Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just bought the DVD release yesterday, and I kept rewatching this scene. Previously when watching it's been hard for me to see so many things, but now I've noticed so much more. The picture is much brighter on DVD.

Earl Kress mentioned that he had Ernie put his arm around Bert, but it's too small to see, even on a TV screen. Well I noticed Ernie's hand beside Bert.

Kress also said that he has never been able to find Oscar in that shot, even though he was right behind Ernie and Bert. Well I think I saw Oscar. I saw a bit of green fur (behinds Ernie's hand), and it must be Oscar's. It seems like Oscar's performer wasn't holding him up very high (maybe that performer should have been with the group of performers who were performing small characters).

A few other things that I noticed...

There is one anything mupet who I always thoguth was Guy Smiley, but when watching the DVD, it seems like he was just another character from the same Anything Muppet pattern. His hair sort of resembles Elvis Presley's, and it looks like he has a red or orange nose, and is more round than pointy. I saw Guy Smiley somewhere else (unless I'm mistaking that character, too).

I thought that all of the Sesame Street characters (except for Kermit... and Beautiful Day Monster) were all togetehr, but I noticed a Sesame Street monster or two farther away, near the far right back of the crowd (I saw a gray monster, used for Kermit the Grof in the sketch where Kermit wanted to pick up a personalized t-shirt).

I noticed that the male and female Koozebanian creatures were in the very back. It would have been smarter to have them be up front (especially since their babies were in the front).

There are still things I didn't see or notice. I thought I had read that Herbert Birdsfoot, Roosevelt Franklin, and Roosevelt Franklin's mother were in the scene, but I couldn't find them there.

Tim

Reaction score
Roosevelt and his Mom were almost right behind me (LIttle Bird) and near to The Snowths on the extreme right hand side edge.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim said:
Roosevelt and his Mom were almost right behind me (LIttle Bird) and near to The Snowths on the extreme right hand side edge.
I'll have to look closer, then. Although it was hard to see them, I did see Little Bird and the Snowths.

unclematt

Reaction score
It is so neat to have people that were actually there

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Regarding who Jerry Nelson performed, if we are to assume that the main performers (Jim, Frank, Jerry, Dave, and Richard) performed two of their characters each, and were in the center where the main characters (from The Muppet Show) were, then I think Jerry Nelson performed Robin and Crazy Harry. They were both besides eahc other (and for the first time ever, I noticed that Fozzie was holding Robin in his arm). I thought maybe Nelson would have performed Floyd and another of his characters, but I didn't see any other Jerry Nelson characters next to Floyd (Shakey Shanchez, who never had a consistent performer, was next to Floyd).

unclematt

Reaction score
I think Jerry had to have Robin but I could see them handing Crazy Harry off to anybody

minor muppetz

Reaction score
unclematt said:
I think Jerry had to have Robin but I could see them handing Crazy Harry off to anybody
Well, Robin was next to Crazy Harry, and having Nelson perform both makes just as much sense as Richard Hunt performing both Statler and Janice (as opposed to Scooter and Janice, or at the very least it makes as much sense as Statler and Waldorf not being performed by the same person in that scene). Fozzie was holding Robin in his arm, but I doubt that either Oz or Nelson would have performed both Fozzie and Robin.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Earl Kress mentioned that he had Ernie put his arm around Bert, but it's too small to see, even on a TV screen. Well I noticed Ernie's hand beside Bert.

Kress also said that he has never been able to find Oscar in that shot, even though he was right behind Ernie and Bert. Well I think I saw Oscar. I saw a bit of green fur (behinds Ernie's hand), and it must be Oscar's. It seems like Oscar's performer wasn't holding him up very high (maybe that performer should have been with the group of performers who were performing small characters).
When you say you noticed Ernie's hand beside Bert, what did you mean? Ernie's right arm was stuffed and pinned to his chest, so maybe that is what you are seeing.

I agree that Oscar's performer wasn't holding him up very high, if at all in some takes. A lot of people around me were complaining about their arms hurting and I think she got bored with doing the same thing over and over.

:stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
When you say you noticed Ernie's hand beside Bert, what did you mean? Ernie's right arm was stuffed and pinned to his chest, so maybe that is what you are seeing.
I meant that I saw Ernie's hand on the ther side of Bert (unless that was Oscar's eyebrow that I saw).