Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Mupp

Reaction score
I also want to add that Ernie and Bert are two of my favorites characters on Sesame Street and I certainly hope that this false "rumor" isn't the cause of thier absence of new material as of late.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The fact we even need to have a thread about it is pathetic. :sympathy:
:frown: Really? Are you uncomfortable with the idea of gay Muppet characters or that it shouldn't matter either way?

Personally, I don't think it should matter and I believe the interpretation of Bert and Ernie, like all good Muppet bits, should be left up to the viewer. The target audience is preschool age so they're probably not thinking in such terms. Of course Sesame's success has always been in entertaining parents and fans of all ages just as much as kids so some of them might see different things in the characters and that's okay. Things don't always have to be put in boxes and labeled - - even though Ernie and Bert probably do live in labeled boxes. :stick_out_tongue:

Yorick

Reaction score
If prejudiced people go on about this topic, then I don't want to hear it, but if someone who respects everyone equally wants to talk about them being a couple, that's fine. Everything's relative.:stick_out_tongue:

Yorick

Reaction score
Of course Sesame's success has always been in entertaining parents and fans of all ages just as much as kids so some of them might see different things in the characters and that's okay. Things don't always have to be put in boxes and labeled
Right on!

even though Ernie and Bert probably do live in labeled boxes. :stick_out_tongue:
HA! :big_grin:

Yorick

Reaction score
Though, in the new Muppet youtube video...it almost seems like he's writing a love song for Bunsen.
Though I enjoy the character on the show, it seems tough to love Bunsen. After all he puts Beaker through, I don't know how Beaker can even still be friends with Bunsen.:confused::eek:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Just realized that I haven't truly responded to this thread yet. So here are just some thoughts and comments based on a few of the earlier posts.

To my knowledge,I don't think kids see anything wrong with Bert & Ernie living together!
Exactly. When I was watching Sesame Street back before kindergarten, I wasn't really thinking too hard on things like that. I just accepted it for what I saw it as.

the best answer I've heard to the Ernie and Bert are gay rumor (and I can't remeber who said but it was someone from SW) was this...

"What difference does it make? They're puppets. They don't have anything below the waist!"
Yeah, besides, it's not like they'd show anything inappropriate on a show, movie, etc. geared towards the youngsters.

It's so easy to make assumptions when characters are in pairs and male.
And it's easy for pre-teen/teenage girls to assume that a girl is dating a boy just because they're friends, despite never really doing anything that would imply it.

Besides that and the infamous cage dancing, Scooter did get really excited when Elton John came on
Well, I'll admit that I would have reacted the same way, as opposed to many, "Um, who is that?" responses to over half the guest stars they had, and it's not like that's implying anything. (Of course, I don't date, regardless of gender, so I'm not really the best example for that.)

DreeRAWRScooter

Reaction score
I also want to add that Ernie and Bert are two of my favorites characters on Sesame Street and I certainly hope that this false "rumor" isn't the cause of thier absence of new material as of late.
yes :stick_out_tongue:+:frown:=FRIENDS! seriously... i love those two! they better not leave because of some false rumors

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
yes :stick_out_tongue:+:frown:=FRIENDS! seriously... i love those two! they better not leave because of some false rumors
Mupp said:
The concern some fans have about what could or could not be happening in the off-screen private lives of a couple of puppets never ceases to amaze me. I think the fear speaks for itself.

This wink and nod toward the two roommates is a concept that will always be floating around pop culture and what the frog should it matter? Ernie and Bert conduct themselves as professional Muppets on the show. What other things one reads into the character is not only cool, but it's intended for open interpretation.

Personally, I think they are a couple, but I equally respect those who don’t. There really is no answer to the question. The Muppets don’t really like to nail anything down to the permanent record. That’s how it works.