Beautiful Day Monster Appreciation thread

BEAR

Reaction score
He's okay. Never cared for him too much.

Rosewood

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of him?

I have seen only a few of the earliest episodes as of late, and have seen some pretty funky muppet monsters, to say the least. But I still have yet to see exactly what this monster looks like. All I know so far is that it supposedly has 4 eyes. :confused:

BEAR

Reaction score
Also, anyone know where/how he got his name? "Beautiful Day Monster" is very strange to me.

Splurge

Reaction score

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Beautiful Day Monster is a pretty cool monster to have on both The Muppet Show and on Sesame Street. He was only around for the first season of Sesame Street and he was mainly taken out probably due to scaring kids.
His name originates from a sketch on The Ed Sullivan Show that he originally showed up on where he came around and ruined a little girl's "beautiful day". However, she wound up talking her problems down to size and didn't let his pessimism get her down. (You'd have to see the clip). There's a better description of it in the Review of the Muppet Magic on the Ed Sullivan Show video on the site.

Beautiful Day Monster did show up with 4 eyes in 1 sketch with Ernie and Bert where Ernie gives Bert a test on how many legs a chair has and so forth until he gets to the drawing of BDM. Of course, Bert doesn't believe such a monster exists because he's so ugly with 4 eyes and then the monster rises up from behind Ernie's drawing and comes chasing Bert out of the screen. Definitely pretty scary for SS. He's also been in 1 other sketch that I know of where he looks more like the BDM that we see on TMS. (i.e. 2 eyes) In this sketch, Ernie gives Bert a whopper of a story on how the cupcakes he was saving for dessert after dinner are gone. Ernie of course ate one and there was still 1 left. Ernie told Bert that a monster had come and eaten it and left Ernie holding the bag. (or in this case, the fork and napkin, with crumbs all over him) Bert gets angry and leaves and then BDM comes and does exactly as Ernie described and totally freaks out Ernie. Bert comes back to find the other cupcake gone and Ernie tries to tell him that BDM really did come and eat it, but Bert is just totally exasperated by now and leaves again, with Ernie still shaking and really freaking out. This is one of the few times Ernie winds up being the one who has the joke pulled on him. :frown: :stick_out_tongue:

Of course, Beautiful Day Monster is also cool because he's one of a select few that I count as crossovers between The Muppet Show and Sesame Street. (That very short list consists of Kermit the Frog, Rowlf (a technicality), Beautiful Day Monster and Gladys the cow.)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
actually they were 2 poeces of regualer chocolate cake but it was funnt. the moral of the segment is. if you lie about a monster comming in and stealing cake, eventually it will happen.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Beautifal Day Monster's name originates on the sketch from Ed Sullivan because he doesn't like beautifal things. There was several versions of this monster including a small version which appeared in: 'Sesame Street'; 'The Muppets On Puppets.' He only appeared on the first season of Sesame but then appeared on The Muppet Show with a little different less creepy look.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember a lot of Muppeteers performed Beautiful Day.

Frank Oz in Sesame Street
Richard Hunt in The Muppet Show
Dan Redican in The Jim Henson Hour
Kevin Clash in that Cosby Show episode.

I think of all the BD performers, Frank did the most scariest voice for him.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you there, Xerus....the Frank Oz Beautiful Day was the scariest, with that low gravelly voice. Oh, and when he'd open up his eyes really wide....yipes! My heart would stop every time I'd see him and I'd go running out of the room.

It's funny how I actually remember a bunch of clips with him in it....but I don't understand how I know them if I always ran out of the room everytime he came on. :smile:

Well, anyway..... The clip that always scared me the most was when Kermit was trying to explain the letter B and BD came into the scene. Long story short, at the end, he yells "BAAAAH!" really loud and the whole screen turned white. That scared (and scarred me) for years. I mentioned this before a long time ago, but after that clip (since I didn't realize he had a name), I named him the "B Monster." I was the one who's mom "flushed him down the toilet" to try and help me combat my fear of him. :smile:

I also remember another one with Kermit that really freaked me out.....The most I remember now is seeing him put ketchup on an umbrella and eating it, and then he ate a Beatles 45 record and exclaimed something like, "Yum! Beatles!"

But, now since years have passed, I think he's kinda groovy. I still wouldn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with him breathing in my face, but really, who would? :smile: