ABC cancels GCB

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
No no no no, I have never seen this show so I have no idea just how offensive it is, I was merely making a comment about how quick some people are to point fingers when their religion is made fun of, but don't care about it when someone else's religion is made fun of. It was not aimed at you or anyone else on this forum

Beauregard

Reaction score
Like other shows arent? When will christians get off their high horse about it being ok to make fun of all religions except theirs?
Sure...that happens. There was definitely a point when Christianity was basically the only religion being lampooned on public television. Luckily, other religions seem to have loosened up a bit lately so that everyone's beliefs can be ridiculed these days.

Bea:zany:{*ahem* *steps off soap box*}regard

Edit: Okay, just saying. :smile:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
No no no no, I have never seen this show so I have no idea just how offensive it is, I was merely making a comment about how quick some people are to point fingers when their religion is made fun of, but don't care about it when someone else's religion is made fun of. It was not aimed at you or anyone else on this forum
Okay. From my perspective, it just seems like it's more okay for Christianity to be ridiculed, but when another religion is ridiculed it's an outrage. It makes no sense to me. Why don't we just not offend every religion all together?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I liked it! :embarrassed:

I completely understand why the title and premise offended people. These women are heightened representations of a subset of Texas Christian socialites. I grew up in Houston, Texas up with a lot of people who are disturbingly close to the depictions in GCB. That's why I found it so funny and oddly comforting. Not every Christian person behaves like the crazy women in the show. The fact is that most don't and I don't think that was appropriately addressed by the writers. They were clumsy.

It boils down to feeling one's religion is under attack. I wouldn't have supported the show if that were the case. The failure to establish these particular women from mainstream Christianity didn't help. Real-life Christian Kristin Chenoweth's involvement didn't calm concerns about the controversy either. It's important to point out that the Christian backlash didn't kill the series. Bland writing did. The critics didn't like the show and it didn't pull in enough audience members to sustain it.

The stars, the premise and the production value were all there, but the weekly material wasn't that interesting so it got the axe.

So did The River, Missing, Pan Am, Are You There, Chelsea?, Harry's Law, Awake, Bent, The Firm, Best Friends Forever, A Gifted Man, Alcatraz, The Finder, Breaking In, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Ringer and The Secret Circle

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I completely understand why the title and premise offended people. These women are heightened representations of a subset of Texas Christian socialites.
That's probably it then...

Texans are among those who can dish it, but can't take it... of course, then again, my Biology teacher once put it best when she said, "The reasons Texans think they're big shots is because they used to be their own country"... and they actually still have the power to succeed again, but I understand if they do, then they won't be allowed back into the union again.

But yeah, I've heard enough stories about Texans to know that they pretty much are their own little society, but at the same time, you try to make fun of them, or present them in a satirical way, then they go all to pieces over it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's probably it then...

Texans are among those who can dish it, but can't take it... of course, then again, my Biology teacher once put it best when she said, "The reasons Texans think they're big shots is because they used to be their own country"... and they actually still have the power to succeed again, but I understand if they do, then they won't be allowed back into the union again.

But yeah, I've heard enough stories about Texans to know that they pretty much are their own little society, but at the same time, you try to make fun of them, or present them in a satirical way, then they go all to pieces over it.
Hahaha! A lot of that info is true. I could tell you stories. :laugh: There's a reason I left Texas for NY and live in Cali now, but I wouldn't incorrectly paint all Texans with the same brush like GCB painted Christians. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sure...that happens. There was definitely a point when Christianity was basically the only religion being lampooned on public television. Luckily, other religions seem to have loosened up a bit lately so that everyone's beliefs can be ridiculed these days.
Except for when simply drawing a picture can get you death threats.

I applaud South Park for actually being one of the few shows on TV that honestly will lampoon every religion. And get a great deal of flak for the crime of being fair.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like other shows arent? When will christians get off their high horse about it being ok to make fun of all religions except theirs?
I'm sick of this "WAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH! Why can't we be makin' fun o' Muslins instead?" crap. The "controversy" was spread by the VERY same big mouth who claim Christianity so people will buy their books. The very same people who are so far removed from what Christianity really is, that they break commandments for FUN. I'm far more offended as a Christian that Rush Limbaugh claims he's a Christian than even the nastiest Family Guy joke. he's like the biggest hedonist on the planet.

And of course, EVERYONE who complains about television shows being controversial NEVER actually watches it. They just want to start the "be offended by everything" cause that makes everyone think there's some big evil Hollywood conspiracy to make people accepting.

Still, the REAL problem of the show is that if they just waited until September, there's a huge gap in the scheduled left by the "finally" cancelled stale Desperate Housewives. But no... they rushed it to the 10 PM slot, mid season replacement and the thing never found an audience.

Seriously... I say this every time... Seinfeld wouldn't have lasted a season.