Ask Ken at Palisades

Luke

Reaction score
Squig,

If you looked at the 'Daily Bit' a while back, Ken's original designs and doodles were on there.

Luke
- Who didn't spot K.Lilly Loves H.Klum scribbled in the margin-

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Squigiman

It got us thinking about Buddhism and stuff, and how it's got some really good points. It really makes sense that if you depend on material things for happiness, you'll never be truly happy. Just thought I'd share some interesting thoughts.
:smile: nicley put, i just got my lab set yesturday and i think it's great and all, but after i heard that the 9 miners that were trapped in a cave for about 3 and a half days were rescued safely and returned to their family gave me happiness:smile:

Zack)Rowlf the, Godbless those family's,Dog.

MaxGoof

Reaction score
Big Splashat Botcon!

Ken, I just got back from the 2002 Botcon in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (For those who don't know, Botcon is the annually-held convention for Transformers fans in North America.)

I thought you'd appreciate it knowing that The Muppet Show made an excellent showing for itself at Botcon! Botcon is 99.9999% Transformers, but there are always a few other things mixed in. This year, there was ONE booth with new Masters of the Universe, TWO booths with Star Wars Saga stuff (including the slick new X-wing!), THREE booths with classic 3 3/4" GIJoe stuff, ONE booth with Lord of the Rings figures, ONE booth with the Euro Simpsons (Apu and Marge single-carded!), and... THREE booths with stuff from The Muppet Show!

At the very start of the convention, there were several Dr. Teeth, Dr. Bunsen, EB Piggy, and Muppet Labs toys available. At the end of the first day, everything Muppets was sold out (including my first Muppet Labs--YESSSSS!), which is amazing because they didn't even sell all the X-Wings, Apus or Mer-Men!

I realize three booths at a robot convention sounds like small potatoes, Ken... but comparatively, I think this penetration's pretty impressive, don't you? Good work! :big_grin:

grail

Reaction score
Re: Big Splashat Botcon!

Originally posted by MaxGoof
but comparatively, I think this penetration's pretty impressive, don't you? Good work! :big_grin:
you know...sometimes it's better if i just don't comment on things.

in other news...so YOU bought that Muppet Labs set...i was gonna get a second, but decided against it at the last minute. but i did get autographs from the voice cast, Pat Lee, and Simon Furman!!! woo! the upcoming toys look pretty spiffy too.

MaxGoof

Reaction score
in other news...so YOU bought that Muppet Labs set...i was gonna get a second, but decided against it at the last minute. but i did get autographs from the voice cast, Pat Lee, and Simon Furman!!! woo! the upcoming toys look pretty spiffy too.
WHOA. That's AMAZING!!!! Who would have thought that the other person (or one of them) that bought a Muppet Lab set at Botcon would be on this board and the first to reply to my post!!!

It just goes to show--the Muppets are taking over our small, small world. :big_grin:

Oh, and in case you're interested, grail--I got to talk with Simon Furman for a few minutes when he wasn't busy--no Nightbeat in "The War Within", but he said he loves writing the character and we'll almost certainly see him in a big role in a possible future project. Woo-hoo-hoo-HOO!!! :smile:

grail

Reaction score
actually, i meant i almost bought it AS a second one, i bought my first at TRU.

so he's planning more projects, eh? hmm...i only got a moment to talk to him, and didn't get a chance to ask. i started a thread about BotCon in the "general discussion" forum, that i put a link to pics into, go check it out!

MaxGoof

Reaction score
Question for Ken:

I want to pay for my Club Membership and extra VC Beaker via Paypal. Should I send in one Paypal payment for both, or make two separate orders? Do I still need to send out my contact info/registration form via Snail Mail, or can I just include my contact info on my Paypal payment?

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Just include your contact info with your Paypal payment and send in the total amount for both Beakers in the one payment to Paypal. Sending in a separate form is not necessary.

Squig-what I do is basically like the director of a movie. From start to finish I direct the process and most of the time design the product, with tons of steps in between. There are a lot of folks involved in that process along the way with their own specific contributions to the product.

You asked specifically about design. Sometimes it is as simple as a napkin sketch. Sometimes a turnaround drawing is required. All depends on the piece and how much time I have. I would outsource more design drawing if I could, but I never really have the budget for it, so I tend to do it when I can get to it on each project.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Ken, one quick question:

Did Floyd's mustache ever get that trim?

Also, one suggestion:

If you ever do Uncle Deadly, someone mentioned a pipe organ as an accessory, and I think a skull would go great too. After all, Uncle Deadly is not just a Halloween type figure, but he was a Shakespearean actor- see the episode with Twiggy, he says "My Hamlet was acclaimed as the greatest ever!"- another reason to include the skull. Perhaps it could be like the talking skull from the Christopher Reeve episode, or, though I'm sure this is impossible, do Yorick. I know he never appeared on TMS and I'm sure it's impossible but I just wanted to mention it to see what others say. A skull and a pipe organ, the two perfect accessories for the Vincent Price of the Muppet repertory company.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole