave buddy.

~Beau

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Congrats, Vic. I've never dealt with that issue specifically (my family has historically been so med-phobic that only the threat of early death will get them to take anything), but I can see how easy it must be to get hooked from professional-pressure, as opposed to peer-pressure. I'm glad you still had the presence of mind to realize you were in trouble and got help.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Wow, you are incredibly brave to admit to that sort of thing, especially in an online environment. I am both glad and proud that you have ovevrcome this obstacle, and I wish you all the best for the future.

Kiki

Reaction score
Dave, can I just say that you are incredibly brave- in so many ways. For overcoming you addiction (and I know it's hard to kick the habit. Not from personal experiences, but I know people..), and also for telling us your inspiring story. I still don't know what to say... you're just so couragous, such a trooper. I wish you all the best (((HUGS)))... you are such an amazing, talented, loving person. :smile: Now, I'm not saying that to earn brownie points, I honestly mean that. :wink: ^_^

Mary Louise

Reaction score
That is a beautifully inspiring story. And you've raised an important point: drugs prescribed by doctors can be just as addictive and dangerous as ones that are illegal. I've noticed how many commercials about medicines tend to talk mostly about the drug's side effects instead of the condition the drug is intended to treat.

For instance, on YouTube, I found a commercial for an antidepressant called Cymbalta. The ad said, "Tell your doctor right away if your depression worsens or if you have unusual changes in mood or behavior, or thoughts of suicide. Antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults."

So you're supposed to take this when you're depressed, and it can make you even sadder and want to kill yourself? What's just as awful is that it makes depression out to be a disease instead of addressing the reason why you're sad, like the loss of a loved one. When I'm feeling down, what I want is the support of friends.

Anyway, I'm so glad you're off the pills. I was on Prozac once, for about a year or so. Not only did it make me feel spacey, it wiped out some of my most precious memories. I do not take such pills anymore, I can tell you. I love to write stories and poetry, and the last thing I want is to have my colorful, creative side dulled into gray mush!