Cartoons from other countries

Xerus

Reaction score
Lately, it seems like today's cartoons that I think are really neat are cartoons from other countries.

Animalia from Australia

Flatmania from France

The Secret Show from England

6teen and Jacob Two-Two from Canada

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Ooh, French cartoons! I love French Cartoons, my fave is "Pablo, Le Petit Renard Rouge", because of the aesthetic/setting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is something I'm gonna get on a rant about. And a two fold rant at that.

We USED to have an animation industry... but seems like all they want to do is make movies and DTV movies, and the heck with any sort of television cartoon. We've had a LOT of cartoons from other countries before then, but they always ran along side the US produced ones. We even used to have co-productions... DIC started out as a Co-production of US, France (as it was a French company) and Japan.... But we just buy cartoons from other countries so we don't have to pay to make new shows... and that's where our animation system has failed... blame the networks for that one.

Part 2: yes, but how come we never get the GOOD stuff? I am a big fan of French and Japanese animation, and lem,me tell you... we NEVER get the real good stuff from either country anymore. I don't even think I've seen any new animes that weren't obvious toy commercials... that somehow never get a toy line (except for that insufferable Bakudan crap)... I'm sorry, but I wanna see the new Yattaman in English legally. I mean we've been getting some choice stuff... Death Note, One Piece (until CN canned it for another movie night), etc. etc. There is loose talk of Gegege No Kitaro's latest show... but so far we've only got that weird live action movie.

And speaking of France... I know there is no real Politically Correct way to get Lucky Luke over here... even in the newer ones, they're pretty racist (Mainly to Asians and Native Americans), even though Canada aired them. And I'm still pretty upset they didn't try to show Asterix and the Vikings in the US outside of one film festival (and it was animated in English with American voice actors... that's a real sting).

So basically, we're not just getting foreign cartoons, but pretty stinky ones. Skunk Fu from Ireland for example. I must admit, the Flash animation they use is beautiful... but the stories and script are terrible, and the voice actors can't really act. We're even getting stuff from Russia... I wouldn't mind, I love animation all over the world, but I also wanna get some work without having to move to a foreign country....

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I watch a LOT of anime (Japanese animation). I also really like The Secret Show from England :smile: I wish I could find more foreign cartoons that aren't anime.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We do get a lot from Canada, BTW... Nelvana has always given us some of their stuff, as well as co-productions with US companies. Nelvana did animate shows like Eek the Cat, as well as Beetlejuice, Dog City, Care Bears (after DIC), Cyberchase, Jacob TwoTwo and countless others over the years.

If I didn't hate cold weather that much, I'd move to Canada to see about getting work there. I love that odd clenching teeth smile sound effect of theirs. They used it quite a lot in Beetlejucie and Eek.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
We do get a lot from Canada, BTW... Nelvana has always given us some of their stuff, as well as co-productions with US companies. Nelvana did animate shows like Eek the Cat, as well as Beetlejuice, Dog City, Care Bears (after DIC), Cyberchase, Jacob TwoTwo and countless others over the years.
*Shudder* I hate Cyberchase. It tries to teach kids mathematics but it is so obvious that people avoid it.
However, In terms of Anime, My favourite is Read or Die, closely followed by Astroboy and then Death Note.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I am not a fan of anime at all. The eyes on some of these characters really give me the shivers so my entire list here is 'anime-less'.

We get a lot of foreign cartoons here, specifically 'Der Sendung Mit der Maus' with the normal sized mouse and the tiny elephant. Very cute stuff.

My husband and I really like to watch 'Wickie', which is Scandanavian, but it has been translated into German as well as French. At least that was what we saw. It's about a little boy Viking who always seems to get his father and his shipmates out of trouble. Whenever he gets an idea, stars shine above his head and he snaps his fingers.

Then there is 'Grisu', the little dragon who wants to be a fireman. Very cute, and I think that is German as well. He lives with his father, Fume, who does not like his career plans at all. But, he is really cute.

'Tim and Struppi' which I believe is French, about a young man and his dog who go and solve mysteries. There are other characters in the stories, but most of them are really stupid, with Tim and his dog being the smartest of the lot.

'Asterix' is another cartoon that is loved over here. My husband likes the cartoons, not the live action movies. They make up a village that is able to divert getting attacked by drinking a juice that makes them very strong...at least I think that's the gist of it. It's been awhile since I watched them.

'Lauras Stern' (Laura's Star), about a little girl who finds an injured star and wraps a bandage around one stem and helps it get back home. Very sweet. :smile:

'Der Kleine Eisbär' (The Little Polar Bear) which I actually saw an English translation of in London last week. This surprised me, but anyway it's a story about Lars, a little polar bear who gets stuck on a piece of ice and leaves the polar regions to go on all sorts of adventures. Eventually, he gets back home and is able to relate to his family and friends all the things that happened to him.

There is also 'Der Kleine Maulwurf' (The Little Mole) which is from Czech Republic, and this is about a little mole who has all sorts of adventures with everyday things like match sticks, and cotton balls.

So I guess those are the ones I like.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Der Kleine Eisbär I have seen. I thought it was cute.
If I am going after a particular studio for foriegn cartoons, gotta be millamages. Their cartoons are always so cute and lively. I remember a cartoon from when I was little about a doll and a bear, and they had adventures, and one of them involved a burning building.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Asterix is my BOY, man! And Lucky Luke... I wish they'd release all the Asterix films in the US, instead of that Cleopatra disk that was made by a bargain basement lost copyright dollar store firm.

It didn't even have chapter skips.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I'm Suprised to see that George Lucas could let 6teen make star wars references.