Bob's Deaf Niece

splitenz

Reaction score
That really DID look like Linda Bove!

I saw that clip before SS, too, and it really did look like Linda Bove reminiscing about SS. The spot was ABOUT Linda, so that contributed to it for me. However, I would be surprised if that was her, because the person did speak so fluently, which would seem surprising for a woman who was born deaf. I looked Linda up at imdb.com, and she is credited with providing the voice to a cartoon in 1998. Hmmm...

Does anyone know for sure? This is really bugging me.

splitenz

Reaction score
Linda Bove

Rosewood had posted this:

Was the person who played Linda actualy deaf?
The reason I ask this is because the other day, as I was watching one of those brief interviews of people / celebrities who's lives have been effected at one point or another by SS, I happened to see a lady (who looked an AWFULL lot like Linda) speaking fluently about how SS had impacted her life. I didn't tune in soon enough to catch the name of who it actually was, but I could swear it was her!

I was responding to the above.

Kristi

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh OK... Few things maybe you're not aware of.
1 Linda in some episodes... Well, there was one where she and Bob were sitting on the stoops and she was sounding out some phonetic sounds. Oscar pops up next to them, and kinda helps her sound out the word "phooey". In later episodes, she was given a fully-fluent internal thinking speech voice.
2 Unfortunately, the MC member known as Rosewood passed away last year. It's OK though, just informing those who might not know.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

splitenz

Reaction score
Oh, Gosh, I had no idea. I hope I didn't upset anyone by responding to an old thread. How very sad that you all had to lose a friend. Please forgive me if I upset anyone by bringing up the past.

I watched SS primarily in the 1970s, and I have no recollection of Linda having an internal "thinking" voice, as you mentioned. That would have been interesting to see. I also do not recall the scene with Bob and Oscar. The old eps I have been able to find (69-77) are all very Linda-lite, unfortunately. I always liked her, and I would love for my daughter to see more Linda scenes. My daughter was speech-delayed due to prematurity and other problems and, when she was about 18 months old, we began teaching her sign language. It was a tremendous help to her and, although she talks extremely well now, she still remembers many signs and asks to use them.

The clip I saw preceeding SS with the woman that looked like Linda did show this person talking fluently, and the resemblance was surprising. Still, I find it hard to believe that it was her. Like Rosewood, I would always catch the clip midway through, missing any caption identifying the speaker. I am just curious to know who this was, as I am guessing that the resemblance to Linda Bove was a coincidence. The interviews I found with her online all reference a sign language interpreter and her signing, so that makes it seem all the more likely that she was not the person speaking so fliuently about the Linda character on SS.

This forum is an incredible place to search out the truth, so I am sure that, someday, someone will have the answer.

Thanks for the reply, Count.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
No, I just think because she is related to Bob, she has at least a 50% chance of making another appearance. Maybe the same can be said for some other characters relitives like Gordan's father, althow it would be nice if Olivia would visit even thow that is highly unlikely. But that was just more my opinion and not fact.
Well Samara already did make a second appearance in one of the 'happy & healthy' openings. That's probably a sign that we might see more of her.

I saw that clip before SS, too, and it really did look like Linda Bove reminiscing about SS. The spot was ABOUT Linda, so that contributed to it for me. However, I would be surprised if that was her, because the person did speak so fluently, which would seem surprising for a woman who was born deaf. I looked Linda up at imdb.com, and she is credited with providing the voice to a cartoon in 1998. Hmmm...
Well, imdb.com isn't always accurate. I'll take a look at that site though and see if I can come to a conclusion on this.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem Splitenz, and welcome to MC. The episodes/segments I mentioned are from the 90's I think.

splitenz

Reaction score
Ah, being in college then, I probably missed a few. :stick_out_tongue:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Count. This is a great forum with some really nice people.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Did the same meself... Swore off my Muppety heritage ties when I was an undergrad student... But that spark was revived when the figure line started back in 2002, when I joined this great place.
Have fun exploring the rest of the site.