50th Anniversary DVD announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

datman24

Reaction score
My man Ringo is still alive. Saw him live last year in September!
I've also seen Ringo Starr live on stage, along with Paul McCartney. It was the closest thing to a Beatles reunion concert that I have seen. However, no one has yet explained to me who Paul McCarthy is, and why there are only two living beetles left on earth?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Interesting, as I look at the press release and see some of the celebrities listed, Madeline Kahn has appeared in the oldest clips, as far back as season 9. Maybe it'll include one of her season 9 appearances (I'd guess Sing After Me is most likely), or maybe one of the two street stories she was in, or maybe her "M-Madeline" bit from around season 19. Or it could be the celebrity "Put Down the Duckie", though if this set does have a celebrity montage or two (or however high), I doubt the press release would mention celebrities whose appearances here are only in the celebrity montage.

Most of the celebrities listed seem to be from more recent appearances, but the list of celebrities included probably isn't complete. There have been past DVDs where the press releases mentioned more celebrities than who appeared in the final product (some a lot more, I think). Of course there aren't too many unreleased earlier celebrity appearances I desire that much (I do hope it has James Earl Jones reciting the alphabet, and Lena Horne's version of "Bein' Green", and some of Judy Collins' appearances). Of course Jeff Goldblum is confirmed, and his only appearance on the show was the street story where he plays Bob's brother, so that's basically a confirmed street story.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While I trust Joe's statement that the crossover of segments that appeared in 40 Years of Sunny Days and/or the Old School sets are minimal and we'll be getting a lot more new-to-video content, I do find it interesting that most of what's been confirmed so far via these press releases is stuff that appeared on those DVD sets, and most of the confirmed stuff that wasn't on those sets are segments made after season 40. But I guess they want to announce some of the really best-known segments that casual fans would be interested in (of course there's a few things from those other sets that I'm surprised aren't in the announcement - assuming they are included in this set, whether it's the versions from those releases or different versions). But wouldn't it be something if the only repeats from those sets are what's mentioned in these articles?

It says that it has Kermit singing "Bein' Green". If it were the one with Lena Horne, I assume she would have been mentioned with Kermit in the article. So I wonder which one it will be. Both of the solo Kermit versions have been released on video, though the season 7 version has only been released on VHS and not DVD. The original seems to be the "go to" version that Sesame Workshop puts out, I do like that one better than the other solo Kermit version but I'd rather have a different season one Kermit segment (and we don't know that it won't have more than one Kermit segment from the first season; of course we also technically don't know that it won't be just one).

I thought of something that would make a cool selection of bonus features: Alternate versions of segments in the main program that have alternate versions. Not really altered opening title sequences or segments where sound effects/music was added in later airings, but stuff that had alternate shot footage (like the two versions of Henson Ball #3 or "Please Take a Number, Sir!", or Monsterpiece Theater segments where the Alistair Cookie portions were reshot). Maybe even segments where two different takes/edited versions were made and aired (where we get one of the takes as part of the main program and the other as a bonus), if the differences are significant enough. But if it's a segment where something was simply cut from later airings, I'd rather just have the full, uncut version than both versions.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that most of what's been confirmed so far via these press releases is stuff that appeared on those DVD sets
Anything super well-known is bound to be included. For example, it's 100% likely that "Rubber Duckie" will be included!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
And it will be the season 2 version since the season 1 version is pretty much dis-acknowledged now. :shifty:

Sorry for the negativity, but that is one pet peeve I have with the workshop in regards to that song.

Status
Not open for further replies.