Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue: Every Muppet duo has playful undertones to their shtick. Ernie and Bert are a good example of this. How that is interpreted depends upon the viewer. I see them as a couple; others see them as merely best friends. The only problem I ever have with this topic is when a person is offended by either scenario. I hope we finally reach a time when such bigotry seems foreign and absurd to most people. Sesame Street and the Muppets are about celebrating differences. Bert and Ernie are different, but they get along enough to share an apartment. We should all take a cue from them! :frown:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Anyone who interprets that "tending every seed we sow" lyric as evidence of Bert and Ernie being gay (even with Bert's warning to Ernie at the end) is taking things seriously out of context. Whatever affection Ernie was thinking of displaying in front of the audience, it didn't look sexual enough to fuel the rumors. Besides, Bert's behavior in TV sketches always gave me the impression that he wants his "personal space" respected--even when an old friend like Ernie gets too close.
Okay. I see what you're saying. I just thought people other than me would interpret it that way.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today at school, I saw a girl wearing a shirt that had Ernie and Bert and behind them was a rainbow. On the back of the shirt, it said, "You complete me" in rainbow colors. Did anyone else see that shirt? Who came up with that shirt?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Today at school, I saw a girl wearing a shirt that had Ernie and Bert and behind them was a rainbow. On the back of the shirt, it said, "You complete me" in rainbow colors. Did anyone else see that shirt? Who came up with that shirt?
That was mentioned a few times on another thread and possibly this one. It's from Hot Topic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just piggybacking on this thread so I don't have to start another one. I'm watching part of a subtitled Rechov Sumsum and they have this skit where Ernie has a room of his own. Now, ignoring the basic budgetary hoohaa about having another set (and it's very cluttered) how come I never knew of them having separate rooms in any other skits? I know there's a kitchen, and a bathroom... but I never knew of any other rooms in the house. They sleep in the living room, after all.

Mr Devco

Reaction score
Am I the only person sick of hearing this about this? It's as old and unfunny as a joke about George Bush or Michael Jackson.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Am I the only person sick of hearing this about this? It's as old and unfunny as a joke about George Bush or Michael Jackson.
That's why we have this thread... one of the mods who was ALSO sick of it decided to put his foot down. And I can't blame him.

Mupp

Reaction score
Am I the only person sick of hearing this about this?

I have to agree.

I just have to say that I never thought that Ernie and Bert were gay. When I first heard that "rumor" years ago, I was very surprised.

The Sesame Workshop would NEVER present a gay couple to preschoolers.

Bert and Ernie are just friends who share an apartment, and they remain friends despite their differences.

Do people actually think that just because two people of the same gender share an apartment, that automatically makes them gay?

Ernie and Bert are not gay and they were never intended to be.

Mr Devco

Reaction score
The fact we even need to have a thread about it is pathetic. :sympathy: